Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      I'm bored. When can we hockey again?
      no kidding. this is awful.
      they cost a lot of money when they're home too...

Comment

We hockeyed again! And apart from a terrible defensive breakdown to allow the 2-on-1 that made it 2-2, and a brainfart from everyone that made it 3-2 BU almost immediately afterwards, it was a ton of fun. Four-goal game for Skarupa makes two games in a row that a BC player has scored four goals. But beyond that, Skarupa was absolutely everywhere in this game, backchecking as well as she attacked, including drawing a round of applause from the BC supporters crowd on a particularly well-timed stick-lift from behind as the puck went into our zone.

The lines were mixed up a bit going into the New Year:

Kent-Carpenter-Sullivan
        Skarupa-Trivigno-Capizzano
        Grieves-Anastos-Newkirk
        Slowe-Summerfield-McLean (saw no ice time)

It seemed like there hadn't been a lot of practice with those lines. In particular a lot of Kent-Sullivan passes didn't quite connect. Hopefully this trial by fire will prep them well for the trial by rose petals and soothing music that should be the weekend series with Merrimack.

Skarupa is now one point off being the second all-time points-getter for BC, and 16 goals off being the second all-time leading goal-scorer.

I can't help wishing that USA Hockey had picked Emily Field over Lyndsey Fry. No offence to Fry, but BC would have won the national championship last year and this year, and the USA would have won the Olympics.

Comment

Also just want to note that it was BU's Girls Hockey Weekend game and as such girl's hockey teams could get free entry by pre-registering (as could anyone else who got the email, it turned out). That led to a turnout that was probably north of 500 and the best atmosphere at a BC game I've been to since last year's Beanpot final. Well done BU for picking that game to be the one; it could have backfired but the crowd got a thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
            Also just want to note that it was BU's Girls Hockey Weekend game and as such girl's hockey teams could get free entry by pre-registering . . .
            Minnesota has done this for every game for, I think, the last three years. There are 10-year old girls everywhere, sometimes to the detriment of actually watching the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              There are 10-year old girls everywhere, sometimes to the detriment of actually watching the game.
              For the evolution of the sport, it is more important that 10-year-old girls have access to the women's college games than that grumpy, old men are left free to grumble about mascots ruining their sight lines.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                For the evolution of the sport, it is more important that 10-year-old girls have access to the women's college games than that grumpy, old men are left free to grumble about mascots ruining their sight lines.
                Ha yes
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10

Comment

We hockeyed again! And apart from a terrible defensive breakdown to allow the 2-on-1 that made it 2-2, and a brainfart from everyone that made it 3-2 BU almost immediately afterwards, it was a ton of fun. Four-goal game for Skarupa makes two games in a row that a BC player has scored four goals. But beyond that, Skarupa was absolutely everywhere in this game, backchecking as well as she attacked, including drawing a round of applause from the BC supporters crowd on a particularly well-timed stick-lift from behind as the puck went into our zone.

The lines were mixed up a bit going into the New Year:

Kent-Carpenter-Sullivan
                  Skarupa-Trivigno-Capizzano
                  Grieves-Anastos-Newkirk
                  Slowe-Summerfield-McLean (saw no ice time)

It seemed like there hadn't been a lot of practice with those lines. In particular a lot of Kent-Sullivan passes didn't quite connect. Hopefully this trial by fire will prep them well for the trial by rose petals and soothing music that should be the weekend series with Merrimack.

Skarupa is now one point off being the second all-time points-getter for BC, and 16 goals off being the second all-time leading goal-scorer.

I can't help wishing that USA Hockey had picked Emily Field over Lyndsey Fry. No offence to Fry, but BC would have won the national championship last year and this year, and the USA would have won the Olympics.
                  If ands or buts were candy and nuts...
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    If you are going to charge me for a ticket to watch the game, I should be able to see the game. If you are more interested in a costumed mascot, there's a perfectly good concourse.

Comment

I put together a history of the BC/Harvard rivalry in preparation for tomorrow's game:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey

Came out longer than I expected but lotta mems in there

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        I put together a history of the BC/Harvard rivalry in preparation for tomorrow's game:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey

Came out longer than I expected but lotta mems in there
                        Great article, Grant. Man that 10-2 game.

Comment

Great article, Grant.
                          Agreed. Obviously lots of work went into putting that altogether.

Man that 10-2 game.
                          While I did a double-take on the 17-2 whipping that Harvard gave BC. I doubt it'll be that bad tomorrow night.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Thank you thank you -- I enjoyed writing it!

It's funny how many of me and Joe's women's hockey memories are connected to Harvard games. "10,000 Men Of Harvard" still stirs up nightmares of that Ryabkina game o.O

Comment

BC and Harvard are scoreless near the midway point of the first. The game is being broadcast on ESPN3 if you want to watch it. Skarupa and Carpenter are reunited on a line.
                              "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Not sure where to put this so here's as good a place as any.

I liked ARM's history lesson this morning and was curious what BC's chances of going undefeated actually are.

KRACH is built to give you a % chance of a team winning each games, so it's pretty simple to figure out what KRACH has to say on the matter: You would take BC's chances of beating each opponent and multiply them all together.

For the Beanpot, Hockey East, and NCAA tournament games, I matched BC up with whoever the Pairwise/WHEA standings say they'll match up with if the season ended today:

Beanpot: Should play NU
                                Hockey East tournament: Should face Maine x2, UNH, and NU
                                NCAA tournament: Should face Princeton*, QU, and UW

*Mercyhurst would be the #8 seed right now but BC would be slotted against Princeton if the tournament ended right now

So, the chance of BC:

Beating Harvard and going 28-0-0 is 96.361%
                                Beating above plus UConn and going 29-0-0 is 95.265%
                                Beating above plus Northeastern and going 30-0-0 is 88.759%
                                Beating above plus Northeastern and going 31-0-0 is 82.697%
                                Beating above plus Vermont and going 32-0-0 is 82.325%
                                Beating above plus Providence and going 33-0-0 is 81.960%
                                Beating above plus Providence and going 34-0-0 is 81.596%
                                Beating above plus Maine and going 35-0-0 is 81.279%
                                Beating above plus Maine and going 36-0-0 is 80.964%
                                Beating above plus UNH and going 37-0-0 is 80.370%
                                Beating above plus Northeastern and going 38-0-0 is 74.880%
                                Beating above plus Princeton and going 39-0-0 is 70.857%
                                Beating above plus Quinnipiac and going 40-0-0 is 63.876%
                                Beating above plus Wisconsin and going 41-0-0 is 39.734%

That seems high to me. The lower ranked teams are all going to be pretty close to 100% so any difference is negligible, but those better teams (NU, QU, UW) have a better chance than KRACH is giving them credit for because BC is undefeated. KRACH says BC has a 62.2% chance of beating UW, 90.2% chance of beating QU, and a 93.2% chance of beating NU.

I would definitely give QU and NU better than 1 in 10 odds of beating BC, and UW vs BC is probably much more of a coin flip than 62.2% (or worse).

Anyway, it's all an imperfect science but that's what the math says.
                                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-28-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X