Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015-2016 USCHO Posters Poll

HOCKEY... #SOON

With college football kicking off this weekend, the itch for hockey has really gotten bad. So I figured we could fire up the ol' USCHO machine and kick off this year's poster's poll.

I did a little research to see which teams were losing the most scoring. The attached graph is a result. From left to right on the bottom are the teams who have lost the highest percentage of their 2014-2015 goals to graduation, from most lost to least lost. It includes the top 20 teams in the season-ending RPI, plus RIT (included them as the only remaining conference champion).

The results were interesting -- the top 5 on the list lost a staggering 45% of their scoring or more, with RIT, Duluth, and Cornell losing more than half.

CLICK FOR GRAPH (You might need to reload the page after it opens, sometimes the image doesn't show right away) ***UPDATED***

The blue bar represents the returning goals per game of the roster, the green bar represents the goals per game lost to graduation (with the combined bar representing total 2014-2015 scoring) and the orange line represents the percent of scoring lost (axis on the right side).

Using this, I'll have my preliminary poster's poll in the next post.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: 2015-2016 USCHO Posters Poll

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    HOCKEY... #SOON

With college football kicking off this weekend, the itch for hockey has really gotten bad. So I figured we could fire up the ol' USCHO machine and kick off this year's poster's poll.

I did a little research to see which teams were losing the most scoring. The attached graph is a result. From left to right on the bottom are the teams who have lost the highest percentage of their 2014-2015 goals to graduation, from most lost to least lost. It includes the top 20 teams in the season-ending RPI, plus RIT (included them as the only remaining conference champion).

The results were interesting -- the top 5 on the list lost a staggering 45% of their scoring or more, with RIT, Duluth, and Cornell losing more than half.

CLICK FOR GRAPH (You might need to reload the page after it opens, sometimes the image doesn't show right away)

The blue bar represents the returning goals per game of the roster, the green bar represents the goals per game lost to graduation (with the combined bar representing total 2014-2015 scoring) and the orange line represents the percent of scoring lost (axis on the right side).

Using this, I'll have my preliminary poster's poll in the next post.
    Nice Table.
    Not sure where you got your ECAC Stats. Here is what I calculated

Team Games G/Gm Rtn G/Gm Lost
    Cornell 33 1.58 1.70
    Harvard 36 2.47 1.17
    Brown 29 0.93 1.07
    Yale 31 2.19 0.81
    St Law 36 2.17 0.75
    Dart 30 2.03 0.67
    Colgate 34 0.94 0.65
    Quinni 38 1.92 0.63
    RPI 34 1.29 0.56
    Union 34 0.79 0.44
    Clark 38 2.55 0.32
    Prin 31 2.13 0.26

In your Graph should have left to right Cornell, Harvard, Yale, SLU, Dartmouth, Quinnipiac, Clarkson and Princeton.
    Last edited by vicb; 09-07-2015, 06:43 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

My SWAG:

1) Minnesota
      2) Wisconsin
      3) BC

4) North Dakota
      5) Clarkson
      6) Harvard
      7) Quinnipiac

8) BU
      9) Ohio State
      10) Bemidji

1-3 are locks in some order
      4-7 shuffle the deck and these 4 could come in any order
      8-10 are SWAGS
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

1) Minnesota -- It's going to take at least two losses and an undefeated BC for me to drop the Gophers from this spot. They are really scary this year.

2) Boston College -- BC 2: Electric Boogaloo. Same song and dance as last year, but with gluten-free cupcakes. The two teams that were supposed to be the strongest non-Harvard parts of the schedule this season (2xCornell and 2xUMD) are going to be atrocious. Both lost over half their scoring to graduation. BC will waltz through the regular season with at most two losses (I'm pencilling in BC vs. BU during Four Nations as a L) but it won't mean much. We are 2010 Mercyhurst. We might as well join the CHA.

No one will touch these two teams this year. The order might change, but you can sharpie them both in as #1 and #2 overall seeds for the NCAA tournament.

3) Clarkson -- They weren't that far off last year (and mostly they were wildly inconsistent). This year they lose almost nothing to graduation. They're in the big mess of teams but I think they're at the top of it.

4) Harvard -- I was originally more bearish on Harvard because they lose a ton of players, but they weren't very top-heavy last year so they aren't TOO decimated. No doubt about it, they lose a lot, but I am fairly sure they'll be a top 5 team. The problem is, after the top 2, it is extremely murky all the way down to like 8th.

5) Wisconsin -- Badgers fans are acting like the sky is falling. They lose a ton of scoring but they were too highly ranked last year to fall out of contention for home ice entirely.

6) Bemidji State -- THE MIGHTY MIDGE. Another team that doesn't lose very much that looked pretty darn good last year. They will make the tournament.

7) Northeastern -- I am 100% sure that NU will be a top 10 team this year. They lost three (3) goals to graduation. Three. And lost in all this is the return of Paige Savage. They lose Chloe Desjardins, but Sarah Foss impressed the hell out of me last year in relief. I'm telling you right now: I think NU finally makes the tournament this year.

8) Boston University -- NU and BU are going to battle for 2nd in Hockey East this year and it's going to be really close. Poulin graduates after her 9th year of eligibility, which drops BU a bit (they don't lose much else) and NU takes a step ahead. The end result is they are both on the bubble.

9) North Dakota -- They'll pretty much hold steady just outside the tournament bubble. Sorry NoDak fans. That's pretty much your life now, isn't it...

10) Penn State -- BOLD PICK! They were very quietly just outside the TUC line last year and graduated zero (0) players. Definitely a TUC this year. They will battle Mercyhurst for the CHA this year. Putting Penn State in 10th because I don't think anyone else will and they need to be acknowledged as Also Receiving Votes on the first poll. But I think they and Mercyhurst are in a virtual tie for 10th.

Honorable Mention: Mercyhurst -- They'll be back to relevance this year but I don't think it'll be enough to make the tournament. BC and UM are in a class of their own but behind them are a whole lot of decent-to-good teams.

Honorable Mention Without Pithy Comment: Princeton

Teams That Are Usually At Least Decent But Who Will Be Horrible This Year: UMD, Cornell, Vermont.
        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-07-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
          Nice Table.
          Not sure where you got your ECAC Stats. Here is what I calculated

Team Games G/Gm Rtn G/Gm Lost
          St Law 36 2.17 0.75
          Quinni 38 1.92 0.63
          These are the only two I have different... Not sure where the difference is; I pulled up seniors only and subtracted. Just double checked, they seem right to me. Where did you get yours? I got mine here.

For SLU I have Kayla Raniwsky F, Amanda Boulier D, Jacqueline Wand F, Jessica Hon F, Ellie Williams F, and Carmen MacDonald G graduating.

For QU I have Nicole Kosta F, Erica Udén Johansson F, Shiann Darkangelo F, Morgan Fritz-Ward F, and Chelsea Laden G graduating.

Looking at the different numbers I think both schools have one player as leaving/one as staying that shouldn't be.
          Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

These are the only two I have different... Not sure where the difference is; I pulled up seniors only and subtracted. Just double checked, they seem right to me. Where did you get yours? I got mine here.

For SLU I have Kayla Raniwsky F, Amanda Boulier D, Jacqueline Wand F, Jessica Hon F, Ellie Williams F, and Carmen MacDonald G graduating.

For QU I have Nicole Kosta F, Erica Udén Johansson F, Shiann Darkangelo F, Morgan Fritz-Ward F, and Chelsea Laden G graduating.

Looking at the different numbers I think both schools have one player as leaving/one as staying that shouldn't be.
            If you read any of the ECAC thread that I started you would have found out, just like I did, that Boulier of SLU and Kosta of Quinny have another year due to Med Redshirt. I updated my tables with this new info.
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

If you read any of the ECAC thread that I started you would have found out, just like I did, that Boulier of SLU and Kosta of Quinny have another year due to Med Redshirt. I updated my tables with this new info.
              I'm sorry I haven't read the ECAC thread lol. Thanks for the info. I'll update the chart in the morning when I get back to my computer.
              Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-07-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

My SWAG:

4) North Dakota
                5) Clarkson
                6) Harvard
                7) Quinnipiac
                4-7 shuffle the deck and these 4 could come in any order ......
                I absolutely agree that Clarkson and Harvard will have an exciting nip and tuck all year and believe that both will make the NCAAs, although Harvard had better not expect to pull two more rabbits out of the hat against BC to offset losing the season series to Clarkson and splitting their series with SLU, Dmth, Princeton et al. as they did last year.....Quinnipiac looks very hard to predict and we'll just have to see whether their incredible defensive prowess last year owed more to all their players buying into an ethos of indefatigable effort or to the individual skills of their Clarkson/Harvard-quality goalie who has now graduated. Only time will tell.

Comment

10) Penn State -- BOLD PICK! They were very quietly just outside the TUC line last year and graduated zero (0) players.
                  However, 4th leading scorer Caitlyn Reilly transferred to Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                    However, 4th leading scorer Caitlyn Reilly transferred to Minnesota.
                    Hmmmm interesting

Comment

Hmmmm interesting
                      It's actually pretty easy to figure out what happened. She has two brothers that play for Minnesota; it would be three if Mike hadn't left for the NHL after his junior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        It's actually pretty easy to figure out what happened. She has two brothers that play for Minnesota; it would be three if Mike hadn't left for the NHL after his junior year.
                        I mean it's interesting for how I set my rankings haha

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't read the ECAC thread lol. Thanks for the info. I'll update the chart in the morning when I get back to my computer.
                          Updated link in the original post to add back in these two players, plus removed the Penn State player who transferred to UM.

Comment

Given that the recent Canada-US U22 series resulted in the Gophers outscoring both Canada & USA I’m going with the Gophers as #1 until somebody proves differently.

Gophers – 5
                            Canada – 3
                            USA - 3

Comment

1) Minnesota
                              2) Boston College
                              3) Wisconsin
                              4) Clarkson
                              5) Harvard
                              6) N Dakota
                              7) Boston University