Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    ...but the towelheads...

Comment

• Re: US Foreign Policy: The Wogs Begin at Calais

Oops.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...mepage%2Fstory
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Vote for Canada's national bird.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/o...phic-1.3768758

I will submit that the Canadian goose should be disqualified. There's more of those $^// birds in this country than Canada. And their feces! ****!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Vote for Canada's national bird.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/o...phic-1.3768758

I will submit that the Canadian goose should be disqualified. There's more of those $^// birds in this country than Canada. And their feces! ****!
          Yeah, it's bad. We tried power washing it off our sidewalk at work and the guy needed to crank it up to 11 for the sludge to move. I've also heard it's got an acid content similar to Alien blood.

I vote for the snowy owl. That is one pretty bird.
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Brexit? What about a USexit?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-says-u-n-pane

What good is the UN anyway? It is a parody of its original vision.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I've also heard it's got an acid content similar to Alien blood.

I vote for the snowy owl. That is one pretty bird.
              Goose crap ate right through the clear coat on the trunk deck of a car that was at an airport for a week. I had to have the trunk deck taken off and repainted.

I vote snowy owl also. I've seen a couple in the wild. The best was sitting on top of a power pole on a snow flurries day. I don't know how I saw it (it probably moved) but it was just a phantom up there because it perfectly blended with the snow and grey sky.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Two little Hitlers will fight it out until
                One little Hitler does the other one's will
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The sun never sets on the US Dollar.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

All Hail King Zog!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/~/article-3828417/index.html
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Albania, Albania,
                      It borders on the Adriatic!
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I don't know that its a surprise that there's a near cold war back underway. But capitalism won...so it won't be fought on ideology. It will be fought on dictatorships vs. democracies.

Since the seizing of power by Putin and the failure of the Arab spring, dictatorships have been gaining steam. The recipe is simple. Weak democracies that are struggling due to corruption elect a strong leader. That leader slowly collect power and eventually starts to take away freedoms. Its the Hitler model that was followed by Putin...now in Turkey and the Philippines. And due to sensationalized changes to media...folks have become desensitized to extreme rhetoric. So dictatorships are more emboldened. Whereas bad actors like Stalin were diplomatically cordial but untrustworthy, Putin, Kim threaten nuclear war...and so bizarre is the situation where the stock markets go up.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          I don't know that its a surprise that there's a near cold war back underway. But capitalism won...so it won't be fought on ideology. It will be fought on dictatorships vs. democracies.
                          Hmm... it seems to me that capitalism has lost in the US to the regulatory state. We don't have free market capitalism here any more, we are "ruled" more by a corporate oligarchy:
                          -- large corporations like big government because the barriers to entry stifle potential start-up competitors
                          -- big government likes large corporations because they are so compliant, so easy to find, so easy to do business with
                          -- so government officials and corporate executives both live large, secure in their wealth and power, while the rest of us post laments on internet message boards....

I am reminded of one of those "future dystopia" movies, the original Rollerball: eventually, civil government collapsed because of too much corruption, and so the task of maintaining law and order fell to mega-corporations instead (some subtle social commentary, the first contest was between Houston and Madrid and so the scoreboard read "Hou Mad"). Ordinary people were given diversions to distract them into superficiality (another selfie, anyone? maybe we can post it on Facebook!) so no one really minded too much as long as they were fed, housed, and entertained.

and how much of a "democracy" we have left also is open to question: more and more "governing" occurs within regulatory agencies who ignore Congress and the Courts with little consequence. Who needs democracy anyway, as long as "your" guy/gal has a telephone and a pen?
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            I am reminded of one of those "future dystopia" movies,
                            "they're eating people!!!"
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Hmm... it seems to me that capitalism has lost in the US to the regulatory state. We don't have free market capitalism here any more, we are "ruled" more by a corporate oligarchy:
                              -- large corporations like big government because the barriers to entry stifle potential start-up competitors
                              -- big government likes large corporations because they are so compliant, so easy to find, so easy to do business with
                              -- so government officials and corporate executives both live large, secure in their wealth and power, while the rest of us post laments on internet message boards....

I am reminded of one of those "future dystopia" movies, the original Rollerball: eventually, civil government collapsed because of too much corruption, and so the task of maintaining law and order fell to mega-corporations instead (some subtle social commentary, the first contest was between Houston and Madrid and so the scoreboard read "Hou Mad"). Ordinary people were given diversions to distract them into superficiality (another selfie, anyone? maybe we can post it on Facebook!) so no one really minded too much as long as they were fed, housed, and entertained.

and how much of a "democracy" we have left also is open to question: more and more "governing" occurs within regulatory agencies who ignore Congress and the Courts with little consequence. Who needs democracy anyway, as long as "your" guy/gal has a telephone and a pen?
                              I'd beg to differ with most of that (although if you live in W VA, you might have that perspective). Growth in start up activity is sky high. Go to any co working or collaborative working outfit which are taking off all around the country. You'll see tons of entrepreneurs many of them extremely successful. The nature of small businesses and particularly successful small businesses has changed. These days they are ecommerce related. Go to silicon valley or check out the hundreds of projects on kickstarter.com. In fact of those companies that don't make it...the top reasons are always incompetence, lack of planning or not understanding the marketplace.

The challenges coming from large business is not that they're too regulated (I have consulted for quite a few). Its due to collusion in select industries. You go shopping for an airline ticket or to buy a hand towel online or in a store and you'll get a highly price competitive market that forces down prices back into the value chain (I.e., manufacturing). But industries like energy and health care have no transparent pricing. In the case of health care, murky pricing options take away the ability to shop price and result in a lack of supply/demand pressure...that would enforce better value further back into the health care value chain (that is to say why we have expensive medication). This is not caused by regulation, but by the inability of society to enforce a free transparent market into a number of industries. There's still this type of corruption, but capitalism has won and that's why global GDP continues to go up.

Edit: Moved.
                              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                capitalism has won and that's why global GDP continues to go up.
                                To the extent the free market expands, all boats rise. Capitalism without oversight tends naturally to corruption and rent seeking.

Building a better mousetrap (the free market) is good. Living off the compound interest of your great-grandfather's better mousetrap while erecting barriers to entry in the mousetrap industry to protect your rice bowl (capitalism) is bad. Capturing regulatory instruments and governments to maintain your obsolete corporate oligarchy while destroying all competitors (crony capitalism) is the worst.

America was great when it tended towards the former. It has sunk as it has become infected by the latter. A fumigation is needed.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X