Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Thank you for the info. I have done all of the above except I have not tried the Norwegian archive. Never knew it existed.
    https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

As all four of my grandparents are of different origins (Norway, Germany, Russia and Denmark) it's a large work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    As all four of my grandparents are of different origins (Norway, Germany, Russia and Denmark) it's a large work in progress.
    Same here (Norway, Italy, Czechia, Slovakia) unless we're just counting the country it was at the time in which case they came from three countries all of which don't exist anymore (United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Austrian Empire x2).
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    In Norway they were. It was a different family farming the land in Sweden, since in that family, there aren't any living relatives left in that area.
    I think being stewards of that land for so many years is pretty cool.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

My Swedish guy uses Heritage instead of Ancestry. Not sure if that is maybe more popular there. My GGF changed his name when he moved here and his relatives did too. What a mess. I let the Swede do all the work and just tag a long.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I think being stewards of that land for so many years is pretty cool.
    Me too. Not something you see over here that much. My Scots were on the same land from 1400s to 1934

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I have an extra disc for FTM Mac based (if you are an apple person) if you want it. They sent it by accident. It is a version or maybe two back but it will go and and if you like it you can upgrade.
    I appreciate the offer and do have a mac but unfortunately my new one doesn't have a CD drive. At some point I will buy the new version and get my act together.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I appreciate the offer and do have a mac but unfortunately my new one doesn't have a CD drive. At some point I will buy the new version and get my act together.
    Bah. Borrow an external drive.

Up for anyone who wants it.

My Swedish guy uses Heritage instead of Ancestry. Not sure if that is maybe more popular there. My GGF changed his name when he moved here and his relatives did too. What a mess. I let the Swede do all the work and just tag a long.
    Half German/half Norwegian. My grandfather once said 'feel free to marry blacks, Hispanics, Asians, whoever you want...just do NOT marry a Swede'.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Half German/half Norwegian. My grandfather once said 'feel free to marry blacks, Hispanics, Asians, whoever you want...just do NOT marry a Swede'.
    Ha. We lived in a melting pot. I was told do not marry a Catholic- I did anyway

I have found plenty of name changing, but it hasn't slowed me too much in Sweden. The records are so good in Sweden that I can usually find the right people even with the name change.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

I was told do not marry a Catholic
    Seriously?

This, to me, is on par with saying "I treat my gout with leeches." It's time travel.

Is this stuff really alive out there someplace? I know the hemlines change in different places at different rates -- the phobes haven't even made it to 1975 in the civilized world yet -- but "don't marry a Catholic" seems out of place to me for any spot in the US after, say, the Garfield assassination.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

wubba lubba dub dub

Seriously?

This, to me, is on par with saying "I treat my gout with leeches." It's time travel.

Is this stuff really alive out there someplace? I know the hemlines change in different places at different rates -- the phobes haven't even made it to 1975 in the civilized world yet -- but "don't marry a Catholic" seems out of place to me for any spot in the US after, say, the Garfield assassination.
    To be fair, les just within the last year.

ETA: Though, I guess I should also mention that when my mom met my prom date I was told that she's nice, but I couldn't ever marry her. She was Korean, and a blended family like that wouldn't fit into anywhere in society. My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.
    Last edited by St. Clown; 12-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Seriously?

Have you been to a full Catholic wedding? I wouldn't want to sit through that either.

RIP - Kirby

wubba lubba dub dub

Have you been to a full Catholic wedding? I wouldn't want to sit through that either.
    About 60 minutes, roughly the same length as a standard Catholic Mass.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    About 60 minutes, roughly the same length as a standard Catholic Mass.
    I wouldn't want to go to a Catholic Mass either. Yuck.

RIP - Kirby

wubba lubba dub dub

I wouldn't want to go to a Catholic Mass either. Yuck.
    It depends upon the priest. I sat through too many over the past five months, hopping between a few locations. The good priests get things rolling and can keep you engaged with their homily. The bad ones make it feel like a two-hour Mass.

It depends upon the priest. I sat through too many over the past five months, hopping between a few locations. The good priests get things rolling and can keep you engaged with their homily. The bad ones make it feel like a two-hour Mass.
    Did it for 18 years, and agree with this.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

To be fair, les just within the last year.

ETA: Though, I guess I should also mention that when my mom met my prom date I was told that she's nice, but I couldn't ever marry her. She was Korean, and a blended family like that wouldn't fit into anywhere in society. My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.

Western PA is the Pitts (burgh).

My parents were both born during the Great Depression in western PA. Ask mookie about western PA.
    No need. My Mom was born before the Great Depression in western PA and grew up there. I have relatives who still drop the n bomb in casual conversation, not for effect but just cuz that's how they talk. They say "kike," too.

They seem nice.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information