Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    And I’ll say it again, I’m a real fan of only 8 teams making the tournament. I hope that doesn’t change, even if the Nooks end up being left out. Every weekend means something. The home stretch of the WCHA is pretty “dank” (I'm old enough that I had to look it up in an urban dictionary – thanks jj). Groovy just didn’t sound right.
    Hey, you're welcome!

For UAA I agree with people here and foresee struggles ahead.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: WCHA 2015-16: So here's what we think that we know...

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Wait, SIX players left the team in the off season?
      I believe it was more a case of being asked not to return by the new coach.

Comment

BGSU (easiest schedule of the top tier gets them the pre-season nod)
        MSU (They lost some big pieces and they need a bounceback year from Huggins, but the evidence suggests they're still a top tier team. Also have an easier schedule than MTU)
        MTU (Lost the entire top line, but have the forward depth to replace at least some of it; retained what should be a Top 10 defense and goalie)

BSU (Still have Bitzer; need scoring - could slide up or down a tier)

NMU (Dahlstrom + Maschmeyer + a large crop of freshman forwards that Walt Kyle will squeeze every last drop of blood out of puts them in the top half)
        UAF (They lost Parayko and 1/3 of their offense; goaltending is a question mark)
        FSU (no more Motte and no evidence of a second coming, nor any consistent scorers, is a bad sign for the Bulldogs)

UAH (They are close to moving up a tier; it may happen if Ferris or UAF are especially bad)
        LSSU (Giant freshman class; another year of Whitten cleaning house likely means another year outside the playoffs)
        UAA (I got nothin')

Comment

I want to make a correction to UAH. James Block is still on UAH's roster, and Bryan Siersma simply switched sports to lacrosse. I know that the school's hope as we start lax is that we'll tap into a burgeoning prep scene here, and having a local kid doing that really should help.

I hadn't thought to do a scheduling analysis. I have to find time to do that ... maybe I want the insomnia back for data entry.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

So, which one of you read this thread and wrote this?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/09/ma...aa-tournament/
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              So, which one of you read this thread and wrote this?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/09/ma...aa-tournament/
              Written by a Minnesota State grad which explains the MSU homer feel to it. Yes, BG has Schilling and Bednard coming in and they should be good, but the freshman that will likely make the biggest impact will be Stephen Baylis.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                Written by a Minnesota State grad which explains the MSU homer feel to it. Yes, BG has Schilling and Bednard coming in and they should be good, but the freshman that will likely make the biggest impact will be Stephen Baylis.
                this.
                Baylis is a beast, even with reported 6-game suspension.
                Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I'm willing to bet that Lake state will open some eyes this year and upset a few people. I think Ferris will have some good, under the radar freshmen, but it might take them some time to gel. I still have UAH in last, even below Anchorage.
                  Also a few notes regarding the article. I agree two or maybe three get in. The non con schedule is more important than ever, and especially if you lose to a non con team with a losing record,( I'm looking at you NMU vs Wisconsin, or Tech vs UCONN, or BGSU vs OSU) it will be tough to overcome that.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I'm willing to bet that Lake state will open some eyes this year and upset a few people.
                    I think Lake State will be a little better this year, but I think "opening some eyes" is still a year away, possibly two. Damon Whitten still has A LOT of work to do.
                    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I'm willing to bet that Lake state will open some eyes this year and upset a few people. I think Ferris will have some good, under the radar freshmen, but it might take them some time to gel. I still have UAH in last, even below Anchorage.
                      Also a few notes regarding the article. I agree two or maybe three get in. The non con schedule is more important than ever, and especially if you lose to a non con team with a losing record,( I'm looking at you NMU vs Wisconsin, or Tech vs UCONN, or BGSU vs OSU) it will be tough to overcome that.
                      UAF plays at Wisconsin in January, too.

Us and UAA play St. Cloud to open the season; that will be important as well.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

I still have UAH in last, even below Anchorage.
                        Okay, you can doubt us if you want, but 1) we didn't pick up stride until halfway through the season and still made the playoffs 2) CARMINE GUERRIERO (a Tech fan should know this) 3) it's probably Carmine's last season, so he's going to be looking to impress the scouts 4) we lost next to nothing offensively while getting some guys in from juniors that can perform. Note that our freshmen, like most, got better and productive as the season went on, especially because our minimal depth got them plenty of ice. This is our second full class of guys recruited by this staff against the WCHA, and our third overall after the program's demise was no longer imminent.

Doubt us if you will, though.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          Wait, SIX players left the team in the off season?
                          I think that might be enough to swing UAA over at least LSSU. If our coach is good, we will bounce back up to around .500. That would be following the trend of recent coaching success stories (MTU, and somebody else that escapes me right now). Our starting goalie got better and the season progressed and kept us in games, if he has a super sophomore year instead of teams figuring him out we should be around .400. We brought in a lot of guys this off-season, and if one or two mesh well with NCAA hockey our PP and PK will pick up.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            I think that might be enough to swing UAA over at least LSSU. If our coach is good, we will bounce back up to around .500. That would be following the trend of recent coaching success stories (MTU, and somebody else that escapes me right now). Our starting goalie got better and the season progressed and kept us in games, if he has a super sophomore year instead of teams figuring him out we should be around .400. We brought in a lot of guys this off-season, and if one or two mesh well with NCAA hockey our PP and PK will pick up.
                            If Mantha hits a sophomore slump you guys are in for a bumpy ride...dude put up some fantastic save numbers but still let in about 3 per game because he didn't have much help in front of him. Unless the defense shows a lot of improvement there's going to be a lot of pressure on the kid.

Comment

1 Bowling Green
                              2 Tech
                              3 Minnesota St
                              4 NMU
                              5 Bemidji
                              6 UAF
                              7 Ferris
                              8 UAH
                              9 UAA
                              10 LSSU

Comment

1. Tech
                                2. Mn State
                                3. BSU
                                4. BG
                                5. Ferris
                                6. Alaska F
                                7.NMU
                                8. Alaska A
                                9. LSSU
                                10. Huntsville

Roo from BSU is the player I am excited to see this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X