Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Not sure where to put this so here's as good a place as any.

I liked ARM's history lesson this morning and was curious what BC's chances of going undefeated actually are.

KRACH is built to give you a % chance of a team winning each games, so it's pretty simple to figure out what KRACH has to say on the matter: You would take BC's chances of beating each opponent and multiply them all together.

For the Beanpot, Hockey East, and NCAA tournament games, I matched BC up with whoever the Pairwise/WHEA standings say they'll match up with if the season ended today:

Beanpot: Should play NU
    Hockey East tournament: Should face Maine x2, UNH, and NU
    NCAA tournament: Should face Princeton*, QU, and UW

*Mercyhurst would be the #8 seed right now but BC would be slotted against Princeton if the tournament ended right now

So, the chance of BC:

Beating Harvard and going 28-0-0 is 96.361%
    Beating above plus UConn and going 29-0-0 is 95.265%
    Beating above plus Northeastern and going 30-0-0 is 88.759%
    Beating above plus Northeastern and going 31-0-0 is 82.697%
    Beating above plus Vermont and going 32-0-0 is 82.325%
    Beating above plus Providence and going 33-0-0 is 81.960%
    Beating above plus Providence and going 34-0-0 is 81.596%
    Beating above plus Maine and going 35-0-0 is 81.279%
    Beating above plus Maine and going 36-0-0 is 80.964%
    Beating above plus UNH and going 37-0-0 is 80.370%
    Beating above plus Northeastern and going 38-0-0 is 74.880%
    Beating above plus Princeton and going 39-0-0 is 70.857%
    Beating above plus Quinnipiac and going 40-0-0 is 63.876%
    Beating above plus Wisconsin and going 41-0-0 is 39.734%

That seems high to me. The lower ranked teams are all going to be pretty close to 100% so any difference is negligible, but those better teams (NU, QU, UW) have a better chance than KRACH is giving them credit for because BC is undefeated. KRACH says BC has a 62.2% chance of beating UW, 90.2% chance of beating QU, and a 93.2% chance of beating NU.

I would definitely give QU and NU better than 1 in 10 odds of beating BC, and UW vs BC is probably much more of a coin flip than 62.2% (or worse).

Anyway, it's all an imperfect science but that's what the math says.
    ...and its even better that these 5 teams are just as strong academically

https://t.co/jfBRfiTpmb

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
      ...and its even better that these 5 teams are just as strong academically

https://t.co/jfBRfiTpmb
      Another reason why it's nice following this sport
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I put together a history of the BC/Harvard rivalry in preparation for tomorrow's game:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey

Came out longer than I expected but lotta mems in there
        Great article!

I have been following Harvard women's hockey since 1987 when my son's babysitter, a girl from Brampton, ON, started at Harvard and I would take my son to all of her games. After 4 years we fond another Canadian Harvard student and hockey player for babysitting the next 3 years. I have season tickets to both men's and women's Harvard hockey (I know it seems a bit obsessive)

I loved seeing the reference to Liza Ryabkina. Liza came to the US in a program funded by Gene Kinasewich (Harvard '64) which brought academically talented athletes from the Ukraine to the US for a prep school year in hopes they could study and play in the US. While he lived he was a huge fan of women's hockey and came to most Harvard women's games.

Gene also figures in Harvard BC hockey history as he starred in a Harvard-BC gane for the ECAC title back in 1963 (I think as I recall Dave Johnston was still playing for Harvard) Gene scored in overtime to win the game The game was at the old Boston Arena where my dad played for Boston Latin. Back in my father's day, during WW I, teams had 7 players on the ice at a time. (goal, 2 wings, 2 defence, rover and cover point).

Comment

Wow great story! I like how you went from one player babysitter to another haha.

Also didn't know they used to play with six skaters on the ice. When did that end?

Comment

Wow great story!
            That article is "must" reading (and watching) for any fan of women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
              That article is "must" reading (and watching) for any fan of women's hockey.
              Mine??

Comment

Mine??
                Yup. Nice job. Here's the "must read" link: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                  Yup. Nice job. Here's the "must read" link: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey
                  Wow thank you for the kind words!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                    "That’s odd... Microsoft Edge can’t find this page."
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      "That’s odd... Microsoft Edge can’t find this page."
                      Looks like PuckRush copy/pasted the shortened link. Here you go: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey

Comment

Looks like PuckRush copy/pasted the shortened link. Here you go: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-womens-hockey
                        Great read, and the video highlights were fun too.

That said, Go Crimson!
                        Last edited by D2D; 02-01-2016, 02:05 PM.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wow great story! I like how you went from one player babysitter to another haha.

Also didn't know they used to play with six skaters on the ice. When did that end?

Well the we needed a babysitter when the wife went back to practicing law and found the first, Gillian, through the Harvard student employment office. Four days a week she would take my son home from school and when we got home we would drive her to hockey practice. When she was graduating she found us Sharon, a freshman teammate from Montreal. She said she wanted to help find a babysitter but I think she didn't trust us to find one good enough for her honorary baby brother. The second girl had not played hockey until 11th grade but her dad, Dave Johnston, had been an All American two years at Harvard and as head of McGill was able to get early morning ice time for lots of hockey tutoring. Both girls are now doctors in Ontario and still close to us. I am the Godfather of Gillian's two kids.

As to the change from six skaters to five I do not know the exact year but Dad was Boston Latin School '19 and played rover there but he was Bates '25 and played wing at Bates with five skaters.

My dad took me to lots of college hockey games and was a huge fan of Gene Kinasewich. Gene went on to get a doctorate at Harvard and was a Dean at Harvard for a while. I used to meet him at most of the Harvard women's games in the late 80's early 90's. He was a huge fan of the women's game. A very fine gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            I loved seeing the reference to Liza Ryabkina. Liza came to the US in a program funded by Gene Kinasewich (Harvard '64) which brought academically talented athletes from the Ukraine to the US for a prep school year in hopes they could study and play in the US. While he lived he was a huge fan of women's hockey and came to most Harvard women's games.
                            I liked the reference to Liza as well. Still remember seeing her play for the first time as a 16 year old with the Polar Bears, on the same team as Hillary Knight. Pure talent. One of our daughters ended up playing with Liza's friend and fellow Ukranian Vika Mykolenko at another school. I believe both still live and work in the BeanTown area.

Comment

Does anyone know of tonight's games being televised or streamed? Might NESN or NESN+ actually give equal time to the fairer sex?

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                Does anyone know of tonight's games being televised or streamed? Might NESN or NESN+ actually give equal time to the fairer sex?
                                Ha good one

It'll be streamed on goterriers.com/collegesportslive however looks like BU made them free which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X