BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

5-1 win at Walter Brown against a Guelph Gryphons team (great name, great kit) who got stronger as the game went on. Carp obviously the standout but significant steps up by Trivigno and Capizzano I thought: Capizzano had a great play where she was tripped going for a breakaway on the PK, regained control without hitting the ice, made it all the way to the net and had two shots on goal before Carpenter got it in on the rebound. Trivigno was making plays all over the ice; she's not a possession player the way Skarupa is but she is great at finding moves that change the momentum of the play. Grieves got to play on a line with Skarupa and Anastos, a big step up from being on the fourth line last year, but she really earned the extra ice time. Will be interesting to see how that line works out if it stays together: Anastos is not as fast as Grieves and Skarupa but fantastic at possession, so it seems likely that we'll see a lot of Skarupa/Grieves or Anastos/Skarupa plays but not necessarily a lot of plays with the whole line.

Bizal is very good on D, Newkirk and Slowe the most impressive frosh on F. The PP was significantly improved from last year, much more dynamic; we didn't score on any of the PPs but did a much better job of keeping the other team off-balance.

We lost a lot of firepower in Field and Leary (and Doherty as backup). I don't think we've replaced it fully. Newkirk and Slowe will probably score more than Doherty but it's not clear they'll score as much as Field or Leary. But I think our D has taken a step up even given the loss of Pfalzer. A run of slightly closer games than we had last year will probably do the team good come the tougher games of the second half of the season. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
      5-1 win at Walter Brown against a Guelph Gryphons team (great name, great kit) who got stronger as the game went on. Carp obviously the standout but significant steps up by Trivigno and Capizzano I thought: Capizzano had a great play where she was tripped going for a breakaway on the PK, regained control without hitting the ice, made it all the way to the net and had two shots on goal before Carpenter got it in on the rebound. Trivigno was making plays all over the ice; she's not a possession player the way Skarupa is but she is great at finding moves that change the momentum of the play. Grieves got to play on a line with Skarupa and Anastos, a big step up from being on the fourth line last year, but she really earned the extra ice time. Will be interesting to see how that line works out if it stays together: Anastos is not as fast as Grieves and Skarupa but fantastic at possession, so it seems likely that we'll see a lot of Skarupa/Grieves or Anastos/Skarupa plays but not necessarily a lot of plays with the whole line.

Bizal is very good on D, Newkirk and Slowe the most impressive frosh on F. The PP was significantly improved from last year, much more dynamic; we didn't score on any of the PPs but did a much better job of keeping the other team off-balance.

We lost a lot of firepower in Field and Leary (and Doherty as backup). I don't think we've replaced it fully. Newkirk and Slowe will probably score more than Doherty but it's not clear they'll score as much as Field or Leary. But I think our D has taken a step up even given the loss of Pfalzer. A run of slightly closer games than we had last year will probably do the team good come the tougher games of the second half of the season. Fingers crossed.
      Thanks for the recap...Look forward to watching BC at times this year online.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Thunston was easily the best player on a loaded Whitecaps roster that included the Lams, Bona, Sarah Erickson, etc in their game against the Gophers last night.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Thunston was easily the best player on a loaded Whitecaps roster that included the Lams, Bona, Sarah Erickson, etc in their game against the Gophers last night.
          Didn't see that coming... who would have thought she's still got it after being away from hockey for a while.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Thunston?! Really?! It's Allie Thunstrom. How can anyone get that wrong?!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Didn't see that coming... who would have thought she's still got it after being away from hockey for a while.
              She has the burst and seemed to be in better shape than many of her teammates. And like most BC forwards, she doesn't waste energy defending.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                She has the burst and seemed to be in better shape than many of her teammates. And like most BC forwards, she doesn't waste energy defending.
                you people are aware she's been speedskating since "retiring", right?
                good enough to make the US Olympic trials
                she's probably faster now than at BC

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  But she sure can fly when she gets the puck on her stick. Still, I would never trade Pannek's or Brandt's playmaking skills for her straight-ahead speed. Of course one could say that about just anybody.

Also, was it just me or was anyone else surprised - in a very good way - with the blistering wrist shot that Schipper banged off metal and in against Raty? That was something to see, and off a breakaway no less (after a beautiful long pass by Pannek, right on the tape to send her in all alone). But on Schipper's other breakaway that followed, Noora came up huge when Schipper put a very nice move on her. Two of the many very exciting moments in the game.
                  Last edited by D2D; 09-26-2015, 07:54 PM.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    you people are aware she's been speedskating since "retiring", right?
                    good enough to make the US Olympic trials
                    she's probably faster now than at BC
                    Definitely, but I'm a pretty quick skater yet halfway to useless with a stick in my hand lol (not that she is, just that skating is only part of the battle and I doubt she was working on a shot much training for the Olympics)

Allie Thunstrom was a beast here but I don't think I've ever seen anyone miss so many breakaway chances. She's the only person I've ever seen injure herself on a penalty shot.

Comment

Definitely, but I'm a pretty quick skater yet halfway to useless with a stick in my hand lol (not that she is, just that skating is only part of the battle and I doubt she was working on a shot much training for the Olympics)

Allie Thunstrom was a beast here but I don't think I've ever seen anyone miss so many breakaway chances. She's the only person I've ever seen injure herself on a penalty shot.

I don't doubt that you are faster than all the little kids and their parents at the rink
                      but when I use the term fast, I mean faster than everybody else
                      she looked like she had a gear everybody else was lacking
                      and scored a goal and had 2 assists the next night
                      so maybe not the best player on the ice, but the top scorer anyway

when you have that kind of speed, it creates its own opportunity

Comment

I sat down with Coach Crowley for a preseason interview -- check it out:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-katie-crowley

Comment

I sat down with Coach Crowley for a preseason interview -- check it out:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-katie-crowley
                          Interesting interview, Grant. You asked some tough (but very fair) questions.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Interesting interview, Grant. You asked some tough (but very fair) questions.
                            Why thank you -- that was the goal!

Comment

I found this interesting...

"We have some very creative players so maybe by us giving them a little bit less structure it will improve."

See, I thought when I had the chance to watch their power play last year that it was more individualistic and less "structured". In fact, how they play as a whole seems less "structured" in comparison to teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                See, I thought when I had the chance to watch their power play last year that it was more individualistic and less "structured".
                                We didn't see it that way at all. Every time we seemed to get set up in the offensive zone on a power play we went straight to our positions around the perimeter and passed it back and forth at the point. It was maddening. They never moved, ever, and they were so far away from the slot that the defenders never even bothered to skate out and break up our passing because they knew we weren't going to do crap from that far away.

Oh man it was just the worst, I want to throw something just thinking about it. The stationary passing back and forth up high waiting for the D to move was just mind-numbingly stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X