X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars: 2015

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    We are in a golden age of speed.
    Production car wise, yeah I can see that. Racing wise? Heck no. Though for good reason.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Production car wise, yeah I can see that. Racing wise? Heck no. Though for good reason.
      True. You're not going to see Awesome Bill obliterating speed records at Talladega, or anything like Group B rally ever again.

The big gains are being made in tires and aero right now, and F1 has that covered.

ETA: Add adjustable suspension to the list.
      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 04-24-2018, 01:14 AM.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

As Mazda and Infiniti have proved, there's a lot of innovation left in the internal-combustion engine. One of the more wild concepts we've seen is called Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI), and it could just be the holy grail of internal combustion. Why? It uses gas and diesel to achieve incredible levels of efficiency.
        https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...sion-ignition/
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Whoa. That's kind of incredible.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Whoa. That's kind of incredible.
            And Mazda has also found a way to create a gasoline-based compression ignition system. It uses a spark for certain instances, but when cruising down the road without great strain on the engine, it's a compression ignition in a gasoline engine.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              And Mazda has also found a way to create a gasoline-based compression ignition system. It uses a spark for certain instances, but when cruising down the road without great strain on the engine, it's a compression ignition in a gasoline engine.
              The big problem with that engine isn't that engine. It's a new Toyota engine that has no interesting tech on it (port and direct injection, intake VCT, and EGR- nothing really new.), yet it is as efficient and clean as Mazda's HCCI. Oh, and it's more "Skyactive" than Mazda, too- since it's more about the whole powertrain.

It's making all the OEM's, including part of Toyota, look pretty stupid. Or it reminds everyone that there's still more in the base powertrain that they all think.

Comment

On Wednesday, Ford dropped a bombshell during its Q1 earnings call: it's going to stop selling almost all its cars in the US. The Mustang will remain on sale, as will the Focus Active, a model that won't debut until next year. But kiss goodbye to the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, and C-MAX. Instead, the company will focus almost exclusively on SUVs, crossovers, and trucks in the US domestic market.
                https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04...vs-and-trucks/

Comment

So looking at the list of Ford's assembly plants, they're essentially axing the imported models only. And the vehicles made at the Wayne assembly plants (which will likely be brought offline and retooled for the new crossover).

Fusion is from Germany/Mexico
                  Focus is Vietman, Thailand, Argentina
                  Fiesta is Mexico, Thailand, India
                  Taurus is Chicago but shares the plant with Explorer.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I can't help but think this is short-term planning with long-term pain. Gas prices will not stay this low forever. Eventually the SUV will die in America.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I can't help but think this is short-term planning with long-term pain. Gas prices will not stay this low forever. Eventually the SUV will die in America.
                      I think it's more likely that Ford is looking at those electric big rigs being designed, and using that as the basis for eschewing most small cars. Ford likely thinks they can get the range people want before fuel prices move from their relative pricing trough.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

This is from almost a year ago but GM is talking the same thing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/21/...ckle-sales-sl/

Comment

I think it's more likely that Ford is looking at those electric big rigs being designed, and using that as the basis for eschewing most small cars. Ford likely thinks they can get the range people want before fuel prices move from their relative pricing trough.
                          Never thought of that. Excellent point. I only worry about longevity of batteries, scarcity and cost of RMs, etc.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            True. You're not going to see Awesome Bill obliterating speed records at Talladega, or anything like Group B rally ever again.

The big gains are being made in tires and aero right now, and F1 has that covered.

ETA: Add adjustable suspension to the list.
                            Gran Turismo and Red Bull proved with the X2010 that there could be a car built that no one would be able to drive safely.

But yeah we’ll never see the insanity of racing in the late 70’s, early 80’s again.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Here's another issue with Ford's car sales:

Per Wikipedia (grain of salt where necessary):

2017 Fusion sales, while still over 200k, were down about 21% from 2016

Only ~32,000 Tauruses were sold in 2017, roughly half of what they sold 5 years ago.

2017 Focus sales are down a full 1/3 from their 2012 sales totals (from just over 246k in '12 to 158K last year).

Fiestas? Glad you asked. From over 64,000 sold in 2015 to 46,000 last year, a nearly 30% drop in just two years.
                              Last edited by Hammer; 04-26-2018, 05:16 PM.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Just a bit over the design specs.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/05/...r-400-mph.html
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X