Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Did I mention that I have access to both a Challenger Hellcat and a Charger Hellcat.
    Those are prime examples but I prefer real "muscle cars" and those haven't been built since 1971. One thing for sure I wouldn't take an old muscle car up to the speeds you could take one of those though
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Those are prime examples but I prefer real "muscle cars" and those haven't been built since 1971. One thing for sure I wouldn't take an old muscle car up to the speeds you could take one of those though
      Dodge restarted its Hellcat production last year. Very limited numbers, IIRC.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        It is actually quite difficult to increase a "mere mortal" car's speed beyond about 150 MPH. Above that point aerodynamic drag starts pushing back exponentially harder and harder.

For scale, the Bugatti Veyron only needs about 250 of its 1000+ HP to reach 150 MPH. Heck, a Camry makes that much power these days. The Veyron needs everything else it has to continue to 250. And that's with the caveat that the tires will eat themselves within 10 minutes.

Plus you need a couple miles of clear runway to hit that speed - rarely available on a public road.

Either this guy had a fully loaded 1000 HP+ drag special or we're dealing with cop math.
        Well, it was in Oklahoma and from what I remember from driving across Oklahoma, it's pretty flat and straight. That and I believe the guy is supposed to be some sort of racer there as well. Having some after-market additions under the hood of that Mustang is well within the realm of possibilities.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

My Chevy shook a ship!!!
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            I actually know what he's referring to.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I've been lucky so far in life, in that I've yet to have to really "shop" for a car... I just acquired cars from my parents for nothing while in school. With my dad working for an auto supplier, I was able to go the "non-negotiable" price route for my truck. Very simple and no hassle.

Well, now I'm having to go purchase a used car, and I feel so dirty and out of place. I know games are being played by dealers, but I'm oblivious to them. Anyone have any tips from their car buying experiences? Any good resources that have basic Do's/Dont's?

All I've really done so far is that I only deal in "Out the door" prices. That just seems to be shrugged off by the sales people and they continue their games. I'm just not used to negotiating. Not used to the high pressure sales tactics. Just a case of choosing the wrong dealerships to do business with?
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Use KBB.com, Edmunds.com, and carsoup.com to find price ranges. Use Carfa***** and find a mechanics shop with a good reputation that offers pre-purchase car checks. Paying a couple hundred, or even a few hundred, to know what you're getting helps a lot of people.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I was googling for about 2 months. Found price ranges, different dealerships, etc. Knew my budget (that is very key, obviously). Mapped out different interest rates/monthly payments/down payments, as well as what I actually wanted and needed in a vehicle. Some places were obviously no haggle, some were open to haggling (the ones that didn't haggle made it rather clear on the website).

Basically, get ALL the information you can, no matter how trivial, before you go in. The more you are prepared, the less likely they will dcik around. Don't be afraid to walk away, either.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Meh. It's like the first time you have sex. You spend way too much time thinking about it, you get there, negotiations take significantly less time than you think, then there's the crying afterwards because you got screwed and now you feel used. Wait, no. Not that last part.

Seriously though, look up the car on True Car, get your price, offer them $500 less than True Car price, accept their counter. I think the negotiations for my MDX took all of five minutes.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Meh. It's like the first time you have sex. You spend way too much time thinking about it, you get there, negotiations take significantly less time than you think, then there's the crying afterwards because you got screwed and now you feel used. Wait, no. Not that last part.

Seriously though, look up the car on True Car, get your price, offer them $500 less than True Car price, accept their counter. I think the negotiations for my MDX took all of five minutes.
                      That's about the same for me. They saw that I had all info at hand, and didn't jerk me around. It was a matter of getting the loan (my only previous loan ever was so old, it was off my history).

Comment

My first loan is almost 15 years old now. Still there.

Besides, it doesn't matter what your car loan history is, only your credit score matters. Sure it's a part, but they don't care. They just want to know your. Umber.
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          My first loan is almost 15 years old now. Still there.

Besides, it doesn't matter what your car loan history is, only your credit score matters. Sure it's a part, but they don't care. They just want to know your. Umber.
                          I am aware. The bank apparently asked if I had EVER taken out a loan before. I will say, having the same residence (10 years) and same job (15 years) helped. Rarely use my CC. I just don't buy what I can't afford. *shrug* I hate owing money, even short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I am aware. The bank apparently asked if I had EVER taken out a loan before. I will say, having the same residence (10 years) and same job (15 years) helped. Rarely use my CC. I just don't buy what I can't afford. *shrug* I hate owing money, even short term.
                            I use my CC daily, still only buy what I can afford as I never have a carryover balance. You simply have to be disciplined. Also, the CC gives me cash bonus, so it increases my annual purchasing power.

Comment

Same here Everything goes on the credit card. I've had it since I was 15. Paid it off every month. It's responsible for about 60-80 points in my credit score. If I were to cancel my card, I'd drop well out of the 800s.
                              Code:

Comment

Picked up a 2017 Mazda3 2.5T today. 6-speed manual. Having fun.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X