Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    We didn't see it that way at all. Every time we seemed to get set up in the offensive zone on a power play we went straight to our positions around the perimeter and passed it back and forth at the point. It was maddening. They never moved, ever, and they were so far away from the slot that the defenders never even bothered to skate out and break up our passing because they knew we weren't going to do crap from that far away.

Oh man it was just the worst, I want to throw something just thinking about it. The stationary passing back and forth up high waiting for the D to move was just mind-numbingly stupid.
    Less talented teams took the pack it in on the penalty kill approach to negate players like Carpenter and Skarupa down low and less structure is not going to solve that issue. BC has very mobile defensemen and skilled forwards to be able change their approach to dealing with teams "Clogging the middle".
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Less talented teams took the pack it in on the penalty kill approach to negate players like Carpenter and Skarupa down low and less structure is not going to solve that issue. BC has very mobile defensemen and skilled forwards to be able change their approach to dealing with teams "Clogging the middle".
      When you have teams clogging the middle and you're passing the puck back and forth 30 feet away they aren't going to have any incentive to move. Getting them to move is the key to finding those holes.

I'll try and find a GIF to show you what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Actually I doubt I'll find one, they didn't score many goals doing that pass-back-and-forth thing.
      Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-30-2015, 02:51 PM.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Or you have somebody from the point hammer the puck like Bolden used to do, and then everybody else crashes for rebounds. I don't remember seeing much in the way of bombs from the point when I saw BC. It seemed like they were trying to score pretty goals. There aren't any style points.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Or you have somebody from the point hammer the puck like Bolden used to do, and then everybody else crashes for rebounds. I don't remember seeing much in the way of bombs from the point when I saw BC.
          Yes this too.

Sullivan has a cannon, I'd like to see her try out The Bolden Strategy on occasion.

Comment

Yes this too.

Sullivan has a cannon, I'd like to see her try out The Bolden Strategy on occasion.
            I feel like the right PP strategy for the Eagles is to take the first shot on goal as soon as possible, and if it results in a turnover use their speed to shut it down and then get back to the net when there are only two defenders there. Breakaways and rushes are how they score even strength, they should make them happen on the PP too.

Comment

Great article in the Boston Globe about Skarupa:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...iGP/story.html

“Ever since we started recruiting you [or even heard about you], we said we need Skarupa and Carp and we will win an NCAA Championship,” wrote Kennedy. “Kind of like [the Miami Heat’s] LeBron [James] and [Dwyane] Wade. Not one before the other, but together. That is the kind of player you are. You are the kind that plays well with teammates. You are the player who wins championships before individual awards.”

The e-mail left a big enough impression that Skarupa, 21, has saved it in her inbox for the last four years. The top-10 list is a reminder of why she went to BC, of the college player she hoped to be, of the titles she wanted to win. Up until now, the e-mail has proven almost prophetic. Almost. The team is still looking for its first NCAA title. And entering her senior season, Skarupa has been largely overshadowed by her linemate Carpenter.
              Gives the story pretty straight, which is nice.

Also, apparently Coach is going to start Carpenter and Skarupa on different lines. Lines at the exhibition were:

Cappy - Carp - Sulllivan (nice pairing, Sullivan is very strong and Cappy works almost as hard as Carp)
              Grieves - Anastos - Skarupa
              Kent - Trivigno - Newkirk
              and, unfortunately:
              Slowe - Little - McLean (read it out loud and remember McLean *is* little).

Comment

Wow that quote in the article... man.

Also those are ridiculously deep lines, holy smokes. Srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                  Lines at the exhibition were:

Cappy - Carp - Sulllivan (nice pairing, Sullivan is very strong and Cappy works almost as hard as Carp)
                  Grieves - Anastos - Skarupa
                  Kent - Trivigno - Newkirk
                  and, unfortunately:
                  Slowe - Little - McLean (read it out loud and remember McLean *is* little).
                  My understanding is that anyone with the name 'Sullivan' must be called 'Sully'.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    My understanding is that anyone with the name 'Sullivan' must be called 'Sully'.
                    I can confirm this is accurate

Comment

Gameday gameday gameday gameday gameday GAMEDAY

GAMEDAY

Comment

Gameday gameday gameday gameday gameday GAMEDAY

GAMEDAY
                        Is your video free?
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Is your video free?
                          You know, I'm actually not sure. It always has been but we have a new platform this year. It's at BCEagles.tv.

EDIT: The game claims to be "premium" today... so.... errrr you (and me, for most games) might be SOL
                          Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 10-02-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

You know, I'm actually not sure. It always has been but we have a new platform this year. It's at BCEagles.tv.

EDIT: The game claims to be "premium" today... so.... errrr you (and me, for most games) might be SOL
                            Looks like $6.95 for the single game, $10.95 for a monthly subscription, and $89.95 for the year. Bummer...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Looks like $6.95 for the single game, $10.95 for a monthly subscription, and $89.95 for the year. Bummer...
                              TTT puts together a GIF package of the goals, and if BC scores somewhere between 50 and 90 goals as promised, that should be a large chunk of the game for free.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                TTT puts together a GIF package of the goals, and if BC scores somewhere between 50 and 90 goals as promised, that should be a large chunk of the game for free.
                                The Bulldogs may want to draw a lot of penalties, as it seems that putting BC on the power play is the only way to slow them down.

Comment

Working...
                                X