Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars: 2015

Reposted from tLodge:

Any VW Golf GTI owners here? Would likely buy new. Everything about that car makes complete sense for me - small, good gas mileage (getting sick of filling my Wrangler, and want something I can take on a road trip without breaking the bank,) can drive it daily and hold stuff, quick enough to be interesting but not get me killed or arrested, front wheel drive (I admittedly know just enough Gran Turismo to be dangerous.) Could spring for the automatic with flappy paddles as well - wouldn't have to futz with a stick in traffic and this is one of those cars where the automatic may actually be better (it's the same dual clutch gearbox used in a lot of the Audis and the Lamborghini Huracan.)
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Reposted from tLodge:

Any VW Golf GTI owners here? Would likely buy new. Everything about that car makes complete sense for me - small, good gas mileage (getting sick of filling my Wrangler, and want something I can take on a road trip without breaking the bank,) can drive it daily and hold stuff, quick enough to be interesting but not get me killed or arrested, front wheel drive (I admittedly know just enough Gran Turismo to be dangerous.) Could spring for the automatic with flappy paddles as well - wouldn't have to futz with a stick in traffic and this is one of those cars where the automatic may actually be better (it's the same dual clutch gearbox used in a lot of the Audis and the Lamborghini Huracan.)
      Just so I/we don't bog tLodge down with car jibberish, I've heard pretty good things about the GTI, I'd imagine it would suffice what you're looking to get/do.

Ironically, my Touareg is in at the VW dealer. Threw a check engine light about a week ago, they're hoping it's a sensor buried in the deep dark caverns of the engine bay. It should probably get comfortable there, with the whole diesel emissions re-fit coming at some point too...

Comment

Cars 2015

The North American International Auto Show is starting this week. I can live without Saturn, it's Pontiac that I miss.

Comment

Uhhhh...the NAIAS was in mid-January.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            ha, yeah... I was just hoping to have it more than a month before it happened.
            At least it was a minor scratch.

We bought a new car (nothing fancy, Subaru Forester) last June. In November we got rear-ended by someone in a giant pickup truck. We were stopped in traffic after a hockey game, he was 'adjusting his radio' and looked up to see the quarter mile long line of stopped traffic. Slammed his brakes and cut the wheel, but it was too late (at least he didn't hit us straight on I guess, he hit the right back corner). The impact pushed us into a pickup truck in front of us. $14,500 in damage, so not enough to for our insurance company to total it. We were thinking about trading it in when we first got it back from the body-shop (we usually buy new and keep vehicles at least 10 years and we weren't too excited about having a vehicle with almost $15K in repairs for another 9.5 years). We never got around to it, so I guess we are keeping it for now.

Comment

After the diesel emissions thing, why would anyone buy a VW? And I realize the GTI isn't a diesel
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Mom had a real blast last week. Some friends of her's had their truck in the shop and needed to get up to Midland for a horse show. So she let them borrow her truck to let them get their trailer and horses up there. Sunday morning they go to start her truck up to leave and it doesn't turn over. They eventually get it over to a dealership up there and eventually figure out that the security module in the darn thing was shot and that told the truck to not start because it thought it was being tampered with. The simple fix for it would have been just to pull the module out and bypass it. But that it was a dealership they couldn't do that. Then they couldn't find another module anywhere because the truck is a 98 1 ton Chevy silverado. Took them most of the week before they were able to track one down from a junkyard somewhere and swap it out.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

http://nyti.ms/293y63X

Reports that VW will offer up to 10k, in addition to the option of buying back or 'fixing' affected diesel vehicles under the EPA scandal.

Estimated cost as of these figures is just under $15 Billion.

Comment

Anybody have some loose cash lying around? LOTS of loose cash!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/mo...t-auction-eve/
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

On the way home tonight, saw a BEAUTIFUL 1940s Packard convertible. Pristine condition, everything about it was jaw-dropping.

Black, with tan interior, and of course the monstrous hood ornament. Pretty much stared at it for 10 minutes, eyeing it over.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Tesla has taken a beating this past month with some crashes being reported while the car was in "Autopilot" mode.

For those unaware, yes, Tesla's can be put into Autopilot where it will maintain speed and direction of your car, with occasional checks to see if you're still in control, otherwise Autopilot will guide the car to a safe stop.

First there was the distracted Tesla driver who didn't see the broadside of a white semi truck against the overcast Florida sky, and neither did the autopilot system, leading to a Final Destination-esque ending.

Then there was a guy in Pennsylvania who claimed his Autopilot also crashed his car.

Elon Musk got access to the black box of the Tesla in the Pennsylvania crash and said: Nope, you caused your own crash.

In looking at the Tesla log report summarized in the article, the driver fell asleep.

40 second prior to the crash, Autopilot detects no user input and starts audibly and visually warning the driver to retake control.

At 25 second prior to the crash, while still warning the driver, the car begins to slow down in an attempt to safely pull to the side of the road.

At 11 seconds before the crash, the driver then placed his hands on the steering wheel, turned left, and stepped on the accelerator. Note: at this point, manual control is assumed by the car and Autopilot is disengaged.

Then, with just a second before the crash, the article gracefully describes the scene:
                        ... Approximately 300m [and ten seconds after regaining manual control] the driver drifted out of the lane, collided with a barrier, overcorrected, crossed both lanes of the highway, struck the median barrier, and rolled the vehicle.
                        Asleep. Or drunk. Or both. My money is on he fell asleep and won't admit it.
                        Last edited by aparch; 07-15-2016, 06:49 AM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Seems to me that there's a robustness issue with the system.

It seems REALLY obvious to me that a natural and high possibility in this mode is for a tired driver to fall asleep.

Which means they need a better way of dealing with it. And if the car had lane control and brake control (which I would presume it does, given what it can do)- it should be capable of making it hard for a driver to go from basically asleep to making sudden inputs.

Not to say that it's not driver's fault, and that he fell asleep. But that Tesla does need to figure out a better way of dealing with it. It's going to happen again- 100% of that.

Comment

No way. I'd rather it pull itself over rather than prevent driver override.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Most trains do this. If no controls are pressed for 30 seconds, they will sound an alarm, then after 45 seconds they will automatically brake the train.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X