Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So the website is like your EMR system?
    AH, maybe that is why I hate it so much

dx- go on some forums. I connected with a long lost Swedish cousin from posting on a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      AH, maybe that is why I hate it so much

dx- go on some forums. I connected with a long lost Swedish cousin from posting on a forum.
      I will do that!
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I will do that!
        It also helps if you post to confirm something someone else has a question about. That links you to other people who are searching.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Anyone that uses other trees on ancestry as canon is asking for trouble. I use it for hints on where to start, but mostly they're wrong. I have found new ancestors this way though.

Everything is accurate on there save for transcription errors.
          This is what I do. When I'm stuck I look at other trees for info, and try to search for actual documents, etc. It has worked a few times. I don't add anything to my tree until I am sure it is correct.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, I'm waiting for hint on Grandpa saying he died based on SS benefits. He had a stroke last year, lived, but shortly after his wife starting getting correspondence from the SS Administration about his supposed death. He was on the phone for hours with idiots in the government trying to convince them he was still alive.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              This is what I do. When I'm stuck I look at other trees for info, and try to search for actual documents, etc. It has worked a few times. I don't add anything to my tree until I am sure it is correct.
              I maintain two family trees. One that I have done the research and verified the information. Another that has potential matches but aren't verified. It's been fairly helpful that way.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Made a huge find on Ancestry last night. Finally got a foothold for one branch of the family in Norway. First time I've found anything in Norway, since their records aren't nearly as good or just not as accessible as Sweden's. I have every branch of the Swedish sides of the family tracked back to the villages they came from in Sweden, but still missing a ton in Norway.

Also found that my Great Grandma's aunt was institutionalized in the Anoka Asylum (Anoka State Hospital), which I had coincidentally read about a few months ago. Was a pretty terrible place, so now I want to try to track down more info on why she was there.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Made a huge find on Ancestry last night. Finally got a foothold for one branch of the family in Norway. First time I've found anything in Norway, since their records aren't nearly as good or just not as accessible as Sweden's. I have every branch of the Swedish sides of the family tracked back to the villages they came from in Sweden, but still missing a ton in Norway.

Also found that my Great Grandma's aunt was institutionalized in the Anoka Asylum (Anoka State Hospital), which I had coincidentally read about a few months ago. Was a pretty terrible place, so now I want to try to track down more info on why she was there.
                  Cool!

Comment

Could be anything. Annie Sullivan (of Helen Keller fame) and her brother were institutionalized in the "Poor House in Tewksbury, MA" because they were sickly orphans.
                    Last edited by joecct; 01-24-2017, 10:23 AM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Is anyone descended from General Joseph Warren of Bunker Hill fame, and know something about his offspring or grand-offspring?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Could be anything. Annie Sullivan (of Helen Keller fame) and her brother were institutionalized in the "Poor House in Tewksbury, MA" because they were sickly orphans.
                        It happened late in her life, when she was in her 60's. She still had a husband and several kids at home and she was involuntarily institutionalized. With a family there that had been supporting her for many years, I am thinking something happened that got her in the asylum. It doesn't seem like an old, Norwegian speaking family would have one of their own institutionalized like that, I would think they would be more insular.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It happened late in her life, when she was in her 60's. She still had a husband and several kids at home and she was involuntarily institutionalized. With a family there that had been supporting her for many years, I am thinking something happened that got her in the asylum. It doesn't seem like an old, Norwegian speaking family would have one of their own institutionalized like that, I would think they would be more insular.
                          Google Tewksbury Almshouse. It was ugly at the end of the 19th century.

Later it was the place of last resort for the elderly and insane.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Google Tewksbury. It was ugly at the end of the 19th century.

Later it was the place of last resort for the elderly and insane.
                            Fixed your post.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We could be cousins!?!
                              Code:

Comment

Has anyone done NatGeo's DNA test? I sent mine out two weeks ago, and I'm curious as to how they deliver your results. I still have about 6-8 more weeks to go, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X