Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Porsche pretty much comes into work in the morning, sees the sun is out, and goes "Hey, the 'Ring is 20 minutes away, let's go troll the world."
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I know they are/were unsafe as heck, but taking a fast car on old Spa and/or old Monza would be a trip of a lifetime.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You let race teams do whatever they want and records will be broken

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          You let race teams do whatever they want and records will be broken

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I have no problem with an "unlimited" record. There's a reason there are different leaderboards. The open or unlimited class should be the king record though. It's about the fastest ever, bottom line. (Or top, I suppose, in this case.)
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I have no problem with an "unlimited" record. There's a reason there are different leaderboards. The open or unlimited class should be the king record though. It's about the fastest ever, bottom line. (Or top, I suppose, in this case.)
            The two problems with "unlimited" classes are safety and escalating costs. Eventually teams spend themselves into oblivion trying to keep up with each other. That's why the privateer classes at Le Mans have cost limits.

Look up Group B rallies some time. Those races were mayhem.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              The two problems with "unlimited" classes are safety and escalating costs. Eventually teams spend themselves into oblivion trying to keep up with each other. That's why the privateer classes at Le Mans have cost limits.

Look up Group B rallies some time. Those races were mayhem.
              I get that. Safety should take priority. We can't have a cruise missile going around the track (we're dam close already). I don't care about them spending money into oblivion. Adult choices and whatnot.

But at some point someone is going to die again at that track trying to break 5 minutes and eventually 4 minutes. I don't know enough to set a limit but that's kind of the risk in an unlimited category.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Is the ring a closed course? If not, does it get closed/reserved for days when speed tests take place?

If it's a closed course, the people going in know the stakes. On their own heads be it.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Is the ring a closed course? If not, does it get closed/reserved for days when speed tests take place?
                  It's a public toll road (one way traffic), but yes, it gets closed during race events.

No passing on the right. Other general rules of the road apply.

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing
                  Last edited by aparch; 06-29-2018, 11:38 AM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Did test drives today. Drove a Mazda 3 Touring, Subaru Impreza Sport, and Nissan Altima S, and then stopped because I couldn't deal with another car dealer. Didn't bother with Hyundai, Honda or Toyota, although they were on my list. The Nissan is at a "no haggle" dealership, but that's about the only thing it has over the other 2. Deciding between the Impreza and the Mazda. Mazda had more pickup, but no 4WD (but I've never had it, and I'm still alive). Impreza is about $4,000 more (Mazda has a $2,000 discount right now), and I don't see much different besides that.

Anyone have experience with either of these?
                    Last edited by jen; 07-16-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      My daughter has a 17 Imprezza Sport and loves it. She's had it for a little over 1-1/2 yrs and put almost 40000 miles on it and its been absolutely trouble free. There was a recall on the entertainment system that required a software upgrade but nothing else. And she loves it in the snow!
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                      Northeast Regional:
                      West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Did test drives today. Drove a Mazda 3 Touring, Subaru Impreza Sport, and Nissan Altima S, and then stopped because I couldn't deal with another car dealer. Didn't bother with Hyundai, Honda or Toyota, although they were on my list. The Nissan is at a "no haggle" dealership, but that's about the only thing it has over the other 2. Deciding between the Impreza and the Mazda. Mazda had more pickup, but no 4WD (but I've never had it, and I'm still alive). Impreza is about $4,000 more, and I don't see much different besides that.

My friend has a Mazda 3 Sport, which as I understand it is just a step down from the Mazda 3 Touring. He loves it. I've ridden in it quite a few times, and driven it just once, and found it to be a very decent car to ride around in short distances. It seemed to be fun to drive, although I only drove it for about twenty minutes. I probably wouldn't be keen on riding in it for long distances. My personal preference is for larger vehicles so it's not the model for me, but he has yet to say a bad word about his.

Our oldest daughter has Mazda 6 which seems to have more room in it than the 3. She seems to really like her car as well, and as far as I know it's been pretty reliable.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The Yoopers (Mich Techies) love their Subarus for obvious reasons, given their weather. IIRC, stateofhockey has/had a Mazda 6, which he loved.

Even at "no haggle" dealerships, they still have a little wiggle room, depending on your approach. I bought my vehicle at a no haggle, and they saw I had a chart/graph with different interest rates/monthly payments/down payment amounts and such, and still knocked off $500 of the cost. It was basically "Can you do anything on the price" vs "What can you do on the price." Subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless. It's all about your attitude/preparation.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            The Yoopers (Mich Techies) love their Subarus for obvious reasons, given their weather. IIRC, stateofhockey has/had a Mazda 6, which he loved.

Even at "no haggle" dealerships, they still have a little wiggle room, depending on your approach. I bought my vehicle at a no haggle, and they saw I had a chart/graph with different interest rates/monthly payments/down payment amounts and such, and still knocked off $500 of the cost. It was basically "Can you do anything on the price" vs "What can you do on the price." Subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless. It's all about your attitude/preparation.
                            They do? I don't think I know a single fellow alum that has a Subaru. And I wouldn't touch one of them with a 20 foot pole.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              They do? I don't think I know a single fellow alum that has a Subaru. And I wouldn't touch one of them with a 20 foot pole.
                              Fade and Twitch have talked highly about them in the past, along with a few randoms, IIRC.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                My mechanic son is very leery of the Subaru (and Nissan) transmissions.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X