BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    So Bert was much superior to Leville and the two teams were even and would split a 10 game series . . . sorry but that makes no sense given the outcome. You can believe one or the other but you can't defend the two together

Comment

• Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      So Bert was much superior to Leville and the two teams were even and would split a 10 game series . . . sorry but that makes no sense given the outcome. You can believe one or the other but you can't defend the two together
      Like I said. You win.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        Thank you -- all of this sums it up.
        If you would have said arguably the most improved women's hockey program in the country over the last 5-10 years or so, I'd say you have a strong case. But that is different than making a case for one of the 3 most successful teams during that same period. Some people might define success as waking up in the morning but I think that most would ultimately need to see the hardware to give the word "success" any real credibility.

If your time frame had been the last few years...no argument from me.

UMD has been down on their luck, to say the least, in the last few years but because they are not presently in the mix you can't just arbitrarily and conveniently erase the last "5-10 or so" (and "or so" might mean 11, 12, 13 or 14yrs?) record book years from your mind and make such a sweeping statement as you made without expecting to be challenged on it with facts and the supporting hardware.

As an aside, I also have found it interesting that UMD before or since their recent slide never seem to shy away from playing the best teams in the east... BC twice that I can recall including earlier this year, BU, UNH when they were experiencing better days. Brad Frost admitted in an interview I read last week the dilemma that WCHA teams seem to have in this regard every year, implying that it is probably a better strategy to avoid such matchups because of the damage they can cause a team in the rankings late in the season. Pretty sad when you have to be thinking about avoiding decent competition because of what it might do to your chances near the end of the season.

I like UMD's attitude...play the best teams you can as often as you can in the annual out of conference games...which they seem to have made a good effort to do...anything less is disingenuous.

(Forgot to mention...very good articles you penned during the tournament...very enjoyable, especially with the looped highlight video clips attached).
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-21-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Some people might define success as waking up in the morning but I think that most would ultimately need to see the hardware to give the word "success" any real credibility.
          A majority of the people who have weighed in on this disagree with you, which I suggest means that, at least, this is much less self-evident than you seem to think. As much as there is a claim that you have to have won championships to be considered one of the three best teams of the last ten years, it's also the case that "the last ten years" at least implies that you have been good across that period of time, and UMD simply hasn't. It's been six years since they won a single game in the NCAA tournament, and five since they've even been in it. They haven't finished higher than 4th in their own conference in five years. UMD fails any test of consistency at least as badly as BC fails any test of hardware.

UMD has been down on their luck, to say the least, in the last few years but because they are not presently in the mix you can't just arbitrarily and conveniently erase the last "5-10 or so" (and "or so" might mean 11, 12, 13 or 14yrs?) record book years from your mind and make such a sweeping statement as you made without expecting to be challenged on it with facts and the supporting hardware.
          Again, what he said wasn't all that sweeping; that's just your imagination at work. A rebuttal was fine; your incredulity is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Brad Frost admitted in an interview I read last week the dilemma that WCHA teams seem to have in this regard every year, implying that it is probably a better strategy to avoid such matchups because of the damage they can cause a team in the rankings late in the season. Pretty sad when you have to be thinking about avoiding decent competition because of what it might do to your chances near the end of the season.

(Forgot to mention...very good articles you penned during the tournament...very enjoyable, especially with the looped highlight video clips attached).
            Thanks for this, I really appreciate that -- although you may take it back when you read the article I wrote earlier in the week about that article you mentioned about Frost... lol

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...consin-badgers

All I'm going to say is that while the article was slightly more than a little bit tongue-in-cheek, the actual mathematics of it all do make Frost's reasoning a little bit fuzzy at best and flat out wrong at worst.

Comment

My other hot take I've been keeping to myself is I thought Burt was significantly better than Leveille. Leveille did improve as the game went on and had some tremendous saves, but I have not seen a goalie keep a game a shutout for so long giving up as many rebounds as she did. If only BC could get a couple sticks on them... but they didn't. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a party it would have been in Chestnut Hill last night.
              LOL, we hear the same thing from Wisco fans
              all those impressive stats Burt & Desbiens put up, pffffft!!!
              what did they do when it really counted?
              Leveille llifetime against Badgers 12-3-1, inclluding 3 NCAA semifinall victories
              no goalie has won more NCAA championships
              LLoLL!!

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                If you mean in terms of number of rings, then you're correct. However, Jesse Vetter won three as the goaltender of record.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for this, I really appreciate that -- although you may take it back when you read the article I wrote earlier in the week about that article you mentioned about Frost... lol

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...consin-badgers

All I'm going to say is that while the article was slightly more than a little bit tongue-in-cheek, the actual mathematics of it all do make Frost's reasoning a little bit fuzzy at best and flat out wrong at worst.
                  No, nothing to take back and I'm glad you mentioned the UMD vs HU matchups...I was going to include them in my previous post since I thought that they had scheduled HU a few years ago but couldn't recall for sure. And, as I mentioned, UMD was scheduling top eastern opponents before their slide from prominence, (when theoretically they had more to lose, that is if the theory holds any water), and has continued to do so since.

So, no, nothing to take back...we basically agree...your article just put more meat on the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    LOL, we hear the same thing from Wisco fans
                    all those impressive stats Burt & Desbiens put up, pffffft!!!
                    what did they do when it really counted?
                    Leveille llifetime against Badgers 12-3-1, inclluding 3 NCAA semifinall victories
                    LLoLL!!
                    ya, they were terrible. both coaches should have pulled them halfway through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                      ya, they were terrible. both coaches should have pulled them halfway through.
                      Well I guess we will all see next year what they're made of. But you can relax I mean you've got the Harvard castoff arriving next season. Better make sure you've got her school work covered....

Comment

Congratulations to Katie Crowley and the Eagles on another fantastic season!
                        40-1 this year
                        34-3-2 last year
                        27-7-3 the year before
                        28-6-3 in 2012-13 clearly one of the all-time great runs.
                        Obviously, the season didn't end they way they wanted, I have mentioned before in the Minnesota thread that judging a season solely on whether you win a national championship or not is crazy making and can get one's perspective as old Twins coach Tom Kelly would say "out of whack!"
                        Coach Crowley and her team know what they accomplished in putting together their 86% winning percentage over the past 4 years!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEnd65 View Post
                          Well I guess we will all see next year what they're made of. But you can relax I mean you've got the Harvard castoff arriving next season. Better make sure you've got her school work covered....

you have no idea about the Harvard story. when you become familiar with the WHOLE story come back and comment. another band member heard from...

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                            you have no idea about the Harvard story. when you become familiar with the WHOLE story come back and comment. another band member heard from...
                            Well lets see. Player A doesn't get the SAT scores required to get INTO Harvard. Doesn't get invited to Harvard entrance interview... Sound 'bout right to you Teddy?

Comment

You sure are giving Minnesota fans a good name. You're a classless piece of sh it. Are the rest of the Gopher fans like you?

Comment

You sure are giving Minnesota fans a good name. You're a classless piece of sh it. Are the rest of the Gopher fans like you?
                                You know the answer to your question and you broke the rule that your remind us about not to respond to a certain other poster...
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X