Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Have you ever used it? Most of my family lines came over during the great migration and I haven't tried to research them much in England. Is that the best resource for doing so?
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Have you ever used it? Most of my family lines came over during the great migration and I haven't tried to research them much in England. Is that the best resource for doing so?
      I came upon this via a FB ad. Haven't used it before. Much of what I need is transcribed not images on here but still saving a ton of stuff to sift thru later. Which great migration are you talking- Scots or Irish?

I am on Ancestry.com Have relatives in Scotland and that is somewhat helpful but to have full access to Scottish stuff- Scotlands People is better source but VERY costly. I 'met a few people on Ancestry who have access looked things up for me. If you are just starting I would recommend going to your local library and using Ancestry on there. The Library edition lets you look at a bunch of things that you can't look at on the free version at home. You can email the images or information to yourself and then save to a file.

Not as enamored with the new Ancestry. I use FamilyTreeMaker program on my laptop- the functionality is way better than the online thing. You can merge things you find, keep lists, write yourself notes on each person and it is waaaay easier to navigate than the online thing. Also not keen on all the personal info floating in the online cloud. Not too expensive and well worth it. I would get that, populate as much as you can on your tree then hit the other sites. Most of the sites will have trial periods but I would use those only after you exhaust the library versions because they cover a lot and are free.

I have the international version of Ancestry. If you ever need me to look up someone let me know.

Comment

I came upon this via a FB ad. Haven't used it before. Much of what I need is transcribed not images on here but still saving a ton of stuff to sift thru later. Which great migration are you talking- Scots or Irish?

I am on Ancestry.com Have relatives in Scotland and that is somewhat helpful but to have full access to Scottish stuff- Scotlands People is better source but VERY costly. I 'met a few people on Ancestry who have access looked things up for me. If you are just starting I would recommend going to your local library and using Ancestry on there. The Library edition lets you look at a bunch of things that you can't look at on the free version at home. You can email the images or information to yourself and then save to a file.

Not as enamored with the new Ancestry. I use FamilyTreeMaker program on my laptop- the functionality is way better than the online thing. You can merge things you find, keep lists, write yourself notes on each person and it is waaaay easier to navigate than the online thing. Also not keen on all the personal info floating in the online cloud. Not too expensive and well worth it. I would get that, populate as much as you can on your tree then hit the other sites. Most of the sites will have trial periods but I would use those only after you exhaust the library versions because they cover a lot and are free.

I have the international version of Ancestry. If you ever need me to look up someone let me know.
        I was talking about great migration from England between 1620 and 1640. I signed up for the premium version of ancestry when I first started but felt like it was kind of a waste of money after a month. I'm using the cheapest version now but at some point might get the premium version again, especially for the military stuff. I had at least a couple dozen relatives fight in the revolutionary war and would like to save all their records.

I appreciate the offer of getting records from other countries but think I am all set for now. I am mostly focusing on ancestors in America right now. The tricky thing for me has been finding relatives born between like 1775 and 1800. I have been fine for a lot of lines but others they sort of drop off around that time, especially women. At some point I need to get a lot more organized with what I am doing. A lot of times I go on and skip around with my research instead of just focusing on one or two things.

Comment

I was talking about great migration from England between 1620 and 1640. I signed up for the premium version of ancestry when I first started but felt like it was kind of a waste of money after a month. I'm using the cheapest version now but at some point might get the premium version again, especially for the military stuff. I had at least a couple dozen relatives fight in the revolutionary war and would like to save all their records.

I appreciate the offer of getting records from other countries but think I am all set for now. I am mostly focusing on ancestors in America right now. The tricky thing for me has been finding relatives born between like 1775 and 1800. I have been fine for a lot of lines but others they sort of drop off around that time, especially women. At some point I need to get a lot more organized with what I am doing. A lot of times I go on and skip around with my research instead of just focusing on one or two things.
          Me too. Thank goodness we don't get graded and it is for fun. The Library version of Ancestry gives access to a lot of the military stuff. I know my library has a couple of different genealogy programs that you can use in house only.

New England Genealogy Society has some great resources depending where your folks are from. If you haven't posted on the message boards of Ancestry try it. It can take awhile to get responses but as I posted in here before I found my Swedish second cousins after posting something on there. Actually, he found me. Also have messaged people who have private trees and formed some great connections.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Me too. Thank goodness we don't get graded and it is for fun. The Library version of Ancestry gives access to a lot of the military stuff. I know my library has a couple of different genealogy programs that you can use in house only.

New England Genealogy Society has some great resources depending where your folks are from. If you haven't posted on the message boards of Ancestry try it. It can take awhile to get responses but as I posted in here before I found my Swedish second cousins after posting something on there. Actually, he found me. Also have messaged people who have private trees and formed some great connections.
            I signed up for NEGS and agree it is an excellent resource. I'll get more out of it when I am more focused. They also have some very interesting programs. I've actually found some very useful information on the ancestry.com boards and some of it is from the very early days of the internet. I've never posted myself but maybe I will give it a shot.

Comment

I signed up for NEGS and agree it is an excellent resource. I'll get more out of it when I am more focused. They also have some very interesting programs. I've actually found some very useful information on the ancestry.com boards and some of it is from the very early days of the internet. I've never posted myself but maybe I will give it a shot.
              If you aren't running it I suggest FamilyTree Maker- great program- lets you keep a running list of what you are missing, things you think you want to track down later, etc. You can do stuff offline.

Comment

This is great!!!!

http://www.ancestry.com/cs/declarati...=Digital+Video
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Thanks! I think I just found a sib of my G-G-G Grandfather whose Birth is still a mystery!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Thanks! I think I just found a sib of my G-G-G Grandfather whose Birth is still a mystery!
                    I'm a very close relation to a declaration signer but don't think I'm a direct descendant of any. There was only one signer from Maine and he didn't have any kids.

Comment

I'm a very close relation to a declaration signer but don't think I'm a direct descendant of any. There was only one signer from Maine and he didn't have any kids.
                      Supposedly my family came on the 'second Mayflower' I can get fairly far back then hit a wall on that branch. My laptop (with all the files and installed program) is in the laptop hospital so I am not certain but I think I found the sister of the guy ho is the dead end. Thru that a website that may have more info. Need to wait to email them until I have all the particulars.

Comment

Supposedly my family came on the 'second Mayflower' I can get fairly far back then hit a wall on that branch. My laptop (with all the files and installed program) is in the laptop hospital so I am not certain but I think I found the sister of the guy ho is the dead end. Thru that a website that may have more info. Need to wait to email them until I have all the particulars.
                        Do you mean the Victory that came over in the fall of 1621? I had a few ancestors on that but a lot more on the Mayflower. I've been lucky in that most lines I've been able to trace back that far.

Comment

https://www.americanancestors.org/freebillion
                          NEGHS has free search too until 7/6

Comment

My father would often claim that my family went back to one of Martha Dandridge's sisters. Martha Dandridge got married and became Martha Washington. I'd have to research it for myself to believe it, but I don't really care to as I find the story to be highly doubtful. My father liked to make lofty claims of our lineage.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              One of the (few, to be honest) annoyances of not having any ancestor who set foot on this continent prior to 1870 is not being able to use those cool tools.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                One of the (few, to be honest) annoyances of not having any ancestor who set foot on this continent prior to 1870 is not being able to use those cool tools.
                                3/4 of my grandparents are in the same boat (no pun intended). Father's father side seems to be here for a long time.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X