Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    ...Huddleston or Scarano get an offer from a higher-profile school...
    More life time contracts, please?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part One) - Return of the "Champions of December"??

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      More life time contracts, please?
      Was laughing to myself as I typed that - knew it was coming!
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        This is about the reply I expected. Let me share a couple of thoughts, and then I will stand down.

You talk about the "program you most care about", and about me being comfortable with the status quo or backslide of UNH Hockey. What a joke. My rabid following of UNH Hockey goes back to my undergrad days, where I was arrested outside of Snively for being the last man standing in protest of the fact that the Admin at the time sold tickets to the general public, shutting students out for our QF playoff series. It continued as I became a member of Friends of UNH Hockey in the 2000 or 2001, my membership never wavering. I schedule 5000-mile trips home to coincide with UNH hockey games. I was beside myself when, after scheduling a trip around the Bentley game, a meeting in MSP was moved from 12/3 to 12/10, meaning I had to shift my flight. Much to my delight it means that the Maine game is now possible (sorry Snively65, I really did want to catch Bentley). A highlight of my year is the release of the Media Guide, which I immediately send to my 69-year-old mom so she can print it off and we can refer to it as I watch games on the WSN with crappy Brazilian wi-fi causing buffering issues every 5 minutes. I have traveled far and wide to see the team (at times alone), and had more than one argument in a far-flung U.S. bar as I have tried to get the manager to switch to NESN or some other random FoxSports network. I spent a small fortune to get a UNH jersey framed and hung in my office in DC (which was spotted by several FF fans as my office faces the street that the Verizon Center is on). I spend a good amount of time at the Whitt surrounded by hockey novices, explaining the basics to them to try to get them to get behind the team - so yes, I will be glad to have the JumboTron to see things I missed while explaining offsides for the 1000th time to a well-meaning but underinformed potential fan.

I say all this to say, do not paint me as some UNH generalist or football fanatic with a passing interest in hockey - I wouldn't even know where to FIND a UNH Football Forum. I don't consider you a "bandwagon" fan (though I find it curious that you complain about a lack of fan following and yet you've yet to attend a single game this year, and have only seen one or two on TV), and it's quite clear you know your UNH hockey. I was over-the-top in my praise for your background in the program, and in hockey in general. But what you clearly don't have a clue about is what has happened on campus under Huddleston and Scarano - and I can EVEN understand if you don't care. You didn't attend the University, and I don't think that matters, frankly - you appear to be a loyal UNH Hockey fan, and that's all that matters on this board. But you have consistently blasted Scarano ("my man", apparently, even though I've been clear about my lack of connection to him), much more broadly than just hockey, which shows you know very little about what he's done. I think there are very few people in Durham who are looking forward to the day that either Huddleston or Scarano get an offer from a higher-profile school - it's all but guaranteed to happen. So your snarky comment about "I Believe" - as a proud alumnus, heavily involved with one of the colleges, consistent donor for the betterment of academic and athletic programs, I think you know what I'd like you to do with your comment.

So whatever your personal beef is with Scarano, (and it's reached the point of manic with you - in just the last month you've taken a shot at his wife and managed to connect the Monarch's goalie's domestic violence case to Scarano), it's threadbare. I have huge respect for people like Greg and Watcher who have shared some very-well-connected insight and thoughtful questions about what has gone on within the hockey program, and how complicit Scarano has been in prolonging the inevitable. I even recognize that it's a bad situation, and wish Scarano had more control over outcomes than it seems he has (whether self-inflicted or by virtue of the power of a lifetime contract). But to say things like he doesn't have an interest in recapturing a fanbase is ludicrous. To say that he has willingly and neglectfully presided over the backslide of the program just shows that your disdain for Scarano goes farther than hockey. I have my theories.

One last point... you should be ashamed of the hypocrisy of your "megabucks buddy" comment. You whine about recruitment of donors, and then take potshots at them. By the way, this "buddy" of mine - actually a colleague in this context - has given of himself to UNH in non-financial ways that would make your head spin. Another example of how fired up alumni are to be a part of UNH's ascendancy, not football's ascendancy, which, by the way happened about 10 years ago. Come to campus sometime, Chuck!! And his comment came about as we were marveling at the FIELD HOCKEY "real turf" and the overall improvement of UNH facilities - had ZERO to do with the oblong ball.

Chuck, I truly respect your hockey background and passion for UNH Hockey in particular. I'll leave it at that. I'm done with this topic. On to RPI and Bentley.
        No question Marty has done a lot to advance UNH athletics especially with the lack of institutional funding. He is to be commended for the Northeast Regionals coming to Manchester.
        However to ignore an issue in his department's flagship program for the last 4-6 years is inexcusable. Taking little or no action 2-3 years ago is on him. My understanding the AD oversees all the athletic programs at UNH. I'm sure raising funds and managing those funds to keep all the programs afloat is difficult. It would also be very difficult to call out an issue, that would be very unpopular, especially in your flagship program, but That is Your Job, a big big part of your job. To call out the issue could /would have been extremely unpopular yes, but as unpopular as the declining of the profit center? As unpopular as UNH no longer being a "Hockey" school? If UNH brings an FCS championship to Durham does that make UNH a "Football" school? UNH is a "hockey school"!
        Wouldn't it be nice if the host of the Northeast regionals was actually participating in it?
        Six years ago was it conceivable to think that UNH wouldn't be skating in Manchester in March? How about 3 years ago? And now?
        Part of being the captain of the ship is to look out for upcoming reefs, even if you notice, after a bit, your legendary first mate is asleep at the helm.
        All the blame shouldn't be on you, it was your first mate that fell asleep. But did you let him continue to sleep or did you awake him? When you realized he wasn't going to awake, wouldn't it be wise to put someone else at the helm? The crew might threaten mutiny, but is it better to run ashore?
        Can the reef still be averted after 3 more years of sailing toward it?

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
          No question Marty has done a lot to advance UNH athletics especially with the lack of institutional funding. He is to be commended for the Northeast Regionals coming to Manchester.
          However to ignore an issue in his department's flagship program for the last 4-6 years is inexcusable. Taking little or no action 2-3 years ago is on him. My understanding the AD oversees all the athletic programs at UNH. I'm sure raising funds and managing those funds to keep all the programs afloat is difficult. It would also be very difficult to call out an issue, that would be very unpopular, especially in your flagship program, but That is Your Job, a big big part of your job. To call out the issue could /would have been extremely unpopular yes, but as unpopular as the declining of the profit center? As unpopular as UNH no longer being a "Hockey" school? If UNH brings an FCS championship to Durham does that make UNH a "Football" school? UNH is a "hockey school"!
          Wouldn't it be nice if the host of the Northeast regionals was actually participating in it?
          Six years ago was it conceivable to think that UNH wouldn't be skating in Manchester in March? How about 3 years ago? And now?
          Part of being the captain of the ship is to look out for upcoming reefs, even if you notice, after a bit, your legendary first mate is asleep at the helm.
          All the blame shouldn't be on you, it was your first mate that fell asleep. But did you let him continue to sleep or did you awake him? When you realized he wasn't going to awake, wouldn't it be wise to put someone else at the helm? The crew might threaten mutiny, but is it better to run ashore?
          Can the reef still be averted after 3 more years of sailing toward it?
          Hope you're not surprised that I agree with the majority of your points! I think it's "on him" to the extent that he actually has control, as I mentioned in my post. None of us know what went on on the inside (with the lifetime contract and negotiated "buyouts", etc.), though Greg has had some great insights. And then you pile on the 2013 NCAA appearance and the 2014 HEA Finals, and maybe you had JUST ENOUGH glimmers of hope to let it ride for a bit longer. It could be that the AD put the screws to DU in tough negotiations that ended with a 3-year buyout (doubtful, IMO), or it could be that DU saw the writing on the wall and negotiated a graceful exit. I suppose that lacking facts, we'll never know.

Most of all, I agree that I HOPE here is flexibility in this 3-year window. The sooner we get to the future, the better for all of us. Nothing would make my mom happier - she's been complaining about Umile for 3-4 years now!

Comment

'dc, I'm fine with your comments and criticisms on my posts and opinions - I can handle that. I feel badly that your latest response was so defensive. I don't question your dedication to your alma mater, or to the Men's Hockey program. I still do sense that maybe you are willing to tolerate the deterioration of Men's Hockey more than myself and some other posters. You obviously think I'm being harsh in some areas of my criticism, but something you said did get my attention ...

I DO question how you can mention both Huddleston and the AD in the same breath. Like you, I give a lot of credit to the former, and I would also be surprised (in a good way) if he is not plucked from his current position by another school. There is a lot going on all around campus - which BTW I'm there on at least a weekly basis, if not more often, as our youngest is still an undergrad - and our eldest (proud UNH Masters graduate only a few years ago) wishes some of the recent improvements and upgrades had taken place during her time on campus. Those changes have coincided with Huddleston's time at the school. Look at the AD's bio that you posted - how many of those facility *accomplishments* pre-dated Huddleston's arrival? Not many. So with all due respect, when you say you have "no dog in the fight" with your thoughts on the AD ... to use a term you attached to speculating about my lack of affection for the AD ... I have my theories. So now we're even.

I will only be defensive in response to questioning about my absence from games this season ... which is actually pretty much the same reason why my game attendance has been down over the last decade. Back then, I fully committed to doing something in the community where I could work with our kids and their friends in youth sports. One thing has led to another, and while my role has gradually changed as our kids have grown into adults, I'm still heavily engaged in the same organization, which has been an incredibly fulfilling experience and continues to be so. I'm not going to post self-serving links here, but it's not too hard to find details if you really want to.

I've never stopped following UNH Hockey, though, but given the choice between "doing" and "watching", I've opted (for now, anyway) to continue to "do" while I still can, and to "watch" when and how I can around those limitations.

If that reduces my credibility on these boards, then I'll just have to deal with that. If I get to the point where I can't contribute in a way that's fun AND meaningful to at least some small degree, I'll re-assess (as I have in the past) and go with that. I'll just sign off here and say I'm hoping the team overcomes its surprisingly slow start to the season and turns things around, making for a meaningful Spring for the first time in awhile, and ultimately becomes the first definitive step forward towards a return to past UNH Hockey glories.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              'dc, I'm fine with your comments and criticisms on my posts and opinions - I can handle that. I feel badly that your latest response was so defensive. I don't question your dedication to your alma mater, or to the Men's Hockey program. I still do sense that maybe you are willing to tolerate the deterioration of Men's Hockey more than myself and some other posters. You obviously think I'm being harsh in some areas of my criticism, but something you said did get my attention ...

I DO question how you can mention both Huddleston and the AD in the same breath. Like you, I give a lot of credit to the former, and I would also be surprised (in a good way) if he is not plucked from his current position by another school. There is a lot going on all around campus - which BTW I'm there on at least a weekly basis, if not more often, as our youngest is still an undergrad - and our eldest (proud UNH Masters graduate only a few years ago) wishes some of the recent improvements and upgrades had taken place during her time on campus. Those changes have coincided with Huddleston's time at the school. Look at the AD's bio that you posted - how many of those facility *accomplishments* pre-dated Huddleston's arrival? Not many. So with all due respect, when you say you have "no dog in the fight" with your thoughts on the AD ... to use a term you attached to speculating about my lack of affection for the AD ... I have my theories. So now we're even.

I will only be defensive in response to questioning about my absence from games this season ... which is actually pretty much the same reason why my game attendance has been down over the last decade. Back then, I fully committed to doing something in the community where I could work with our kids and their friends in youth sports. One thing has led to another, and while my role has gradually changed as our kids have grown into adults, I'm still heavily engaged in the same organization, which has been an incredibly fulfilling experience and continues to be so. I'm not going to post self-serving links here, but it's not too hard to find details if you really want to.

I've never stopped following UNH Hockey, though, but given the choice between "doing" and "watching", I've opted (for now, anyway) to continue to "do" while I still can, and to "watch" when and how I can around those limitations.

If that reduces my credibility on these boards, then I'll just have to deal with that. If I get to the point where I can't contribute in a way that's fun AND meaningful to at least some small degree, I'll re-assess (as I have in the past) and go with that. I'll just sign off here and say I'm hoping the team overcomes its surprisingly slow start to the season and turns things around, making for a meaningful Spring for the first time in awhile, and ultimately becomes the first definitive step forward towards a return to past UNH Hockey glories.
              Even Steven, brother! Now I need to get back to shining Mr. Scarano's shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                It could be that the AD put the screws to DU in tough negotiations that ended with a 3-year buyout (doubtful, IMO)
                I just can't see how this possibly happened - just take a look at the tenures of other UNH coaches. Most UNH head coaches pre-date Scarano and have been in Durham for quite some time. McCloskey certainly could have been fired for his team's performance, but he was only let go when Scarano and the administration felt he HAD to be fired. Many of the other coaching staffs have had their fair share of success, but also their fair share of struggles which might have gotten them released under other administrators (the bball coach finally posted a winning season in his 11th year??). None have approached Umile's resume of success, so despite the recent struggles it still appears to me this 3-year/Souza plan has to be entirely Coach's decision...

An athletic director's responsibilities really boil down to two essential duties - hiring great people and raising money. Regardless of Scarano's early tenure, it is certainly nice to see a big uptick in fundraising and facilities recently. I hope it continues. Reaching out and raising money for an underfunded department and university is a thankless job, but it needs to be done aggressively, consistently and resiliently. That's the job.

In terms of hiring and managing his coaches and staff, Scarano certainly seems to me to have an empowerment management style - putting coaches and staff into position and giving them plenty of space to do their jobs. I'm not sure that has always served him well. Outside of coaching staffs, I think there are plenty of reasons (hockey related and otherwise) to be disappointed with marketing, ticketing, athletic communications, development, etc. Meanwhile, some of his coaching hires seem solid (Soccer, WBB), while others seem very poor (WHKY, MBB)...

I don't think anyone would disagree that UNH, and Wildcat athletics, are underfunded. Here's where individual departments and programs can really separate themselves. When I hear people close to the UNH hockey program complaining about the support they're not getting, their lack of facilities and recruiting advantages or the funding they didn't receive I can only assume they're hearing it from one place. The difference in reactions between the hockey and football programs at UNH is startling. While the hockey program seems to lament its lot in life, complaining about funding, facilities, academics and all sorts of recruiting disadvantages, the football team embraces 'the dungeon' and maximizes every resource without a peep of complaint. I think 99% of the credit for anything happening with football should go to McDonnell who has consistently overcome HUGE disadvantages and deserves everything he is getting.

Could Scarano and the department do more? Absolutely! A lot more! But, again, my biggest frustrations lie with Umile and his staff, who have in the last few years seemingly resigned themselves to the fact that they cannot compete with BU or BC. Their facilities aren't as good, they don't have as much money, they don't have a jumbotron, admissions isn't flexible, top recruits don't pick UNH, woe is us...

I remember the story of McCloskey's recruitment of Colin Hemingway - how he thought he never had a chance, but still went after Hemingway with everything he had and stole him from North Dakota. Sean Collin's recruitment was a similar story, he was supposed to be a lock for BC/BU. I'm sure Umile demands attitude and effort from his teams. Maximizing limited resources and fighting above your weight-class in recruiting is all about the attitude and effort of those doing the selling. UNH needs recruiters who truly believe in UNH and their ability to get any prospect they want. Of course, they won't get every prospect they target, but that is the ONLY way you can get your fair share. They haven't had that recently...

On the topic of the senior line/captains - it doesn't really matter to me who the captains are and I don't think captaincies carry the weight they used to. Leadership can - and should be expected to - come from everyone on the roster in varying forms. I don't have any issues with McDonald or Smith getting regular shifts, but they shouldn't be playing against opposing scoring lines or on the top PK unit. That is ENTIRELY Umile's fault and it is not what is best for the team or those players. Its hard to criticize Umile in that regard, without sounding like you're criticizing the players themselves, but I am absolutely not criticizing any players and I don't think others mean to either. There is no question about the attitude and effort from the upperclassmen on this team, but they need to be put in the proper positions to be successful, for their individual benefit and that of the team! That is 100% on the coaching staff.

Plenty of blame to go around, but the buck stops with the hockey leadership IMO, no matter the discussion...
                Last edited by Dan; 11-24-2015, 11:23 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Could Scarano and the department do more? Absolutely! A lot more! But, again, my biggest frustrations lie with Umile and his staff, who have in the last few years seemingly resigned themselves to the fact that they cannot compete with BU or BC. Their facilities aren't as good, they don't have as much money, they don't have a jumbotron, admissions isn't flexible, top recruits don't pick UNH, woe is us...

I remember the story of McCloskey's recruitment of Colin Hemingway - how he thought he never had a chance, but still went after Hemingway with everything he had and stole him from North Dakota. Sean Collin's recruitment was a similar story, he was supposed to be a lock for BC/BU. I'm sure Umile demands attitude and effort from his teams. Maximizing limited resources and fighting above your weight-class in recruiting is all about the attitude and effort of those doing the selling. UNH needs recruiters who truly believe in UNH and their ability to get any prospect they want. Of course, they won't get every prospect they target, but that is the ONLY way you can get your fair share. They haven't had that recently...

On the topic of the senior line/captains - it doesn't really matter to me who the captains are and I don't think captaincies carry the weight they used to. Leadership can - and should be expected to - come from everyone on the roster in varying forms. I don't have any issues with McDonald or Smith getting regular shifts, but they shouldn't be playing against opposing scoring lines or on the top PK unit. That is ENTIRELY Umile's fault and it is not what is best for the team or those players. Its hard to criticize Umile in that regard, without sounding like you're criticizing the players themselves, but I am absolutely not criticizing any players and I don't think others mean to either. There is no question about the attitude and effort from the upperclassmen on this team, but they need to be put in the proper positions to be successful, for their individual benefit and that of the team! That is 100% on the coaching staff.

Plenty of blame to go around, but the buck stops with the hockey leadership IMO, no matter the discussion...
                  Thus captures the entire situation from my view.

I remember the Hemingway story about McCloskey hanging outside the Surrey locker room while the nodak coach monopolized his time. McCloskey went to hemingways house and hung out there instead. Go to any 1990 recruiting story and you see us after robb Gordon who energy ally chose Michigan, us battling for all the top kids.

The last decade has those close to the team explaining the hardships that you outline. Yet we see teams with worse situations becoming hot - Union Uconn, Maine under Walsh, etc. when you feel you can't compete, then you have already lost the chance to convince the kid.

What the Borek move has done is underscore just how little credibility Umile had with recruits. The lack of engagement and very little connection until the player is halfway through his freshman year. That is ok if your program sells itself like it did in the 90s.
                  Until there is a new excitement and belief that the program can succeed the program will languish. The longer Souza has to sell the program without the ability to actually change its course, the more he loses credibility and gets tarred by the malaise.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Want to say that I have really appreciated the info presented here by the various points of view about the UNH hockey program. Got quite the education. A lot to sift through to be sure. Off to RPI. Glad I don't have to drive and am hoping for a positive result. Haven't seen the 'Cats win since MC (4-2). Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving too if I don't 'see you' over the next two days. Goal is to stay OFF this board and do what I need to do to get ready. like that will happen
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Want to say that I have really appreciated the info presented here by the various points of view about the UNH hockey program. Got quite the education. A lot to sift through to be sure. Off to RPI. Glad I don't have to drive and am hoping for a positive result. Haven't seen the 'Cats win since MC (4-2). Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving too if I don't 'see you' over the next two days. Goal is to stay OFF this board and do what I need to do to get ready. like that will happen
                      Go get em, HR - fly the flag (or raise the pompon) with pride!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Our captain, along with the other 2, are indeed hard working players who deserve respect. They care about the welfare of this team and I know the other players hold them in high esteem. How do I know that? It's obvious if you attend games and see the team interact. I remember when he broke his leg and how devastating that injury was, and how hard he worked to come back from it. In fact it was so bad that he had serious complications that were life threatening. Can only imagine. No I really can't imagine. While coming back from this injury isn't the main reason WHY he should be captain let's not forget the TEAM voted for him so it's a no brainer assumption that he has the leadership capabilities THEY wanted.

Last Spring when Brett Pesce left I thought to myself who would be a good captain and he came to mind. And yes, I won't lie that I thought TyK would be given an A FWIW dept. I've met Collin MacD on several occasions and believe he is a fine, upstanding young man. I realized his limited playing time, knew his numbers . Yes, I do know these things, strange as it may seem! Felt he was best suited for the job out of the rest of them. Not that it matters much but as a former coach you better believe I felt Seniors should be / could be captains regardless of their performance IF they had leadership skills AND if I knew the team would be the better for it.

It's not a popularity contest...it's 'who is right for the job'. I've had plenty of prima donna athletes chosen as captains who had only their best interests in mind so I know this to be true. So really wasn't that surprised he was selected, but at the same time, I also knew, it would raise an eyebrow or two given his limited role in the past.
                        When you think about these present 'Cats, who DOESNT have a past limited role, other than TyK, Cleland, Maller? Their turn is next year....

This team is already facing adversity and I think they are in for some more as there are injuries to be worked through. The least we can do on a 'fan forum' is to speak positively / objectively to them. I sure wouldn't want my kid talked about the way they are here and I know this is a public forum where 'anything' goes. They aren't perfect, they may not score 3 goals a game but they represent us when they skate onto the ice each night. And yes, they are scholarshipped athletes who aren't above fan commentary for their performance. That's the life of an athlete esp. at this high level. That's not the point here. You are so right e.cat...they are indeed still student athletes and I appreciate the reminder. Go 'Cats!!
                        While I fully agree that the "captain" does not need to possess the highest skill set or be the best player on the ice. They need to be a leader, and from what I read on this board he has show that on and off the ice, especially coming back from his injury.

With that being said, the "2nd" line is painful to watch. Smith (-9), MacDonald(-9), and Gaudreault (-7) have a combined 10 points. The coaches have to realize that this is not working. I know Umile hasn't changed in 26 years but for the hell of it why not try something different. Smith and MacDonald are big, slow, and not skilled enough to try and skate through people. Their best chance of playing well would be to get the puck deep and work the dirty areas.

The ironic part of Friday's loss was the post game where TK is talking about the team not blowing leads and that the captains mentioned they are sick of it. Well 2/3 of the captains were responsible for that lead disappearing, with all three -2 for the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDjDKhG3_pY

I have flashbacks of watching Foley lead this team to the uninspired beating from Michigan at the regionals in Manchester.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Go get em, HR - fly the flag (or raise the pompon) with pride!!
                          Just got to Troy, and I've already seen 3 or 4 UNH jerseys around town. I can't wait for this game to start!

Comment

Looking forward to my first visit to the Houston Fieldhouse tonight. Go Cats.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
                              Just got to Troy, and I've already seen 3 or 4 UNH jerseys around town. I can't wait for this game to start!
                              Lucky! Enroute will prob be there at puck drop...in section 6 look us up!
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

RPI offers a free video stream of their home games.

http://www.rpitv.org/productions/101...-hockey-vs-unh

Comment

Working...
                                X