Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    This clusterfark is now expanded to gasoline cars...

VW may not survive this when it's all said and done...
    That's mostly a European issue. And while one will fully expect that their fuel economy will drop, the penalties for that in the US are less.

Also- it mentioned a small amount of gas cars.

I would not jump to too many conclusions based on this article.

Also- about the fines and recovery. It will be massively painful, but they won't go away. VW will be saved by the German government, and instead of massive fines, people will go to jail. But it will be very painful.

Comment

This clusterfark is now expanded to gasoline cars...

VW may not survive this when it's all said and done...
      Thinking about it a little more- this recent "revelation" is a diversion. The NEDC cycle used in Europe as well as the standards for setting a car up to test pretty much ensures that it's not close to the real world- so not only are the gas emissions higher, but the fuel economy is worse. By bringing this up, IMHO, VW is basically trying to drag all of the European OEM's down with them, as the off cycle is so different. The problem is- VW actually is admitting that they do something beyond having poor off cycle correlation. Nobody else is.

This side of the controversy will likely result in some accelerated changes to the laws in the EU. First- the test needs to be more realistic- so that when you buy a Fiat 500 that claims that it's getting 45mpg, you won't be angry that you only get 35 (that happened). Second- it needs to be more realistic- so that the data generated by EU states will correlate to air quality- the EU has been tightening their standards pretty nicely, but it has not resulted in better air- whereas similar work in the US has (significantly). Third- they need to re-think the idea of giving diesel an advantage- which they already have been doing- as the Euro VII and later proposed standards bring the gas and diesels much closer. There are some things in place in Europe to go from a lab tested car to a random drive cycle test measured live on the road. Either that will be massively accelerated or a more global drive cycle will be used soon.

FWIW- the EU had good intentions when they did this- it was all about the Kyoto agreement, and they projected diesel technology will progress faster than it has. But as time went on, I think the EU started to notice that they were missing key agreements, so they adjusted the set up of the test. Which has now resulted in a BIG difference in off cycle emissions and fuel economy compared to the certified tests.

(and the US system is a lot different)

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Thinking about it a little more- this recent "revelation" is a diversion. The NEDC cycle used in Europe as well as the standards for setting a car up to test pretty much ensures that it's not close to the real world- so not only are the gas emissions higher, but the fuel economy is worse. By bringing this up, IMHO, VW is basically trying to drag all of the European OEM's down with them, as the off cycle is so different. The problem is- VW actually is admitting that they do something beyond having poor off cycle correlation. Nobody else is.

This side of the controversy will likely result in some accelerated changes to the laws in the EU. First- the test needs to be more realistic- so that when you buy a Fiat 500 that claims that it's getting 45mpg, you won't be angry that you only get 35 (that happened). Second- it needs to be more realistic- so that the data generated by EU states will correlate to air quality- the EU has been tightening their standards pretty nicely, but it has not resulted in better air- whereas similar work in the US has (significantly). Third- they need to re-think the idea of giving diesel an advantage- which they already have been doing- as the Euro VII and later proposed standards bring the gas and diesels much closer. There are some things in place in Europe to go from a lab tested car to a random drive cycle test measured live on the road. Either that will be massively accelerated or a more global drive cycle will be used soon.

FWIW- the EU had good intentions when they did this- it was all about the Kyoto agreement, and they projected diesel technology will progress faster than it has. But as time went on, I think the EU started to notice that they were missing key agreements, so they adjusted the set up of the test. Which has now resulted in a BIG difference in off cycle emissions and fuel economy compared to the certified tests.

(and the US system is a lot different)
        I don't buy for a second this is a diversion. This is still going to cost them an assload of money.

Carbon dioxide is not an immediate health hazard but is one of the main causes of global warming. One of the advantages of diesel is that it burns more efficiently, and thus produces less carbon dioxide and better fuel economy. Volkswagen said it had overstated the fuel economy and underestimated the carbon dioxide emissions of the 800,000 cars.

The €2 billion would be in addition to the €6.7 billion the company has already set aside to begin covering the cost of repairing the diesel cars it rigged to cheat on emissions tests.
        http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/bu...n-dioxide.html

They are probably just cleaning house and getting all of the bad news out in one news cycle so they can recover, if possible. It's better to have a single cycle that is much worse than prolonged coverage about how you continually **** up.

It's also probably cheaper in the long run to get a single large fine than two medium to medium-large fines. Had they released this information say a year or two after the fines were levied and the news had died down, you can be sure that second fine would be much larger than it would have normally been.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My point is that relative to Europe, people are going to find that all cars don't meet the CO2 emissions they get on their NEDC test. Yea, this is going to cost them a lot. But I see them trying to drag more into this mess.

Comment

Just bought a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring and I love it. Getting great mileage (32-34), Deep crystal blue with parchment/sand interior. I'll be immodest here, but it is a great looking car. I'll be interested to see how it handles a Boston winter.
            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
              Just bought a 2016 Mazda 6 Touring and I love it. Getting great mileage (32-34), Deep crystal blue with parchment/sand interior. I'll be immodest here, but it is a great looking car. I'll be interested to see how it handles a Boston winter.
              Should be fine with the right tires.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

So, like a dumb***, I managed to get a very slight scratch on the new car. Looks like it's just on the clear coat. Accidentally hit it with a hose end and left a 1/4" scratch.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my best option is to get that fixed? I'd rather not do it myself since I want it done right without further damage.

Feeling pretty sh**ty right now.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Have you tried buffing it out first? You just need a buffing pad and some polish (not wax). Maguire's and 3M both make good products. If it's just a clear coat scratch then you're done just a few bucks spent. Then, if the scratch is gone and you want, wax the paint. Worse comes to worst, you didn't fix the scratch and just find a good auto body shop to do a paint match. It'll be $400-500 at a reputable shop.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Its the most minor of surface scratches. Id still probably pay the $500 to get it out professionally. I want this to be as closed perfect as possible. I don't trust myself to do anything.
                    Code:

Comment

Its the most minor of surface scratches. Id still probably pay the $500 to get it out professionally. I want this to be as closed perfect as possible. I don't trust myself to do anything.
                      Seriously, if you follow what's written on the bottle for instructions, you cannot screw up a polishing job unless you have a physical tick from Turret's Syndrome. Apply pressure, but don't try to rub through the paint.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Make sure to create a spreadsheet of all professionals in the area, to compare costs and reputations.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

first scratch on a new car sucks, once you get a few door dings from shopping or work parking lot that scratch will seem meaningless. I say just wait, worse things are going to happen to your new car
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            first scratch on a new car sucks, once you get a few door dings from shopping or work parking lot that scratch will seem meaningless. I say just wait, worse things are going to happen to your new car
                            ha, yeah... I was just hoping to have it more than a month before it happened.

I'll probably take it to a body shop and see what they can do. I'm sure this is child's play to them, but after dropping that kind of cash on a car, I want it to stay rust-free for as long as possible.
                            Code:

Comment

ha, yeah... I was just hoping to have it more than a month before it happened.

I'll probably take it to a body shop and see what they can do. I'm sure this is child's play to them, but after dropping that kind of cash on a car, I want it to stay rust-free for as long as possible.
                              If all it got is the clear coat, rust isn't going to be an issue. Take to a body shop. Thats what they do for a living
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Never fear, road warriors, there is hope for us remaining behind the wheel! http://www.usatoday.com/videos/money...3/09/81526496/

Comment

Working...
                                X