Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Sad to see Kelly and Thompson go turncoat. Remember that come election time.
    Remember in November needs to be a rallying cry.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
      April 14, 2016.
      By a vote of 5-1 the conference committee puts forward a $50 million cut to the University of Alaska. It's the worst-case scenario for UA.
      Yeas: Kelly, MacKinnon, Hoffman, Thompson, Nueman.
      Noes: Gara
      So what does this mean for those of us not familiar with alaska politics?
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
        So what does this mean for those of us not familiar with alaska politics?
        Basically that UA has lost most of its political capital thanks in large part to right wing Republican politics. Until fairly recently, Alaska used to have pretty good bipartisanship at the state level. That's gone out the window in recent years.

This one is going to hurt, and what's worse is you know another cut is coming next year unless there is some major turnover in the legislature.

As for Athletics...UAA has some room to cut sports and still exist. UAF doesn't, as we are already at the 10 sport minimum. My worst fear is UAA gets hacked back to 10 sports and UAF athletics ceases to exist because there's nothing left to cut. I don't think it'll come to that, but like I said that's my worst fear. I *think* there's enough support for Nanook athletics at the UAF administration that they'll figure out a way to keep Athletics, but we are also dealing with probably unprecedented budget issues...a number of people I've talked to who were at the U in the 80's fiscal crisis say the state government is treating UA far worse than it did in those days.
        Last edited by Squarebanks; 04-15-2016, 01:18 PM.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

State funding is reduced from $350m to $300m, or about 15%. Plus absorb any wage and benefit increases, including a possible % increase to the employers required contribution to the retirement system.

Estimated loss of about 400-500 jobs statewide, mostly Fairbanks & Anchorage.

Loss of academic programs and possibly athletic programs.

Tuition increases of 15%. Since most research grants have a matching component, could also see a loss in research funding.

There’s still a chance funding could be adjusted in final budget deliberations, with the legislature session scheduled to end this Sunday. Don’t be surprised if passing the lowest funding level possible out of committee was not just a bargaining chip for the majority’s last minute budget shenanigans.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Don’t be surprised if passing the lowest funding level possible out of committee was not just a bargaining chip for the majority’s last minute budget shenanigans.
            This is an important point. R's need the D's to tap the budget reserve, and putting more money back to UA in exchange for yes votes from the D's could happen.

That said, I'm ready for the worst.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              State funding is reduced from $350m to $300m, or about 15%. Plus absorb any wage and benefit increases, including a possible % increase to the employers required contribution to the retirement system.

Estimated loss of about 400-500 jobs statewide, mostly Fairbanks & Anchorage.

Loss of academic programs and possibly athletic programs.

Tuition increases of 15%. Since most research grants have a matching component, could also see a loss in research funding.

There’s still a chance funding could be adjusted in final budget deliberations, with the legislature session scheduled to end this Sunday. Don’t be surprised if passing the lowest funding level possible out of committee was not just a bargaining chip for the majority’s last minute budget shenanigans.
              Time for a lemonade stand.

How many of the suits are losing their jobs?
              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Peter Krieger transferring to Duluth?

Well, bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

Well, bye.
                  I assume he will have to sit a year before playing. If true, that hurts. He was an impressive player for ya'll.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    I assume he will have to sit a year before playing. If true, that hurts. He was an impressive player for ya'll.
                    Yeah, it sucks. Is what it is though. I think people are getting freaked out with the budget situation. There was an article in the News Miner a couple days ago about the theoretical effects of cutting various sports at UAF. Interesting read.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks. Is what it is though. I think people are getting freaked out with the budget situation. There was an article in the News Miner a couple days ago about the theoretical effects of cutting various sports at UAF. Interesting read.
                      Yeah, I read it. I also read that some are concerned about the loss of revenue from the rental of the Carlson Center if hockey is cut, which amounts to $200,000 to $300,000 each year. Maybe they should consider giving UAF a break on the price they charge. It's nearly as bad to rent the Sully for UAA games.

This was the first I have heard about the waiver ... but the WCHA would have to agree to it as well, sounds like.
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                        Yeah, I read it. I also read that some are concerned about the loss of revenue from the rental of the Carlson Center if hockey is cut, which amounts to $200,000 to $300,000 each year. Maybe they should consider giving UAF a break on the price they charge. It's nearly as bad to rent the Sully for UAA games.

This was the first I have heard about the waiver ... but the WCHA would have to agree to it as well, sounds like.
                        You would think the Borough would be smarter about the Carlson Center fees. It doesn't matter if you're the only game in town if your primary tenant takes its ball (or puck, in this case) back to campus. The Patty Center is far from ideal right now but with a few upgrades it could actually be a decent solution.

I don't know why the WCHA would have any issues with a waiver. As much as some people gripe about the travel to FAI and ANC, everything I hear is that nobody wants either Alaska program to go away.

The whole athletics situation just stinks, for both UAF and UAA. Cutting programs does nothing in the long run to fix the budget mess, but it does placate a very vocal minority.

I flew back from Portland last night, and PDX has a small display on former Governor Atiyeh, who was governor when Oregon's timber industry (and economy) collapsed in the 80's. Part of the display is a quote from him..."I've cut enough. We're past the fat and into the muscle and bone. We have to start generating revenue". Part of his solution was to invest in OSU and UO as economic drivers. Wouldn't it be something to have some people in Juneau smart enough to say the same thing.
                        Last edited by Squarebanks; 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post

You would think the Sully/SMG is starting feeling the sting of losing events to the Alaska Airlines Center, i.e. Shootout, high school basketball championships, home show, NYO?, etc.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            You would think the Sully/SMG is starting feeling the sting of losing events to the Alaska Airlines Center, i.e. Shootout, high school basketball championships, home show, NYO?, etc.
                            Alaska Airlines Center is a beautiful facility. But it's too big for its anchor tenants (UAA basketball and volleyball), doesn't have ice, and it's too small to attract bigger concerts and events on a regular basis. Anchorage is going to need a 10,000-15,000 seat building to start attracting some higher profile events on a regular basis.

Comment

Well, bye.
                              Well, hello.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                Well, hello.
                                Gets out of town when the going gets tough? That's all I need to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X