Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Geneology Thread: Where did we come from?

Kep, I think you need to remember we're talking about your favorite place in the whole wide world, Eastern Mass. (the South being your second favorite, of course ). When it comes to arch-conservative Catholics, that region has it made (unless they are rich/powerful/named Kennedy, in which case "whatevah").

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Oh, so this was the Catholics telling you not to marry into a Catholic family? I have never heard of that. I have only heard of people begging their relatives not to marry outside their particular flavor cult. But never "we don't want you!" That's even weirder. In all honesty it doesn't sound Catholic at all, either. The Church really gets off on assimilating non-Catholics. It's kinda the Jesus Borg.
      No, it was being told they would exclude me if I didn't convert (my family) and the Priest telling me I was going to hell because I wouldn't (he later had a brain tumor so I always wondered if it was God's revenge or that what was causing him to be so wanky. I had been considering converting but he cured me of that but quick. I was pretty sure the Pope wasn't on his knees praying for heretics like me all day and that God could figure out I was His child without being dipped in only a Catholic font of water.

My dad's side was Lutheran- helped build the church they now worship in (as in physically build, my gf made the cross behind the altar). Mum's side was Baptist- as in walk in font when she was 14 or so. The thought of me being a Catholic sent my whole family into spasms. Both my Dad and Mum were raised by very churchy parents. High involvement. Both never lost the teen rebellion regarding religion. They went Unitarian- horrifying both families and then stopped going all together. mr les family was also very involved altho- my FIL still is. mr les got ****ed at GGod when his mum died really young. He comes to the heretic church every week and we go to the Catholic Xmas eve service with his dad so he can get a real cookie.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        No, it was being told they would exclude me if I didn't convert (my family) and the Priest telling me I was going to hell because I wouldn't
        OK, I'm tracking now.

Yeah, that kind of idiocy was still prevalent among the clergy when I was growing up. What do you call the guy who graduates last in seminar? "Father." The profession doesn't exactly draw the caliber of people who go into say the arts or engineering. Nice folks for the most part, but not the warmest coals in the thurible.

Bring back Latin. Straight is the gate and narrow is the way.
        Last edited by Kepler; 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Kep, I think you need to remember we're talking about your favorite place in the whole wide world, Eastern Mass. (the South being your second favorite, of course ). When it comes to arch-conservative Catholics, that region has it made (unless they are rich/powerful/named Kennedy, in which case "whatevah").
          Convenient how an annulment is so easy for some.......
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            OK, I'm tracking now.

Yeah, that kind of idiocy was still prevalent among the clergy when I was growing up. What do you call the guy who graduates last in seminar? "Father." The profession doesn't exactly draw the caliber of people who go into say the arts or engineering. Nice folks for the most part, but not the warmest coals in the thurible.

Bring back Latin. Straight is the gate and narrow is the way.
            There are some brilliant intellects, some career climbers, some weathervane principled, some creeps, some dim bulbs, and some plodders among the Catholic religious. In short, typical humanity.

I would love to see a return to the 1965 Liturgy with the Leonine Prayers restored. But at least I have a choice between the 1962 (Latin),1969 (vernacular) and the Anglican Ordnariate (very high Church - in English but with the smells and the bells).
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              There are some brilliant intellects,
              Not a lot of brilliant intellects since 1300, unfortunately. There was a time when the greatest minds in the West went in for theology, but when law, philosophy, science, and medicine came on the scene the Church hemorrhaged its talent and turned away all but the Mediocre of both mind and spirit.

What the Church has really had the last 750 years is a vast bureaucracy. There have been organizational geniuses, yes, like the supply chain managers at a big corporation. But the geniuses of creative thought have long since all gone elsewhere. This is one reason why the Church still looks, feels, and thinks like a Medieval fossil. It is ossified.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I would love to see a return to the 1965 Liturgy with the Leonine Prayers restored. But at least I have a choice between the 1962 (Latin),1969 (vernacular) and the Anglican Ordnariate (very high Church - in English but with the smells and the bells).
              Too much of a novelty fad for me. Sarum Rite or bust.

This is how you run a railroad.
              Last edited by Kepler; 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Not a lot of brilliant intellects since 1300, unfortunately. There was a time when the greatest minds in the West went in for theology, but when law, philosophy, science, and medicine came on the scene the Church hemorrhaged its talent and turned away all but the Mediocre of both mind and spirit.

What the Church has really had the last 750 years is a vast bureaucracy. There have been organizational geniuses, yes, like the supply chain managers at a big corporation. But the geniuses of creative thought have long since all gone elsewhere. This is one reason why the Church still looks, feels, and thinks like a Medieval fossil. It is ossified.

Too much of a novelty fad for me. Sarum Rite or bust.

This is how you run a railroad.
                You can still celebrate a Mass under the Sarum Rite. If it was approved at the time of the Council of Trent, it is still good to go.

We have a looonnngggg series of precedents...
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

resurrecting post. Free researching now thru next Tuesday- https://www.americanancestors.org/july

Comment

I had a genealogical paper accepted for publication.

BTW, why don't editors like Oxford commas?
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

linky? or where??

Comment

linky? or where??
                        On my computer. It hasn't been published yet and will only appear in the print journal Avotaynu. If you actually are interested, I can email it to you.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 07-21-2018, 12:56 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

On my computer. It hasn't been published yet and will only appear in the print journal Avotaynu. If you actually are interested, I can email it to you.
                          that would be cool!

Comment

that would be cool!
                            Is leswp1 partly a Yekke (German Jewish) which she has not mentioned?
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Is leswp1 partly a Yekke (German Jewish) which she has not mentioned?
                              Not that she knows of!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Editors are communists.

Comment

Working...
                                X