Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Thoughts on the first half:
    1. Our game intensity was often lacking the first half, but against UAA they clearly picked it back up a notch for most of the series (except for the 1st period Saturday night). We are not skilled enough to win on talent, so we need to move our feet and skate hard the whole game. Hope that is the second half mind-set.
    2. Special teams were embarrassingly pitiful the first half. Whether it is the system we play or the execution, something has to change. Having the most penalty minutes in the conference and the poorest PK (by a wide margin) is not a good combination.
    3. Jenks is solid.
    4. We tend to hold the puck a bit too long, especially in traffic, and pass up quality shots for that extra pass that seldom makes connection. Get it on net. We have trouble enough with stick to stick open ice passes.
    5. Until the UAA series, we usually lost the face-off battle. An important stat that needs attention.
    6. Amazed how many times we cleanly get a stick on the puck during a PK but fail to clear it. Refer to PK percentage for the implications of this.
    7. Looking ahead I don’t see any USHL recruits. Didn’t have any this year either. Don’t mind a good mix from different systems, but no USCHL recruits does not seem to bode well.
    8. UAA sucks!
    Koberstein is a USHL guy, unless you're talking about players signing in the last year.

USHL has never been a big recruiting point for us...the best player I can recall coming from the USHL to us was Taranto. I think Alberta and BC, with a smattering of Alaska, is going to continue to be our sweet spot for players for as long as Dallas is in charge. Parayko and Kunyk were AJHL guys, and Morley is a BCHL guy, just as a point of reference.

It's always been unfortunate we don't get more Alaskans to stay home, but there are three unfortunate things working against us:

1. Having the WHL between us and the rest of the NCAA is a problem. The top shelf talent can play closer to home and still be in a league that historically feeds more players to the NHL.
    2. The bigger name brand programs can poach Alaska kids playing in juniors in the Midwest pretty easily.
    3. Per Doyle Woody, there are currently 75 Alaska kids in college hockey (men and women, D1 and D3). There's just not enough Alaska-grown talent around to support two D1 programs in the state and still allow for poaching by the WHL and bigger Midwest schools.

Fortunately, our existing staff has done a nice job finding under the radar guys and developing them.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2015-16 Season Thread - Straight Outta Sanction…

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Koberstein is a USHL guy...
      You’re right on Koberstein. I looked back too far to his AJHL days.

The USHL hasn’t been our most productive recruiting ground, but we have had more success in the last few years. Right now I believe Keenly, Peterson, Erickson, Woods, Vieth, Krieger, Frye, and Koberstein are all USHL guys.

I also believe the BCHL and AJHL will remain our bread and butter, but I wouldn’t want to see our USHL pool dry up. But I’m just looking at a two year window which doesn’t really mean much. Things are what they are. Like you, I believe we do a pretty good job at recruiting. We are a good fit for a lot of BCHL and AJHL kids.

Hockey players are not much different than other college age kids. If you have grown up in Alaska, given the opportunity, there is a tendency to try greener pastures. Totally understandable and not a bad thing. Many return. If staying in state is the best fit, good for UAF and UAA. If not, that’s OK. Don’t understand folks who get made at home grown talent for leaving. There is a thing called life out there. Go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
        You’re right on Koberstein. I looked back too far to his AJHL days.

The USHL hasn’t been our most productive recruiting ground, but we have had more success in the last few years. Right now I believe Keenly, Peterson, Erickson, Woods, Vieth, Krieger, Frye, and Koberstein are all USHL guys.

I also believe the BCHL and AJHL will remain our bread and butter, but I wouldn’t want to see our USHL pool dry up. But I’m just looking at a two year window which doesn’t really mean much. Things are what they are. Like you, I believe we do a pretty good job at recruiting. We are a good fit for a lot of BCHL and AJHL kids.

Hockey players are not much different than other college age kids. If you have grown up in Alaska, given the opportunity, there is a tendency to try greener pastures. Totally understandable and not a bad thing. Many return. If staying in state is the best fit, good for UAF and UAA. If not, that’s OK. Don’t understand folks who get made at home grown talent for leaving. There is a thing called life out there. Go for it.
        I agree, and I wasn't meaning to demean our USHL efforts. From my recollection Taranto was our first big "get" from the USHL, and if I remember right he was recruited by other bigger programs (North Dakota comes to mind) but came to us because he could be a top line guy right away.

That said, we have seen a small shift to more USHL players coming up, and hopefully that trend continues. Nothing against the NAHL but the USHL typically houses better prospects. We've had some success at putting our under-the-radar guys into pro deals (Parayko, Kunyk, Chad Johnson, Scott Greenham are a few that come to mind) and over time I think recruits notice that. And specific to the USHL, getting those players you've talked about has really helped with our overall depth.

I think back to 2010 and that game against Boston College...they had about three lines that were all equivalent to our top line (basically Taranto and Knelson) and we just didn't have the depth to skate with them for 60 minutes. Since that time I think our staff has done a good job at making our team deeper, and a direct result of that has been the second half standings surge each of the last three seasons. It's easy to forget how close this team has been to getting back to Regionals the last few years...the last year of the CCHA it was a bonehead Kendall Classic loss to Canisius that kept us just outside the bubble. 2014 was two unfortunately timed injuries to Tyler Morley and Trevor Campbell in the Governor's Cup combined with UAA playing out of their **** mind in the playoff series, and I think we could have gotten in last year if it wasn't for that other thing going on. Time will shortly tell if it happens again this year, but right now we just seem greener than the past few years.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Per Woody's synopsis I count 17 Alaskans in D1 men's hockey, of which 7 play for UAF or UAA. A 40% retention rate of in-state players actually seems higher than it has been in the past.

I'd be curious how many Alaskans are playing major junior in the WHL or other Canadian leagues.

Either way it shows there isn't an abundance of D1 talent coming out of Alaska. If you figure there is a ballpark number of 1500 kids playing D1 hockey (60 teams with 25 on each roster, which is a rough estimate but allows a reasonably accurate round number) roughly 1% are Alaskans.
          Last edited by Squarebanks; 12-16-2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Should be a pretty good series for 8th & 9th place teams. Neither thinks they belong there. Both teams are in a desperate position. The Nooks can’t afford to come out playing with anything less than a playoff hockey mentality. Can’t afford the sloppy and lackluster style of play that plagued them much of the first half. Turn it around boys.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Media previews for the weekend:

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_...f00cb3ec5.html

KTVF: http://webcenter11.com/story/nanooks...gainst-beavers

UAF Athletics: http://www.alaskananooks.com/news/20...101164615.aspx

Bemidji Pioneer: http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sports...anks-anchorage

Bemidji State Athletics: http://www.bsubeavers.com/mhockey/ne...kan-road-trip/

Comment

I hope the team is up to the challenge to turn things around in the second half. Given that we have average talent, we have to out work teams and get good goaltending to win. And that just didn’t happen consistently the first half.

Settling in with our freshman goaltender may help. Jr goaltender Davis Jones (2-7-0) rightfully got most the starts early in the first half, but did not really get the job done. Some of that was our team defense and poor special teams play, but nonetheless, a 3.47 gaa and .887 Sv% over nine games doesn’t cut it. Fr goaltender Jesse Jenks seems to have taken over the starting role and has looked pretty solid (3-3-3) with a 1.95 gaa and .936 Sv% over nine games.

Team chemistry and work effort is more problematic. Hard to tell what’s going on. From a fan’s perspective there’s just seems to be a lack of gritty determination. Hopefully the first Gov Cup series helped bring this team together. They’ve got their work cut out for them in the second half.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Jenks is pretty cemented as the starter at this point. Nanooks defense settling in with him too, which is nice to see confidence in a rookie goaltender.

Nanooks biggest issue is offense. Haven't scored more than 2 goals in a game since the second game against Ferris, which was a 3-3 tie. Special teams still a concern, but we can make them less impactful improving 5 on 5 play.
                  Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Jeezus. Can we ship these refs out on the redeye tonight? Should have been 5-4 final, Nanooks.

Comment

UAF vs BSU, Jan 2, 2016 – Clutching defeat from the jaws victory…

Some random shots from last night’s disheartening OT 6-5 loss to Bemidji State. The last photo is the OT goal by BSU with 7 seconds left in OT.

Comment

Jeezus. Can we ship these refs out on the redeye tonight? Should have been 5-4 final, Nanooks.
                        Did you have any luck getting them on the redeye?
                        Perhaps you didn't agree with the hooking call?
                        Same call tonight and maybe they have to sneak out of town?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayfarnorth View Post
                          Did you have any luck getting them on the redeye?
                          Perhaps you didn't agree with the hooking call?
                          Same call tonight and maybe they have to sneak out of town?
                          BSU appeared to have a guy in the crease on their 5th goal. It was from a perfect performance but the Nooks had that game won.
                          Last edited by Squarebanks; 01-03-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

BSU appeared to have a guy in the crease on their 5th goal. It was from a perfect performance but the Nooks had that game won.
                            No way, totally disagree with you on the game winning goal - not in the crease. However, I do think UA_ got screwed on their disallowed goal. The ref put his arm up as soon as the puck was stripped from the Bemidji player, therefore he immediately waved off the goal. I sure didn't see any hook there, it looked like he stole the puck cleanly. But the ref saw it from a different angle than those watching on TV.

I wonder if the refs were the same bozo's who screwed UAA over when they played Mankato. Both of those refs were from Minnesota. Either way, a heartbreaking loss for UA_. Two really late goals by the Beavers and a good goal waved off for the Nanooks. I bet UA_ wins today.
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              No way, totally disagree with you on the game winning goal - not in the crease. However, I do think UA_ got screwed on their disallowed goal. The ref put his arm up as soon as the puck was stripped from the Bemidji player, therefore he immediately waved off the goal. I sure didn't see any hook there, it looked like he stole the puck cleanly. But the ref saw it from a different angle than those watching on TV.

I wonder if the refs were the same bozo's who screwed UAA over when they played Mankato. Both of those refs were from Minnesota. Either way, a heartbreaking loss for UA_. Two really late goals by the Beavers and a good goal waved off for the Nanooks. I bet UA_ wins today.
                              The 5th goal would be the game tying goal at the end of regulation. The game winning goal was Jenks not covering up the puck before Fitzgerald put it in the net.

Comment

We had an easy chance to clear the puck with 15 seconds left and failed to do so. Then we kind of quit playing with seven seconds left in the game. We choked.

I’m no ref, but I thought Krieger’s move was more of a stick lift and strip instead of a hook. But back to the man in the crease question on BSU's goal #5 (not the OT goal). Again, I am no ref but here is a five frame series goal #5.

Comment

Working...
                                X