Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

My family had always been told that my great grandfather came from Germany. But I did the Ancestry.com thing, and they reported 72% Norwegian but no German. Are these tests infallible?

Quote Originally Posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    My family had always been told that my great grandfather came from Germany. But I did the Ancestry.com thing, and they reported 72% Norwegian but no German. Are these tests infallible?
    Norwegians are pretty much infallible--that's gotta mean something.

What was his surname?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

They are not infallible although the companies that do so would like you to think so. It is conceivable that although he came from Germany, he was not German/.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    They are not infallible although the companies that do so would like you to think so. It is conceivable that although he came from Germany, he was not German/.
    I think there is a better chance that he was someone with Norwegian ancestry, living in Germany, than the test being wrong.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

agree.

I have taken autosomal DNA tests with both FTDNA and Ancestry. Both state that I am 100% European (Ashkenazi) Jewish. I have at least one 4th-great-grandparent who was Sephardic which means that I am at most 98.5% Ashkenazi, perhaps less.

BTW, it continues to amaze me how inbred Ashkenazi Jews are. I get matches almost every day with people who aren't likely to be related to me more recently than the Middle Ages.

He fixes the cable?
    I have taken autosomal DNA tests with both FTDNA and Ancestry. Both state that I am 100% European (Ashkenazi) Jewish. I have at least one 4th-great-grandparent who was Sephardic which means that I am at most 98.5% Ashkenazi, perhaps less.

BTW, it continues to amaze me how inbred Ashkenazi Jews are. I get matches almost every day with people who aren't likely to be related to me more recently than the Middle Ages.
    That's the reason the wife was screened to see if she was a carrier for certain conditions. The jews in her family came out of Lithuania.

I have a few friends who took both tests and they don't agree. One of them got an update recinding the original results and giving more 'specific' results.

As a medical person I would be very leery to have a non-medical genetic test as a screen. The medical screens are very specific and usually targeted after meeting with someone who is trained to figure out what is best. I wouldn't even begin to think I had the expertise to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have a few friends who took both tests and they don't agree. One of them got an update recinding the original results and giving more 'specific' results.

As a medical person I would be very leery to have a non-medical genetic test as a screen. The medical screens are very specific and usually targeted after meeting with someone who is trained to figure out what is best. I wouldn't even begin to think I had the expertise to figure that out.
    I think that most people take these tests in order to find out where their ancestors came from. The second greatest reason is for genealogical purposes. There is overlap between the groups. I think that medical reasons is a distant third, and it may even be fourth if there are more adopted, artificial insemination, or out-of-wedlock people who take these tests in the hope of finding their birth families. (I have gotten several messages from the latter group.)

The different reasons for taking the test is probably why a great many people don't reply when you wrote to them. Originally, I thought that people only took these tests for genealogical purposes which made me wonder why so many did not reply.

I think that most people take these tests in order to find out where their ancestors came from. The second greatest reason is for genealogical purposes. There is overlap between the groups. I think that medical reasons is a distant third, and it may even be fourth if there are more adopted, artificial insemination, or out-of-wedlock people who take these tests in the hope of finding their birth families. (I have gotten several messages from the latter group.)

The different reasons for taking the test is probably why a great many people don't reply when you wrote to them. Originally, I thought that people only took these tests for genealogical purposes which made me wonder why so many did not reply.
    For some reason the last few weeks a bunch of people have been talking about this around me. Most of them did it not for genealogical reasons. It surprised me

Lucia Apologist

If I learned anything from House, itís that Ashkenazi have a much higher risk of neuro disorders like CIPA.

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    What was his surname?
    Zink

Zink
    Hmmm, definitely not a Norwegian sounding name. Very interesting. I tend to believe the DNA results, but there is definitely some kind of story there. If his family came to Germany several generations before him, the odds of the family continuing marrying Norwegians, and not getting German blood at some point is very small, IMO. So, that leads me to believe that him or his father/mother were the generation to move from Norway to Germany. There was famine in Scandinavia in the mid-1800's, which is what drove so many Swedes and Norwegians to come to the US during that era, I suppose it is equally likely that a decent population of them went to mainland Europe too. I also suppose it is likely that a culture like the Germans is much easier to integrate with, if you have a German sounding name, thus the name change. That would be my theory, but it would really interesting to do some more digging, to find when his family got to Germany.

RIP - Kirby

For unofan

@CTVNews: Privacy concerns after 23andMe shares genetic data with major drugmaker http://ctv.news/AoeJMMe

Thread Information