Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Or better yet, make everyone skate on Olympic ice. Three thousand extra square feet of skating room.
    Hopefully better refs are cheaper than that.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Refs will never get the benefit of the doubt from fans because we see the game in replay in addition to real time, but as a player and a fan, there is nothing worse that a ref not know the rules or knowing how to apply them during game play.

In my local NO-CHECK league last week, a player got cross checked into the boards head-first, from about two feet away. One of the most dangerous plays in hockey, and certainly unacceptable in any form, especially when it's a NO-CHECK league. After about 60 seconds to get his bearings, the player was fortunately able to get up and skate way from the incident. The ref's call on the ice... 2 minutes for roughing. When I asked how that wasn't a 5-min major and a game (it was also the player's third penalty of the game in a league where most players might get one or two penalties in a season) the ref replied, "How can I give him five? Your guy didn't even get injured..." I made some smart comment like "Well, you tell the scorekeeper it's five and send him to the lockerroom..." The ref didn't really find it to be funny. True to form, the very same player exited the penalty box after their two minutes and promptly started a brawl in front of the net at the next whistle... Too bad there were NHL scouts in the stands that night.

In the game vs U-Conn this past weekend, in the second period, the refs were still trying to figure out who was the home team for the purposes of who had last change. There were multiple conversations with the Tech bench about this. How do you not know that before the game?

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Refs will never get the benefit of the doubt from fans because we see the game in replay in addition to real time, but as a player and a fan, there is nothing worse that a ref not know the rules or knowing how to apply them during game play.

In my local NO-CHECK league last week, a player got cross checked into the boards head-first, from about two feet away. One of the most dangerous plays in hockey, and certainly unacceptable in any form, especially when it's a NO-CHECK league. After about 60 seconds to get his bearings, the player was fortunately able to get up and skate way from the incident. The ref's call on the ice... 2 minutes for roughing. When I asked how that wasn't a 5-min major and a game (it was also the player's third penalty of the game in a league where most players might get one or two penalties in a season) the ref replied, "How can I give him five? Your guy didn't even get injured..." I made some smart comment like "Well, you tell the scorekeeper it's five and send him to the lockerroom..." The ref didn't really find it to be funny. True to form, the very same player exited the penalty box after their two minutes and promptly started a brawl in front of the net at the next whistle... Too bad there were NHL scouts in the stands that night.

In the game vs U-Conn this past weekend, in the second period, the refs were still trying to figure out who was the home team for the purposes of who had last change. There were multiple conversations with the Tech bench about this. How do you not know that before the game?

Ryan J
        to be fair those guys in Arizona aren't normally NCAA d1 hockey refs, they're local to Arizona, didn't do a ton of research but they appeared to be out of their comfort zone based on experience.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          to be fair those guys in Arizona aren't normally NCAA d1 hockey refs, they're local to Arizona, didn't do a ton of research but they appeared to be out of their comfort zone based on experience.
          Not specific to Arizona refs, but I don't think there's a team in the conference that hasn't gotten jobbed by the officials at least once this year. I'm still torqued about the screw job we got against Bemidji a couple weeks ago. It seems to be worse than normal, and the clutch-and-grab strategies aren't helping the overall quality of play.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Even when the refs have replay, they aren't getting calls right. Look at the goal BG had waived off Saturday night. BG player standing OUTSIDE the crease. Goalie drops to the butterfly and makes contact with the BG player. Refs review and say no goal due to "goaltender interference." Contact was outside the crease and initiated by the goaltender. How do you get that wrong?

Comment

The CCHA (Well, all of the NCAA) tried to crack down on obstruction in the early 2000's. Lots of "Obstruction-Holding," "Obstruction-Interference," "Obstruction-Contact to the Head;" and the rare, but personal favorite, call: "Obstruction-Obstruction."
              Although the Obstruction-Obstruction call was great, nothing beat the "Obstruction-Faceoff Interference Contact to the Head Tripping" call made against Santos. CCHA 2004-2005: OBSTRUCTION!!!
              Bored kids+matches+vacant school= this http://dakleinbushteacher.shutterfly.com/438

Head half shaven for a week=Free
              NMU Vs. BGSU Tickets=Free
              Bottle of 5 o'clock-$8
              Shaving your head everytime Sigalet lets in a WILDCAT goal and having MOJO chant HALF-A-MULLET=Priceless

"Pat Bateman will eat your f*ing babies!!!"

05-06 A NEW GENERATION OF PUCKHEADS

Farmer JO official get away driver of Bell-Gate 05`

Comment

Does anyone know why the WCHA decided to switch to home team dark jerseys mid season? I'm sure there will be questions from people around me tonight at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                  Does anyone know why the WCHA decided to switch to home team dark jerseys mid season? I'm sure there will be questions from people around me tonight at the game.
                  Taken from the WCHA Website "Color Change: The WCHA is instituting a new uniform policy for all conference games during the second half of the 2015-16 season, one which mirrors the common practice of the National Hockey League. Beginning this weekend when Alaska hosts Bemidji State, the home team will wear dark sweaters and the visiting team will wear light-colored uniforms for all WCHA contests. A WCHA institution can wear either dark or light uniforms when hosting nonconference contests"

No idea why they had to make the switch at the mid-season mark though.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy in Section 111 View Post
                    Taken from the WCHA Website "Color Change: The WCHA is instituting a new uniform policy for all conference games during the second half of the 2015-16 season, one which mirrors the common practice of the National Hockey League. Beginning this weekend when Alaska hosts Bemidji State, the home team will wear dark sweaters and the visiting team will wear light-colored uniforms for all WCHA contests. A WCHA institution can wear either dark or light uniforms when hosting nonconference contests"

No idea why they had to make the switch at the mid-season mark though.
                    Gives each team a chance to wear each of their jerseys as home sweaters for at least part of the year. Helps out in the sales department in the pro shop if the team is wearing that color on the ice that night, too.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Gives each team a chance to wear each of their jerseys as home sweaters for at least part of the year. Helps out in the sales department in the pro shop if the team is wearing that color on the ice that night, too.
                      Would be nice for NMU if they actually had a merchandise agreement in place to sell said jerseys.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The color change has nothing to do with reasoning and everything to do with trying to be the college version of the NHL. Personally, I'm going to miss the whites at home. I like watching the other schools wear their colors so there's variety every week; now I'm going to watch brown vs white EVERY game.
                        BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                          The color change has nothing to do with reasoning and everything to do with trying to be the college version of the NHL. Personally, I'm going to miss the whites at home. I like watching the other schools wear their colors so there's variety every week; now I'm going to watch brown vs white EVERY game.
                          BG only has one set of brown jerseys. You will see brown one night and orange the other. BG rarely wears the same jerseys two nights in a row at home.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                            BG only has one set of brown jerseys. You will see brown one night and orange the other. BG rarely wears the same jerseys two nights in a row at home.
                            I assumed the orange ones were considered light colored only, but I guess that's possible.
                            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Would be nice for NMU if they actually had a merchandise agreement in place to sell said jerseys.
                              Your sweaters are ugly as sin, who'd ever want to buy one anyway.
                              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                                Your sweaters are ugly as sin, who'd ever want to buy one anyway.
                                Says the pot to the kettle.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X