NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Howat is actually from the Detroit area. He's from Brighton, played some junior for Victory Honda, also played NAHL for the Michigan Warriors.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

2016-17 Recruits Listed On The Current NMU Hockey Roster

Darien Craighead
      Surrey, B.C. - Chilliwack (BCHL) - Forward - (6'1" 170lbs)

Collin Peters
      Sheboygan, Wis. - Lincoln (USHL) - Forward - (6'0" 165lbs)

Rylan Yaremko
      Spirit River, Alta. - West Kelowna (BCHL) - Defenseman - (6'3" 205lbs)

Philip Beaulieu
      Duluth, Minn. - Madison (USHL) - Defenseman - (5'10" 195lbs)

Comment

2016-17 NMU HOCKEY RECRUITS (ANNOUNCED SIGNINGS)

Darien Craighead
        Surrey, B.C. - Chilliwack (BCHL) - Forward - (6'1" 170lbs)

Collin Peters
        Sheboygan, Wis. - Lincoln (USHL) - Forward - (6'0" 165lbs)

Rylan Yaremko
        Spirit River, Alta. - West Kelowna (BCHL) - Defenseman - (6'3" 205lbs)

Philip Beaulieu
        Duluth, Minn. - Madison (USHL) - Defenseman - (5'10" 195lbs)

2016-17 NMU HOCKEY RECRUITS (UNANNOUNCED SIGNINGS)

Tyger Howat
        Newport, R.I. - Coquitlam (BCHL) - Goalie - (6'5" 215lbs)

Demico Hannoun
        Delta, B.C. - Penticton (BCHL) - Forward - (6'0" 195lbs)

Luke Voltin
        Blaine, Minn. - Penticton (BCHL) - Forward - (6'0" 195lbs)

Brett Heikkila
        Marquette, Mich. - Minnesota (NAHL) - Forward - (5'8" 170lbs)

Keegan Ward
        Gatesburg, Mich. - Omaha (USHL) - Forward - (6'2" 190lbs)

Luke Jaycox
        Warroad, Minn. - Lincoln (USHL) - Defenseman - (6'2" 200lbs)

Comment

Incoming 2016-17 NMU Wildcat Freshman Defenseman Recruit Rylan Yaremko invited to NHL New York Rangers camp

June 27th, 2016

NEW YORK - Incoming Northern Michigan defenseman Rylan Yaremko (6'3" 205lbs) (Spirit River, AB) was one of 31 players invited to the New York Rangers development camp, which will be held June 27 to July 1 at the MSG Training Center.

Yaremko will attend the camp fresh off of winning the RBC Cup, the Western Canada Cup and the Fred Page Cup with the BCHL's West Kelowna Warriors. The 6-foot-3 Spirit River, Alta. native is one of seven defenseman to receive an invite.

Last season, Yaremko was at his best in postseason play. In RBC Cup action, he tallied four points (2g-2a) in six games to help West Kelowna capture its first Junior A National Championship. He netted a goal in the semifinals against Brooks (AJHL) and in the finals against Lloydminister (AJHL).

During the BCHL playoffs, Yaremko totaled seven points (2g-5a) in 24 games. To capture its first Interior Division title, West Kelowna had to go through the Penticton Vees and Tyson Jost, the 10th overall pick in the 2016 NHL draft who registered 104 points (42g-62a) in 48 regular-season games. Yaremko largely contained Jost, holding the North Dakota commit to five points (2g-3a) as the Warriors pulled off the upset in six games.

Yaremko played for West Kelowna from 2014 to 2016, registering 51 points (17g-34a) in 113 regular-season games. In 2015-16, he recorded his best offensive numbers in every major statistical category with 34 points (13g-21a) in 56 games.

Comment

NMU's Dominik Shine To Attend NHL Edmonton Oilers Camp

July 1st, 2016

EDMONTON — Northern Michigan senior forward Dominik Shine (5'11" 175lbs) was one of 36 players invited to the Edmonton Oilers orientation camp, which will be held July 2-7 in Jasper, Alta.

Shine was invited to the camp after being one of only four WCHA skaters to average at least a point per game in league action during the 2015-16 campaign. He finished third in the WCHA with 25 points (12g-13a) in 25 games and tied for sixth in overall points with 30 (15g-15a) in 34 games.

The WCHA's first two-time Player of the Month and an all-WCHA second team selection, Shine led the Wildcats in goals, shots (114) and game-winning goals (4). He also ranked second on the team in points and plus/minus (+7).

Shine was the definition of consistency from December on; he was held off the scoresheet only six times in 24 games and ran together point streaks of six and nine games from Dec. 11 to Jan. 9 (5g-4a) and Jan. 30 to Feb. 27 (4g-8a) respectively.

At the 2015 Great Lakes Invitational, Shine netted a goal in both games to become only the third Wildcat to earn a spot on its all-tournament team. He also represented Northern Michigan on the Hobey Baker fan ballot, finishing ninth in a 66-player field in the first phase of voting with 2,497 votes.

Shine enters his final season in Marquette with 67 points (28g-39a) in 98 career games. He set career highs in every major offensive category last season.

As an incoming freshman in 2013, Shine was one of 38 players who attended the Detroit Red Wings development camp. Shine is one of two Wildcats attending an NHL team's development camp this summer; incoming freshman defenseman Rylan Yaremko is currently at the New York Rangers camp.

Comment

Red Wings re-sign Former NMU goaltender Jared Coreau to two-year extension

Netminder ranked among AHL leaders last season in Grand Rapids

July 6th, 2016

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today re-signed goaltender Jared Coreau to a two-year contract extension.

Coreau, 24, ranked among American Hockey League leaders last season with 29 wins (5th), a 2.43 goals-against average (10th), a 0.922 save percentage (T-4th) and six shutouts (3rd) in 47 games played for the Grand Rapids Griffins. Coreau also suited up for three postseason games for the Griffins, posting a 2-1-0 record, a 1.89 goals-against average and a 0.949 save percentage.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound netminder strung together 11 straight wins last season from Nov. 18 to Dec. 26 and was named the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for December, going 9-2-0 with a 1.92 goals-against average and a 0.938 save percentage in 11 games. In all, Coreau owns a 45-27-3 record, a 2.44 goals-against average, a 0.921 save percentage and nine shutouts in 77 appearances with the Griffins.

The Perth, Ontario, native signed with the Red Wings during the 2012-13 campaign after spending three seasons at Northern Michigan University of the CCHA. Coreau owned a 32-31-8 record, a 2.72 goals-against average, a 0.919 save percentage and two shutouts in 76 games with the Wildcats.

Comment

NMU Incoming Freshman Defenseman Rylan Yaremko Talks Rangers Development Camp

July 7th, 2016

NEW YORK - Incoming NMU (6'3" 205lb) Freshman Defenseman Rylan Yaremko (Spirit River, AB) spent five days training and skating alongside elite prospects at the New York Rangers' development camp. Yaremko sat down with NMUWildcats.com to talk about his time in the Big Apple.

Walk us through a typical day at the camp.

In the morning, we'd wake up around 7:30, and we'd bus to the rink. It was just your typical camp. We were in the classroom for a little bit, we had off-ice sessions, and we had about two ice sessions a day. We'd get out around 5:00 so it was a long day, but we learned a lot of stuff. Overall, it was a great experience.

How will the lessons you learned at the camp help you transition to the college game this year?

It was good to see how far along those guys are in their development. I realize how much harder I need to work, and I learned a lot of little things that will help me improve my game.

The camp was a mix of college, major junior and professional guys. What was it like competing against those different groups?

There was around five other college kids, and you could tell they were strong because they get to be in the gym so often. The pro guys are at a whole new level. You can tell they deserve to be where they're at based on their game and all the little stuff they do right. They're all very good players. Every guy in that camp was a very good player.

Many NHL teams incorporate crazy team-building exercises, like blindfolded basketball, or cool field trips into their development camps. Did the Rangers do anything like that?

We were lucky enough to tour Madison Square Garden. After that, they took us to the One World Trade Center, which is the tallest building in New York. We got to go up to the highest floor, and it was amazing to get to see how big the city really is. It just never ends. After that, they took us out for a nice meal right on the water. It was a great experience, and a good way to see the city.

What was the highlight of the camp?

I would say the overall experience of getting to see how players are treated. I've never experienced anything like it because this was my first camp. To go through the training NHL players do was invaluable. It was good to see what they do, how they do it, where they practice, how they practice. It's an experience I won't forget.

The Rangers' development camp was held June 27 to July 1 at the MSG Training Center. In 2015-16, Yaremko won the RBC Cup, the Western Canada Cup and the Fred Page Cup with the BCHL's West Kelowna Warriors.The Spirit River, Alta native recorded his best offensive numbers in every major statistical category, recording 34 points (13g-21a) in 56 games.

Comment

DRD: you're supposed to provide links to the stories you're pasting in. Failing to do so violates copyright and can get USCHO in deep trouble.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

2016-17 NMU Men's Hockey Coaching Staff

#1 - Walt Kyle - http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi..._walt?view=bio

#2 - John Kyle - http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi..._john?view=bio

#3 - Doc Lehtinen - http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi.../lehtinen_john

#4 - Rob Lehtinen - http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...n_rob?view=bio

#5 - Phil Fox - http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi..._phil?view=bio

I hope "gfmorris" approves of this NMU post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I do.

GFM <— knows that people know who he is and what he does, although noms de plume are always just fine with him.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Your a good man Mr Morris.
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                          Your a good man Mr Morris.
                          I don't know about that. I do cheer like hell when UAH beats LSSU. That sweep in the Soo was our best weekend of the year (if you don't prefer tying Mankato twice.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I watched UAH put the whooping on the Lakers in the Soo in person. I wasn't trying to be a smart axe so I'm not sure where you are coming from. So I guess I agree with you I don't know about that.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to NMU Senior Forward John Siemer (5'9" 175lbs) and NMU Junior Defenseman Zach Urban (6'3" 205lbs)???? Both of them aren't listed on the 2016-17 NMU Hockey roster from the NMU website???? They were both top line players for NMU the past two seasons!!!!!!!

Comment

Siemer recently signed with Greenville ECHL.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X