Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread 2015-16

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    I don't have a huge issue with opinions on what is or isn't "as good" as it was (though I do think it is very premature to judge anything when we are only a little over 2 years into the changes... league strength has always proven to be cyclical). But it does tend to annoy me when people talk about the TV schedule now vs. the past and act as if it was so much more robust back in the WCHA days. It may not all be on the same network every weekend like it used to be but the team is on TV pretty similarly in numbers to what they were in the WCHA days (games at MTU and UAA were often not broadcast in those days, we didn't always get every non-conference series back then, and we didn't always get Colorado games either). Pretty close to the same broadcast numbers to what we will see this year.
    They're jockeying around the start times and days upon which the games are played now. Prior to the B1G Mistake, it was pretty much a set schedule except when playing in another time zone. Games at Mariucci were at 7:00 both Friday and Saturday, now they're on a Thursday at 6:00 and Sunday at 5:00 this week (figuratively), but then next week they'll be on at 9:00 Friday, and 7:00 Saturday.

The Gophers lost their ability to dictate their own schedule, they've become beholden to the BTN scheduling masters, and their masters just don't care about the once strong program. The Gophers don't scare too many teams on their schedule at the moment, and it will likely stay that way if they can't generate interest in the program from the young kids.

Add to that, the other regional schools, like my SCSU, and even the Purple Cows, have gained traction in their recruiting efforts over the last few years as they've found late season success, hired better recruiters, and these kids have the promise of being the campus studs. The U can't offer that same glitz, and the campus is so large that it's been known to cause some top level recruits to go elsewhere over the years, traditionally up to the UND Angry Birds or Duluth, but the States are starting to take some more of those recruits. The best thing the U has in its favor right now is Bucky's quagmire being so great that Madison has become so very unattractive for the big talents interested in playing college hockey over the major juniors.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

True, but if I remember correctly, they haven't raised ticket prices in 4 or 5 years. That's not to say that $35/game isn't a little ridiculous, but at least it hasn't gone up.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
        True, but if I remember correctly, they haven't raised ticket prices in 4 or 5 years. That's not to say that $35/game isn't a little ridiculous, but at least it hasn't gone up.
        Look at the price for single game tickets.

It's F ing absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          Look at the price for single game tickets.

It's F ing absurd.
          Solution: Standing Room for $20. Then move down to an open seat - usually there are plenty to pick from.

https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            They're jockeying around the start times and days upon which the games are played now. Prior to the B1G Mistake, it was pretty much a set schedule except when playing in another time zone. Games at Mariucci were at 7:00 both Friday and Saturday, now they're on a Thursday at 6:00 and Sunday at 5:00 this week (figuratively), but then next week they'll be on at 9:00 Friday, and 7:00 Saturday.
            The time of games isn't much of a factor. The reality is most fans I know really don't care about games scheduled 30 to 60 minutes later than they used to be. Just gives them more time to enjoy another adult beverage at one of the local pubs. In fact, the only time I've personally heard my horde of Gopher friends complain about any change in time is if it is a Friday game earlier than 7. But that isn't commonplace as it only happens once this year so it isn't a big deal.

The Gophers lost their ability to dictate their own schedule, they've become beholden to the BTN scheduling masters, and their masters just don't care about the once strong program. The Gophers don't scare too many teams on their schedule at the moment, and it will likely stay that way if they can't generate interest in the program from the young kids.
            If the masters didn't care, they wouldn't be putting the money into arena upgrades next year (and further improvements down the road)... and the key words are "at the moment" when it comes to the current team. Given their stretch of success of recent seasons, I think your view is rather skewed here. Even the very best programs are going to have a year here or there that aren't up to their high standards. I can assure you that the interest among young kids is very good. I'd point out all the top young kids they have down there at camps throughout the summer (at youth levels as well as bantam) as one example. You won't see the bulk of those top kids camping it at any other D1 school in the state.

Add to that, the other regional schools, like my SCSU, and even the Purple Cows, have gained traction in their recruiting efforts over the last few years as they've found late season success, hired better recruiters, and these kids have the promise of being the campus studs. The U can't offer that same glitz, and the campus is so large that it's been known to cause some top level recruits to go elsewhere over the years, traditionally up to the UND Angry Birds or Duluth, but the States are starting to take some more of those recruits. The best thing the U has in its favor right now is Bucky's quagmire being so great that Madison has become so very unattractive for the big talents interested in playing college hockey over the major juniors.
            LOL... You clearly don't follow recruiting if you think this is a department that has been lacking for the Gophers. First of all, they seldom go head to head with Mankato or SCSU because those schools know it is going to be a losing cause the vast majority of the time. I can tell you this much... there is not one recruit in SCSU's current pipeline of verbals that the Gophers pursued with any verve. I'm not saying that makes them bad players but your idea of "gaining traction" is a misfire when those same kids aren't being pursued by the school you are discussing. Frankly, there really have only been two schools that have had much fortune against the Gophers in recruiting and only one of them (UND) has traditionally been much of a rival in that department. UMD is the other but their success rate has been more inconsistent than anything. With over 4 million in long overdue upgrades at Mariucci coming up (locker rooms, training rooms, player lounge and film room), I think they'll be in pretty good shape. Thanks for the concern though. lol
            Last edited by Hammy; 11-23-2015, 06:17 PM.
            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

In fact, the only time I've personally heard my horde of Gopher friends complain about any change in time is if it is a Friday game earlier than 7.
              As a STH, yes this is what I don't want to become commonplace. Later is fine. Actually non-weekend games, too, so maybe I take that back.
              Last edited by Bonin21; 11-23-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Solution: Standing Room for $20. Then move down to an open seat - usually there are plenty to pick from.

https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
                I haven't looked at prices since the beginning of the year, but SRO was $30+ for a large number of games as of the beginning of November - including the St. Cloud games. They must have dropped the price, likely due to poor attendance so far.

At any rate, SRO isn't always a good option for folks bringing kids or in groups in general. I never minded, but I also always went by myself and didn't mind standing up top. In fact, I'd usually pick up an actual seat from a scalper for $10-$20 depending on the opponent, and just post up behind Sec 13, 15 or 16.

EDIT: Looking at prices for the remaining home games, SRO and zone 4 have almost all dropped from where they were a month ago. Maybe the athletic dept. actually IS taking notice.

Comment

Could call it taking notice or shady in that fans could buy and have major price drops the next day. I'm fairly certain SCSU tickets started at 60-70 for a seat and are now at 30-60.
                  Last edited by Bonin21; 11-23-2015, 08:58 PM.

Comment

The time of games isn't much of a factor. The reality is most fans I know really don't care about games scheduled 30 to 60 minutes later than they used to be. Just gives them more time to enjoy another adult beverage at one of the local pubs. In fact, the only time I've personally heard my horde of Gopher friends complain about any change in time is if it is a Friday game earlier than 7. But that isn't commonplace as it only happens once this year so it isn't a big deal.
                    Did you pay attention to the attendance of the Thursday game they had last year? Mariucci was maybe half filled, a few people told me it was more like 40%. My brother, a season ticket holder, refused to go because he has an early morning job. When you look at how that arena fills out, a lot of people don't show for the oddly timed games. The 4PM starts toss a fair number of fans out of sorts. The BTN is hurting the program.

If the masters didn't care, they wouldn't be putting the money into arena upgrades next year (and further improvements down the road)... and the key words are "at the moment" when it comes to the current team. Given their stretch of success of recent seasons, I think your view is rather skewed here. Even the very best programs are going to have a year here or there that aren't up to their high standards. I can assure you that the interest among young kids is very good. I'd point out all the top young kids they have down there at camps throughout the summer (at youth levels as well as bantam) as one example. You won't see the bulk of those top kids camping it at any other D1 school in the state.
                    So the BTN is cutting a check to the U of M to upgrade Mariucci?

LOL... You clearly don't follow recruiting if you think this is a department that has been lacking for the Gophers. First of all, they seldom go head to head with Mankato or SCSU because those schools know it is going to be a losing cause the vast majority of the time. I can tell you this much... there is not one recruit in SCSU's current pipeline of verbals that the Gophers pursued with any verve. I'm not saying that makes them bad players but your idea of "gaining traction" is a misfire when those same kids aren't being pursued by the school you are discussing. Frankly, there really have only been two schools that have had much fortune against the Gophers in recruiting and only one of them (UND) has traditionally been much of a rival in that department. UMD is the other but their success rate has been more inconsistent than anything. With over 4 million in long overdue upgrades at Mariucci coming up (locker rooms, training rooms, player lounge and film room), I think they'll be in pretty good shape. Thanks for the concern though. lol
                    You're right, I'm not out there sniffing high school kids' jocks like you enjoy. I pay attention to the players once they enter the college scene, with only a few exceptions and that's because I either knew the players personally or I knew their families, like Jack Sadek's dad, aunt and uncle who grew up a few houses away on the cul de sac from me. However, I do know that the Gophers have lost recruits over the years to in-state rivals that aren't named UMD. Whether they pursued them very hard is another question, but I'm happy Mark Parrish chose SCSU over the U, for one.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Did you pay attention to the attendance of the Thursday game they had last year? Mariucci was maybe half filled, a few people told me it was more like 40%. My brother, a season ticket holder, refused to go because he has an early morning job. When you look at how that arena fills out, a lot of people don't show for the oddly timed games. The 4PM starts toss a fair number of fans out of sorts. The BTN is hurting the program.
                      You are also focused on a small percentage of games. If you focus your attention on the occasional outlier, I don't blame you for having a point of view that doesn't reflect reality. Besides, we both know that they aren't going to worry about the occasional game that isn't greatly attended as long as the tickets were sold.

So the BTN is cutting a check to the U of M to upgrade Mariucci?
                      BTN money isn't a part of the equation for the upgrades. Over 4 million raised from donations/gifts. We certainly appreciate the $30+ million the BTN provides our athletics every year though

As for your final paragraph, you simply confirmed what I already knew... you were talking out of your *** in your original post on a subject (recruiting) that you are ill informed on. Congrats on that.

Oh... and I never said SCSU has never received a commitment over the U. But since you seemingly appeared to be focusing on the PRESENT tense, I focused on that aspect. I wasn't really thinking we were going to revert back to names like Parrish from 20 years ago as examples on present day situations. lol
                      Last edited by Hammy; 11-23-2015, 10:07 PM.
                      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Stauber - there's been no worry getting a seat with SRO this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Stauber - there's been no worry getting a seat with SRO this season.
                          Not at all, and the majority of games in past seasons it hasn't been too tough either. But I think people in groups or with kids probably aren't too keen on the idea of being asked to move while the game is going on, or standing on the rail for the first period scoping out where there are 3 or 4 seats together.

It's also worth repeating that prices for SRO have been dropped. They were $25 or more for the majority of games the past couple years, and $25 for the first few games this season with an increase for the Duluth series (as well as the Mankato and St. Cloud series as of a month ago). But like I said, if you go by yourself you don't have to pay that much. I got into the Duluth game this year for $15 and both the NU games for $10 a night (was a nice send-off to hear the Battle Hymn one last time!).

But the impetus for this discussion was a comment that tickets hadn't gone up in price over the past few seasons, based on season ticket prices - which if you don't count the "donations" is true...but single game tickets have definitely been jacked up, and I think that (among other things) has had an impact on actual attendance.

Comment

The Mavs/Gopher game at Mariucci was about 60% full. We bought SRO and had our choice of some very prime seats on the red line. We chose to sit near in the student section behind Schierhorn and saw the OT goal that won it for the Mavs. Nice move and shot but Collins made bad move by going down instead of taking the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              Not at all, and the majority of games in past seasons it hasn't been too tough either. But I think people in groups or with kids probably aren't too keen on the idea of being asked to move while the game is going on, or standing on the rail for the first period scoping out where there are 3 or 4 seats together.

It's also worth repeating that prices for SRO have been dropped. They were $25 or more for the majority of games the past couple years, and $25 for the first few games this season with an increase for the Duluth series (as well as the Mankato and St. Cloud series as of a month ago). But like I said, if you go by yourself you don't have to pay that much. I got into the Duluth game this year for $15 and both the NU games for $10 a night (was a nice send-off to hear the Battle Hymn one last time!).

But the impetus for this discussion was a comment that tickets hadn't gone up in price over the past few seasons, based on season ticket prices - which if you don't count the "donations" is true...but single game tickets have definitely been jacked up, and I think that (among other things) has had an impact on actual attendance.
                              Did you buy SRO at the window or on the street?
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Gopher Sports preview with articles on Brodinski and Bristedt:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...112515aaa.html
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X