Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgiving

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by burd View Post
    It's unfortunate that 100 years ago nobody acted on their belief that black people should be able to sit next to white folks at the restaurant or that women should have the same rights as men. I guess most people either didn't care about others back in the day or had no conviction to act.
    I'd respond to this if I thought there was a decent discussion being sought out. But I don't see any reason to think so. Typical burd trolling.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      100 years ago that noted progressive president, the former president of Princeton and former governor of New Jersey resegregated the federal workforce.

They believed that non whites (the exception were the Japanese) were inferior. It was genetics, you see.
      And....

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        And....
        He got reelected.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS VIII - I am certiorari we'll be arguing until Thanksgivin

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          You are correct to an extent that people as a whole aren't as focused on certain days/etc. and I think that is healthy. That said, the real shift is away from making stands that cost a person significantly. Lots of people makes stands nowadays, but how many of those stands cost them a career or a lifelong aspiration or something really significant to them? Not many. People boycott a product and buy a similar product from someone else. No real sacrifice there.
          It may be, but I think the willingness to risk much for principle has always been vanishingly rare, which is why it has always been celebrated as exceptional. We may tend to overestimate the number of cases in the past because they loom so large, and because we know the stories in retrospect. Right this moment there may be individuals risking everything who we'll not know about until much later.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's unfortunate that 100 years ago nobody acted on their belief that black people should be able to sit next to white folks at the restaurant or that women should have the same rights as men. I guess most people either didn't care about others back in the day or had no conviction to act.
            I'd respond to this if I thought there was a decent discussion being sought out. But I don't see any reason to think so. Typical burd trolling.
            You're right--let me rephrase:

There was a time when peoples' beliefs were a good deal less important in their decision making than they are nowadays, generally speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              He got reelected.
              And...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                And...
                I don't know what you're looking for. As JFK wrote that you have to understand the "time and the place" to understand the actions happening. 100 years ago everything was different than it is today. The Red Sox were good, the Yankees (Highlanders) stunk, Indians were not citizens, women could not vote, and we had very restrictive immigration laws.

Oh, and we invaded Mexico to keep Pancho Villa out.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Which directly speaks to nothing that has been discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    a hundred years ago nobody cared about the environment and there were very few boycotts of products because of "market vice" practices.
                    Your timeline is a bit off, no?

Yellowstone became a national park in 1872. John Muir founded The Sierra Club in 1892, an early conservation/environmental organization from 123 years ago.

Upton Sinclair published The Jungle in 1906 (109 years ago) and the outrage was so great that it led to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Your timeline is a bit off, no?

Yellowstone became a national park in 1872. John Muir founded The Sierra Club in 1892, an early conservation/environmental organization from 123 years ago.

Upton Sinclair published The Jungle in 1906 (109 years ago) and the outrage was so great that it led to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

or are we supposed to believe that no enlightened people ever existed before you were born?
                      That's fair. Make it 150.

The "enlightened" crack shows you missed the whole point, though.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It may be, but I think the willingness to risk much for principle has always been vanishingly rare, which is why it has always been celebrated as exceptional. We may tend to overestimate the number of cases in the past because they loom so large, and because we know the stories in retrospect. Right this moment there may be individuals risking everything who we'll not know about until much later.
                        This is obviously something that can't be easily quantified. I tend to think folks in the past were more willing to take stands and risks more than people now. If for no other reason that folks today are materially much better off and if nothing tend to be complacent as long as their material well being is not impinged upon significantly.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You're right--let me rephrase:
                          Another conversation with yourself.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

This is obviously something that can't be easily quantified. I tend to think folks in the past were more willing to take stands and risks more than people now. If for no other reason that folks today are materially much better off and if nothing tend to be complacent as long as their material well being is not impinged upon significantly.
                            So, principle's just another word for nothin' left to lose?

It's funny, but I was actually planning to make that very point when I was writing the original response. The stakes are not as high for most people any more, primarily because of all the social justice battles that have been won in the past. Now we argue about whether people can marry, 50 years ago the stakes were higher, it was whether they could vote. 150 years ago it was whether somebody could own them. The stakes are getting progressively lower for everyone but the poor. (Even the current egregious life or death battle, cops killing people just for being black and thus "threatening," is really just a stand-in for the guilt by association of blacks with being poor and thus "threatening.")
                            Cornell University

Comment

you missed the whole point, though.
                              I thought the whole point of every one of your posts was to remind us how much more you know than anyone else??
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                I thought the whole point of every one of your posts was to remind us how much more you know than anyone else??
                                And what is the point of yours...to remind us all that you know very little about most topics and nothing at all about the rest?
                                Last edited by Handyman; 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X