BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

SOON! Just three weeks away from the exhibition -- 9/25 vs. University of Guelph (lol) at Walter Brown.

Unfortunately a week later the cupcake diet will be in full effect with 2 vs. Duluth. Still... Excited? Yes.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: BC Women's Hockey, 2015-2016: Embrace The Cupcake Diet

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    SOON! Just three weeks away from the exhibition -- 9/25 vs. University of Guelph (lol) at Walter Brown.

Unfortunately a week later the cupcake diet will be in full effect with 2 vs. Duluth. Still... Excited? Yes.
    Been kind of quiet from folks out East so looking forward to some hyperbole ramping up.

Who dat say they gonna beat dem Eagles?
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Taylor Wasylk, former BC standout, now assistant coach at SUNY Canton: http://www.rooathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=128

She was formerly assistant at U Mass Boston, but I'd say an assistant coach's salary goes a lot further in Canton.

Comment

Is there a sense that this might be the year for BC to put it all together in light of what they lose after this year? They still have a dynamic duo (like Minnesota) which are a matchup nightmare plus a deep supporting cast of forwards. They have a goaltender that now has a year of D1 experience. They certainly lost a great player in Pfalzer to graduation on the blue line that will be difficult to replace but I think they bring in enough freshmen talent (Bizal in particular) to offset that.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Is there a sense that this might be the year for BC to put it all together in light of what they lose after this year? They still have a dynamic duo (like Minnesota) which are a matchup nightmare plus a deep supporting cast of forwards. They have a goaltender that now has a year of D1 experience. They certainly lost a great player in Pfalzer to graduation on the blue line that will be difficult to replace but I think they bring in enough freshmen talent (Bizal in particular) to offset that.
          I think you're pretty much spot on. This doesn't so much "feel like the year" as "if it's ever going to happen this feels like it's going to have to be the year or it's not going to happen."

I have extremely high hopes for Burt. She was a 17 year old last year. 17. And yet, she was top 2 in just about every stat. Rumor has it she's been busting her *** all summer. I'm excited to see what she's got with a year of experience. Last year I was the only one who (correctly!) predicted Pfalzer would make the Kaz 10, this year I think Burt makes it. She's going to have insane numbers.

Losing Pfalzer sucks, a lot. But I think we have a pretty deep core of defensive defensemen which is going to somewhat change the way we play the game I think. Not that Bender/Keller aren't two way defensemen, but losing Pfalzer takes a bit of that aspect away. I'm a huge fan of Miano. Look for her to be our top defenseman this year.

The good thing about the future is there is a very, very good young core, just without the Carpenter/Skarupa "X" factor. They won't fall off the map like they did in 2010 but they're in for a definite drop losing those two. It's just unavoidable.

Would have really been nice to get Samoskevich in this class. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Is there a sense that this might be the year for BC to put it all together in light of what they lose after this year?
            That gets mitigated to an extent because so many top teams get hit hard by graduation after the coming season. Looking at what other contenders like Harvard, Minnesota, and Clarkson will lose, as well as the next tier of teams like Quinnipiac, BU, Mercyhurst, Bemidji State, North Dakota, and Northeastern, the Eagles won't be the only ones trying to fill big holes a year from now. Wisconsin figures to be most likely to benefit compared to the rest.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

SOON!
              Slow news day, I'll bite. Da Dawgettes considered a cupcake!? Eastern bias, when you you people ever learn?
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Last year I was the only one who (correctly!) predicted Pfalzer would make the Kaz 10, this year I think Burt makes it. She's going to have insane numbers.
                good luck with that
                if you make enough predictions, some are bound to be true

just ask atrologists

FWIW, both All-Americans return, the WCHA is the best this year it has ever been between the pipes, goals are going to be at a premium this year

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  good luck with that
                  if you make enough predictions, some are bound to be true

just ask atrologists

FWIW, both All-Americans return, the WCHA is the best this year it has ever been between the pipes, goals are going to be at a premium this year
                  DATE STAMPED!

I'm glad this is on page one so it'll be easy to find when the Kaz10 announcement comes out

I agree with ARM big time by the way -- Wisco's time to shine in 2016-2017 methinks.

Next Olympic year is... what, 2017-2018 right?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Slow news day, I'll bite. Da Dawgettes considered a cupcake!? Eastern bias, when you you people ever learn?
                    CUPCAKE I say! An additional team for the Gophers to fatten up on before the tournament. "The Merrimack Of The West"!
                    That prediction is probably incorrect.
                    Two cupcake filled teams gonna duke it out in the final. You heard it here first!

Comment

I'm glad this is on page one so it'll be easy to find when the Kaz10 announcement comes out
                      I agree that she'll improve over her first year, but insane numbers for a goalie on a team that dominates territorially often doesn't lead to Kaz recognition. The Kazmaier isn't really a goalie-friendly award. It doesn't penalize them as much as D, but it is close. In her first year as the starter, Leveille had numbers similar to what Räty posted the year before, but it is tough for a goaltender to make Kaz waves if the perception isn't that she's one of her team's top couple of players. If she's also an underclassman, that's another hurdle to clear. Maschmeyer is the most likely to make the top 10, although she'll be hurt by a rotation. Mowat and Amsley-Benzie also figure to have to share some starts. Of the underclassmen, Tiley is probably positioned the best in terms of the combination of her reputation and talent combined with her role and importance to her team's success. We saw last year when Burt was gone that BC could stick any rusty goalie between the pipes and still win. The goalie might looks shakey, but it doesn't matter because the offense will outscore almost everyone and will control the puck most of the time. Once Carpenter and Skarupa are gone and aren't taking two Kaz votes from every opposing coach, then Burt will have much better prospects then she will this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        We saw last year when Burt was gone that BC could stick any rusty goalie between the pipes and still win.
                        I mean, yeah, but that's true for most teams,* and let's all remember that the first three shots of the year against a goalie not named Katie Burt all ended up in the net lol**

*I get your point though.
                        **I am nonetheless a big Switaj fan
                        Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-17-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I agree that she'll improve over her first year, but insane numbers for a goalie on a team that dominates territorially often doesn't lead to Kaz recognition. The Kazmaier isn't really a goalie-friendly award. It doesn't penalize them as much as D, but it is close. In her first year as the starter, Leveille had numbers similar to what Räty posted the year before, but it is tough for a goaltender to make Kaz waves if the perception isn't that she's one of her team's top couple of players. If she's also an underclassman, that's another hurdle to clear. Maschmeyer is the most likely to make the top 10, although she'll be hurt by a rotation. Mowat and Amsley-Benzie also figure to have to share some starts. Of the underclassmen, Tiley is probably positioned the best in terms of the combination of her reputation and talent combined with her role and importance to her team's success. We saw last year when Burt was gone that BC could stick any rusty goalie between the pipes and still win. The goalie might looks shakey, but it doesn't matter because the offense will outscore almost everyone and will control the puck most of the time. Once Carpenter and Skarupa are gone and aren't taking two Kaz votes from every opposing coach, then Burt will have much better prospects then she will this year.
                          in addition to ARM's argument another reason is when you look at the statistics, the 3 goalies for BC, MN, & WI are statistically indistinguishable:
                          Leveille 1.18 GAA 94.6 S%
                          Burt 1.11 GAA 94.1 S%
                          Desbiens 1.15 GAA 94.1 S%

translated:
                          it would take 14 games for Leveille to give up an extra goal over Burt & 25 for Desbiens
                          but when looking at shots Burt & Desbiens will give up an extra goal every 20 shots

so just going by the numbers they split the vote ( how can you say one is statistically better than the other?)

Mowat, Ashley-Benzie, & to a lesser extent Maschmeyer, their teams scored less, so they needed them more to win
                          with A-B ultimately getting the PK nomination(her S% being significantly higher than the rest probably helped) and her & Mowat (beating the Gophers twice and tying them once likely helped) getting the AA award

all of those goalies return, plus there are other talented ones, the criteria isn't going to be any different this year
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            Mowat, Ashley-Benzie, & to a lesser extent Maschmeyer, their teams scored less, so they needed them more to win
                            with A-B ultimately getting the PK nomination(her S% being significantly higher than the rest probably helped) and her & Mowat (beating the Gophers twice and tying them once likely helped)
                            I think a big help to A-B was that UND was "meh" for much of the season, then she started getting all the starts and the team became one of the hottest in the country. If a player can do something that visibly improves results, that is huge.

Comment

Would have really been nice to get Samoskevich in this class. Oh well.
                              Maybe she will transfer

Comment

Working...
                              X