Team Canada and the NWHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Canada and the NWHL

Been told that some Canadian players (who shall remain nameless) have been told by Melody Davidson that if they play in the NWHL that they can forget any future aspirations that they may have for playing for Team Canada, regardless of whether or not they have already previously made the Team Canada roster.

Not sure of the motive behind this.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Been told that some Canadian players (who shall remain nameless) have been told by Melody Davidson that if they play in the NWHL that they can forget any future aspirations that they may have for playing for Team Canada, regardless of whether or not they have already previously made the Team Canada roster.

Any thoughts?
    This seems extremely petty in my opinion. Not having any Canadian teams in league causes this kind of retribution?

Comment

Any thoughts?
      Seems like All of the Canadian players were told this. Not just some. Guess HC wants their star players playing each other rather than playing with and against the Americans. They dont want the Ameticans figuring out ways to defend Poulin etc.

Comment

Re: Team Canada and the NWHL

I think it's pure protectionism per the CWHL...as well as petty. To put it diplomatically. A despicable ultimatum.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by dolphinlover View Post
          Seems like All of the Canadian players were told this. Not just some. Guess HC wants their star players playing each other rather than playing with and against the Americans. They dont want the Ameticans figuring out ways to defend Poulin etc.
          Poulin plays for Boston U, I think that is in the USA

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
            This seems extremely petty in my opinion. Not having any Canadian teams in league causes this kind of retribution?
            NCAA doesn't have any teams in Canada, that doesn't seem to stop them from playing NCAA

Comment

It is no secret that the best training ground for young women is the NCAA. "Most" of the top Canadians have trained, played, developed and received an education on US soil. Now that the women have graduated HC is dictating to the women where they can play to keep the rust off and keep the skills sharp. Lets face it, that is what the CWHL has been to this point. The NWHL will be the same type of league. The difference now will be that neither will benefit by having the best players play against each other week in and week out. That was the best part of the winter for these girls in training. It is probably premature to guess how this will all play out but at the end of the day the NWHL has taken a big step in paying players who have dreamed about this day for a long time. The CWHL for some reason has not figured out a way to pay the players and because of that, are trying to protect what they have until they do figure it out. Case in point. There will be a Canadian playing for the Boston Blades which will not be a very good team. She could play in the same city and benefit by getting paid. Lets get it together and help these women. JUST REMEMBER THAT THE US AND CANADA NEED EACH OTHER OR THERE IS NO WOMEN'S HOCKEY !!!
              Last edited by Hockey Recap; 09-07-2015, 08:12 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Any thoughts?
                Makes all the sense in the world.
                1. The Canadian government and Hockey Canada have a financial stake in the CWHL through grants provided to teams for travel, uniforms, etc. The league is run through grants and sponsorships and whatever ticket sales they can muster up.
                2. The CWHL exists to ensure that Canadian Olympic hopefuls have a place to compete during off years. If the Canada's stars defect to the NWHL the league will dissappear with them.
                3. Hockey Canada is savvy enough to know their model for a women's professional league works. No guarantee the NWHL, who are paying their players, can make it long term.
                Why would the Canadian stars want to leave their homes, jobs, families, etc in Toronto, Calgary or Montreal and head off to Buffalo or Hartford for less than what $15K a year? Ms. Davidson is probably saving them from a foolish decision.
                Last edited by wpiguy; 09-07-2015, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiguy View Post
                  Makes all the sense in the world.
                  3. Hockey Canada is savvy enough
                  only makes sense to a Canadian

only in Canada would a "pro" league expect players to play for nothing, the NHL would not, and could not exist without the US
                  this is showing the protectionism that is Canada, if you think this is bad ask a US hockey player from the 50's, 60's or earlier about it
                  I'm not surprised the Canucks are stonewalling on giving the American players their release, no doubt the bigger picture for them is to keep those players out of the next Olympics
                  it is only a matter of time before Canada will have to pout about their players failing to win gold

Comment

To your points.
                    1. So what. Pay the players.
                    2. Don't we all want the same thing? If they defected sure the CWHL could fold but does that mean they would be competing any less.
                    3. Sure there model worked for the Blades Too. At the end of the day it's a training ground to keep the rust off and keep skills sharp. Nothing more. Oh yea and because the girls love to play.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      only makes sense to a Canadian

only in Canada would a "pro" league expect players to play for nothing, the NHL would not, and could not exist without the US
                      this is showing the protectionism that is Canada, if you think this is bad ask a US hockey player from the 50's, 60's or earlier about it
                      I'm not surprised the Canucks are stonewalling on giving the American players their release, no doubt the bigger picture for them is to keep those players out of the next Olympics
                      it is only a matter of time before Canada will have to pout about their players failing to win gold
                      You can't just pay people because you think they deserve it. There has to be a market for your product and then a means to create revenue from that demand. The NWHL has yet to show that a pay system will work. I hope it does but if I'm a Canadian Olympian, I'm not jumping ship right now from an established league that works to an unknown upstart for what amounts to gas and beer money, and uprooting my life in the process.

Comment

You can't just pay people because you think they deserve it. There has to be a market for your product and then a means to create revenue from that demand. The NWHL has yet to show that a pay system will work. I hope it does but if I'm a Canadian Olympian, I'm not jumping ship right now from an established league that works to an unknown upstart for what amounts to gas and beer money, and uprooting my life in the process.
                        If it's such a bad idea why the need for the ultimatum? Preventing Canadian players from making a mistake...my a s s.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

There's a big difference between a player deciding not to take that risk, and Hockey Canada telling them that if they have the temerity to want to be paid for their efforts that they can't play on the national team. So you should really stop conflating them. This is rank paternalism.

Comment

I''ve been told that a similar message came from USA Hockey to the ladies at the Women's National Festival, though I do not believe there were threats of repercussions should they play in the NW.
                            Last edited by Hux; 09-08-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              I''ve been told that a similar message came from USA Hockey to the ladies at the Women's National Festival, though I do not believe their were threats of repercussions should they play in the NW.
                              If there were no "threats of repercussions", in what way was the message "similar"?
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X