This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

Beating Yale in regulation or OT would have had MTU move up to 21...Yale would have dropped to 14.

Getting swept by UAA is going to haunt MTU.

Splitting that series would have MTU at 19 right now...
    Tying one game would have MTU at 21

MTU needs to do well in the 2nd half and hope the UAA series doesn't matter but if it continues to kill them, they'll have to hope for a game (or 2) vs UAA in the WCHA playoffs to fix that part of the comparison...
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-12-2016, 01:13 PM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So I looked at CHN's "modify game results" and I have determined what result we want in each series involving WCHA teams for MTU's RPI (first number if series goes as listed, 2nd if reverse happens, splits and ties put RPI change somewhere in between):
      FSU sweep UAH (increase of 0.0001 and decrease of -0.0004)
      NMU sweep UA_ (least important series, someone these games drop our RPI no matter what, results change our RPI by -0.0002 or -0.0001 depending on who sweeps)
      LSSU sweep UAA (increase of 0.0010 and decrease of -0.0001)
      BSU sweep ASU (increase of 0.0015 and decrease of -0.0021)
      BGSU beat Miami (increase of 0.0006 and decrease of -0.0016)
      I'll try and take a look at this every week.
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Did anyone notice that Mel split up Birks and Watson for the first time in the Yale game? (Or at least I am unaware if they did it in the GLI as well.)

Birks does not give me a lot of confidence that that there wont be a turnover...

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I thought we were unprepared for how quick yale was. They were really good with their feet and were able to create turnovers most teams would not. Yale was also better defensively than I have seen from anyone else this year, and the front of the net was a tough place to be, and they were really good positionally.
          We on the other hand were faster than I think Yale was ready for, and we took advantage of poor changes by Yale several times for good shots.
          Also Yale got away with a lot on the interference side of things and poor Petan got mugged on more than one occasion.
          We were equal to them on loose pucks until late in the third when Yale really got to a lot more of them than we did especially in our end. We looked gassed.

Tech's fans were outstanding. The misfits were tremendous and I think really were much better than any other school there in terms of support. I mean how many other schools would have the president of the university there and starting cheers.I think it was really eye opening for the east coast teams to see.

BTW the best cheer award goes to...."Harvard rejects... clap clap, clap clap clap."
          Call us anything you want, I will take 2013 over 1975, good luck the rest of the way!
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            Call us anything you want, I will take 2013 over 1975, good luck the rest of the way!
            I'll take 1962, 1965, and 1975 along with 7 other Frozen Four appearances over 2013 and one other. Win all the rest of your games until the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              I'll take 1962, 1965, and 1975 along with 7 other Frozen Four appearances over 2013 and one other. Win all the rest of your games until the NCAA's.

Starting to sound like Michigan football fans. All but one of their national titles were won prior to WW2, and some before the forward pass was invented. Tradition is nice, but at the end of the day, i'll take a 2013 national title.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                Starting to sound like Michigan football fans. All but one of their national titles were won prior to WW2, and some before the forward pass was invented. Tradition is nice, but at the end of the day, i'll take a 2013 national title.
                What do you mean? You're going to support Yale now? I thought we supported Michigan Tech because it's our alma mater, not because of some metric that says they're successful.

Also, the vast majority of Tech students couldn't have gotten into Harvard themselves, so that chant is lamentable.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                  What do you mean? You're going to support Yale now? I thought we supported Michigan Tech because it's our alma mater, not because of some metric that says they're successful.

Also, the vast majority of Tech students couldn't have gotten into Harvard themselves, so that chant is lamentable.

Not a Yale supporter at all. I'll always be a Tech fan. Just stating I'd rather have a national title from 3 years ago versus one from 41 years ago.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post

That was one chant that the ASU band actually started. We just helped them
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

The Mel Pearson show podcast is posted, but here a couple points I took away.

I wonder if Dirk just talked to one person that missed the Sunday game or if there was a decent number of fans that missed it because they thought it was the late game.

Mel P show notes:
                      Happy with championship - learn from playing Michigan and Yale in championship games

Mel thanked alumni/fans, big turnout in AZ - Mel talked to fans from all over

Dirk said some fans did not go to the Sunday game because they assumed it was the late start for the championship
                      Tickets were printed - championship game at 3PM

Yale was home team - they asked Mel if they could wear their dark jerseys and they chose to go 1st in shootout
                      Plan was always to do 5 min then shootout, 4x4 was discussed for a bit before the tournament but decided to stick with NCAA guidelines
                      They gave away tickets to the correct guess of who would've gone 3rd in shootout - Heinonen

Questions for Mel:

Why didn't we move up in the PWR with a tie against Yale?
                      Mel is on committee that sets pairwise, there are some flaws. A lot is your league and how you do against other leagues. That's why it's so important to win non-conference games.
                      Key for WCHA is we aren't doing well outside of conference, especially Mankato early they had some tough games.
                      We all know the system and what we need to do. We're as good as a lot of teams in top 16 of PWR and see where we end up.

Do you wish for longer OT?
                      Not longer, 5 mins is good. 4x4 might be good. There will be some talk in our league, there's been a number of ties. Not sure Mel is a shootout guy.

How does recruiting budget compare to Michigan?
                      Michigan is unlimited. We have a good budget here, no real restrictions, we have a numberbut haven't hit that number last few years. Thanks to Snregret and Mroz for that.

This Weekend:
                      Blueline club luncheon on Friday
                      Black out the Mac on Friday - free posters for kids
                      Saturday is junior hockey night - skate with Huskies afterwards

Such a good trip and fan following ASU asked about our interest in returning in 2 years. Mel thought we had more fans than other 3 teams combined. They have a field set next year, but in 2 years is a possibility.

Comment

Hey, what's the URL for the Mel Pearson Show in podcast form? I'd listen to that.

GFM <— wonders if anyone ever listens to This Week in the WCHA
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          Hey, what's the URL for the Mel Pearson Show in podcast form? I'd listen to that.

GFM <— wonders if anyone ever listens to This Week in the WCHA
                          On the On Demand tab.
                          http://portal.stretchinternet.com/mtu/

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            The Mel Pearson show podcast is posted, but here a couple points I took away.

I wonder if Dirk just talked to one person that missed the Sunday game or if there was a decent number of fans that missed it because they thought it was the late game.
                            The Michigan Tech section (110) was significantly less full on Sunday than Friday. I'd say at least a third of the MTU fans there on Friday did not make it on Sunday.

Comment

Found this video of the shootout and award ceremony from last weekend. I sure wish there were better game highlights available. Is anyone aware of anything better than what is on the Tech website?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfZLJP0ZlA

Comment

Realistically Tech has to get to the top 14 rather than the top 16. To get there we need some wins vs top 20 teams. the only ones around are Mankato and BGSU. And we not only need wins, we need to win the comparison vs them.
                                I think Tech is playing top 14 hockey right now based on the last 4 game stretch, which helps but we need some teams to lose a few. . So looking around,... any league, like say HE that has 5 teams in right now, has at least 1 or maybe 2 vulnerable. That would be Lowell and Notre Dame. NCHC teams vulnerable, Denver and Duluth. ECAC, St Lawrence in particular.
                                Now there are some teams who can cause real changes in rankings and who are playing maybe better than their record. WMU,Northeastern, Vermont, CC, Can all help us. Also the Northstar cup games could matter to us.
                                But of course the biggest thing is for us to win games.
                                Oh, and I hope we do not go to Arizona again in the foreseeable future. Once was nice, but lets go somewhere else for a while..
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X