Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I welcome any solution where BSU is a rival again. This forced rivalry with BG sucks.

GFM
    Somehow I think Mankato has that spot tied up
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      I don't know. We've had 3 series with BGSU in the nWCHA, and all 3 were splits, with 3 of the games going to overtime. That's at least the start of a pretty decent rivalry. Maybe we should swap rivals with UAH.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGFan View Post
        Oddly enough, BGSU's president Mazey is on the board to try to bring ASU into the WCHA. So is BG still grumbling about the travel costs?
        Yes. Our travel budget continues to be a concern. Without knowing for sure I'm guessing the WCHA is asking for a subsidy for travel like they have for the Alaskas.

There is no NCAA exemption to just add more home games if you have to head to Tempe like there is for Alaska. How is a limited budget school like Lake Superior going to afford an additional $15,000~? And the Alaska school system is facing massive cuts with their athletic programs in the crosshairs.
        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
          Yes. Our travel budget continues to be a concern.
          You probably have the easiest travel budget of any non-Michigan team.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I look at it as due dilligance on the part of the WCHA. If the member schools want to at least entertain ASU, maybe there becomes a working agreement for NC games against ASU if they land in the B1G or NCHC. There is likely more to this trip than "begging" ASU to join.

On the flip side, ASU could have said no to the visit by the WCHA.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              Yes. Our travel budget continues to be a concern. Without knowing for sure I'm guessing the WCHA is asking for a subsidy for travel like they have for the Alaskas.

There is no NCAA exemption to just add more home games if you have to head to Tempe like there is for Alaska. How is a limited budget school like Lake Superior going to afford an additional $15,000~? And the Alaska school system is facing massive cuts with their athletic programs in the crosshairs.
              I'm sure the WCHA is asking for a subsidy but I still find it odd that if our travel budget is stretched so thin Mazey agree to be a part of the group that is courting ASU. I doubt that the subsidy, if agreed to, would be enough to offset the extra cost since flying would be the only reasonable way to get there. Unless, of course, we're trying to add another all D1 team to the league for reasons that outweigh the travel budget.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                You really don't pay attention to details do you? the 11 team schedule would likely included "double rivals"
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

ASU is a flight for every team, in every conference. The closest D-I team to ASU is currently Air Force / Colorado College, 12 hours away. Everyone is going to fly in and ASU is going to fly everywhere. I would be somewhat surprised if even the NCHC wasn't asking for money from ASU if they join the conference.

As for destinations, are Houghton, Marquette, SSM any worse than Grand Forks, the "jewel" of the NCHC? I doubt any kids out West looking forward to visiting the Dakotas in February.

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    Why would having games on the Pac12 Network make any difference?
                    I look at the NMU roster and see four players from California. Can you see how it could help increase the league's visibility? You hockey in California is growing by leaps & bounds.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      I don't know. We've had 3 series with BGSU in the nWCHA, and all 3 were splits, with 3 of the games going to overtime. That's at least the start of a pretty decent rivalry. Maybe we should swap rivals with UAH.
                      A better term than "rival" would be geographic partner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                        How many recruits are we really going to get from the West coast from playing ASU? I can't imagine top California players will spend their Friday and Saturday nights watching ASU hockey, eyes glued to the TV, elated about the possibility of spending 4 winters in Yooperland.
                        There are currently 4 Californians on the NMU roster. And I don't recall the last time there weren't any from California. Some must have been elated about that trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                          I would LOVE to see a UW-GB team. I'd honestly be a season ticket holder just to support hockey in the area
                          It's not going to happen at UWGB, but there was a proposal there several years back that was actually coming along well, but a new President scuttled those plans. Scheduling at the Resch would also be difficult with the Gamblers and UWGB Basketball. The Cornerstone has under 1700 seats with a max of 2000 including standing room. The Crookston Sports Center only seats 1200.

Comment

It's not going to happen at UWGB, but there was a proposal there several years back that was actually coming along well, but a new President scuttled those plans. Scheduling at the Resch would also be difficult with the Gamblers and UWGB Basketball. The Cornerstone has under 1700 seats with a max of 2000 including standing room. The Crookston Sports Center only seats 1200.
                            Its unfortunate that humankind no longer has the ability to build ice arenas.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Its unfortunate that humankind no longer has the ability to build ice arenas.
                              The knowledge and skill are there. But then there's funding. The issue isn't even on the table at UWGB.

Comment

The knowledge and skill are there. But then there's funding. The issue isn't even on the table at UWGB.
                                Then the desire isn't there. It has nothing to do with the Resch Center, it is because UWGB is not interested.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X