Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Outside of the last two years, Wranglers have scored average or worse every year since 2000.

3 - 2000
    NA
    NA
    NA
    NA - 2018

Consider yourself lucky.
    Don't how far back that goes, but mine was a 1999. Heck, it still had the stock cassette player in there.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The new Mazda 3 was unveiled in LA this week. Very minimalist styling, I'm betting people will love it or hate it, or of course not care.

More of note is that the top trims will have the new Skyactiv-X engine. It incredibly lay terms it combines the technology of standard gas and diesel engines. Uses ultra-high compression and ridiculously complicated timing. Compared to their 2.0 and 2.5 naturally aspirated 4-bangers, anyway.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        The new Mazda 3 was unveiled in LA this week. Very minimalist styling, I'm betting people will love it or hate it, or of course not care.

More of note is that the top trims will have the new Skyactiv-X engine. It incredibly lay terms it combines the technology of standard gas and diesel engines. Uses ultra-high compression and ridiculously complicated timing. Compared to their 2.0 and 2.5 naturally aspirated 4-bangers, anyway.
        The problem I have with the high compression stuff is that it requires higher octane fuel. That's not always available in CO - 85 is considered "regular" and even 91 can be tough to come by (my local station calls 89 "premium.")

Granted, the thinner air at altitude means you can run the lower octane stuff on average cars, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting 89 in something that calls for 91 minimum.

Then again, I see Nissan GT-Rs around here which are infamous for getting fussy if you feed it anything less than 92, so I dunno.
        Last edited by Twitch Boy; 11-30-2018, 09:16 PM.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Saw a Kia Stinger in traffic yesterday.

That look keeps growing on me - very Tesla-esque. Looks like if Samsung made a car (makes sense, I suppose.)

With sporty sedans going out of vogue in favor of Moar Bland AWD Crossovers With Decent Seating And Cargo Room I bet I could get a smokin' deal.
          According to Wiki, the Stinger is made in Kalingrad as well as South Korea. Does this make it the car of choice for Republicans?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            The problem I have with the high compression stuff is that it requires higher octane fuel. That's not always available in CO - 85 is considered "regular" and even 91 can be tough to come by (my local station calls 89 "premium.")

Granted, the thinner air at altitude means you can run the lower octane stuff on average cars, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting 89 in something that calls for 91 minimum.

Then again, I see Nissan GT-Rs around here which are infamous for getting fussy if you feed it anything less than 92, so I dunno.
            This engine, that SoH mentioned should not have the same low-octane issues as standard spark ignition engines. The lower octane fuel will auto-ignite at lower pressures, which is why it normally should not be used in high CR engines. But in a compression ignition engine, you want the fuel to auto-ignite due to high pressures. Theoretically, lower octane fuels would be better than high octane for this engine, but in reality, that completely depends on the design targets the engineers at Mazda used when developing this engine.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              This engine, that SoH mentioned should not have the same low-octane issues as standard spark ignition engines. The lower octane fuel will auto-ignite at lower pressures, which is why it normally should not be used in high CR engines. But in a compression ignition engine, you want the fuel to auto-ignite due to high pressures. Theoretically, lower octane fuels would be better than high octane for this engine, but in reality, that completely depends on the design targets the engineers at Mazda used when developing this engine.
              Check out the big brain on Brad! You a smart mother f*er! /PulpFiction
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Check out the big brain on Brad! You a smart mother f*er! /PulpFiction
                Hey, cut me a break, I'm a Civil. :P
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  Hey, cut me a break, I'm a Civil. :P
                  Well, I have been a engine combustion/performance/emissions focused engineer for many years. The internal workings and performance of internal combustion engines is something I'm very familiar with.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Mazda has been working on this a looooooong time. Pretty much right when the Skyactiv motors were coming out. They made a calculated decision to put it out in the 3 first. While I sells well, they only have about 2% of the global market in the class. No way they were throwing it into the CX-5 or CX-9 first. Also why they went ahead and really took a leap styling-wise.

Comment

Mazda has been working on this a looooooong time. Pretty much right when the Skyactiv motors were coming out. They made a calculated decision to put it out in the 3 first. While I sells well, they only have about 2% of the global market in the class. No way they were throwing it into the CX-5 or CX-9 first. Also why they went ahead and really took a leap styling-wise.
                      Was looking at the '19 Miata (which has/will have the older Skyactiv) and was curious about the 91 octane preference.

Comment

Was looking at the '19 Miata (which has/will have the older Skyactiv) and was curious about the 91 octane preference.
                        I'd love a Miata. But it just ain't happening with a little one on the way and the both my wife and I having to work. Maybe someday I'll get a little roadster during the upcoming crisis.

Don't get the Fiata. I know it's tempting, but they go around the track at about the same time. Most will still drive these things around town, and the turbo lag in the Fiat is atrocious, or so I hear. The Fiata's suspension is great, though. I've watched a lot of video reviews where people put them head-to-head, and as I mentioned before the track times are almost identical. However, all of them felt like the Mazda HAD to be faster, before hearing their time. This is probably from a much more lively suspension that made them work a bit harder.

Another competent to this new skyactiv-x is that it does have an itty-bitty supercharger. You can really geek out about this motor setup online. It's fascinating.
                        Last edited by state of hockey; 12-01-2018, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I'd love a Miata. But it just ain't happening with a little one on the way and the both my wife and I having to work. Maybe someday I'll get a little roadster during the upcoming crisis.

Don't get the Fiata. I know it's tempting, but they go around the track at about the same time. Most will still drive these things around town, and the turbo lag in the Fiat is atrocious, or so I hear. The Fiata's suspension is great, though. I've watched a lot of video reviews where people put them head-to-head, and as I mentioned before the track times are almost identical. However, all of them felt like the Mazda HAD to be faster, before hearing their time. This is probably from a much more lively suspension that made them work a bit harder.

Another competent to this new skyactiv-x is that it does have an itty-bitty supercharger. You can really geek out about this motor setup online. It's fascinating.
                          There's a Fiata who hangs out at one of the local watering holes - love the styling, but decided to take a pass on the engine. The '19 Miata gets a reworked engine with a nice 25 HP bump up high.

It's pretty much between the '19 Miata and a Kia Stinger GT at this point. Thought about a Civic Type R, but saw the fake vents and just couldn't bring myself to accept it.

Would love an F-150 Raptor, but it wouldn't fit through my garage and a quick Google search shows me they're getting obscene markups in Denver.

Comment

There's a Fiata who hangs out at one of the local watering holes - love the styling, but decided to take a pass on the engine. The '19 Miata gets a reworked engine with a nice 25 HP bump up high.

It's pretty much between the '19 Miata and a Kia Stinger GT at this point. Thought about a Civic Type R, but saw the fake vents and just couldn't bring myself to accept it.

Would love an F-150 Raptor, but it wouldn't fit through my garage and a quick Google search shows me they're getting obscene markups in Denver.
                            The Raptor just isn't losing value. It's insane. A great investment as far as vehicles go.

Comment

Shelby GT500 to begin munching on crowds at Cars and Coffee in 2020 with ~700 HP.

Looks nice, but lack of a manual option is going to sting.

Comment

Hyundai Genesis, one of the cars I was looking at, gets another award.

And Twitch, unless you go high-end (which the GT500 is), and per some other feedback, isn't true manual basically dead? It's all the paddles now and such (even my "official" automatic, I can switch to paddles, if I want).

Comment

Working...
                                X