This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

Picked up Home, The Lego Movie, and Big Hero 6 from Amazon. I saw parts of them at work, heard good things about all of them, and now I want to see the rest of them, especially the Lego Movie.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Well, I was more just talking about the feel and aesthetics of the actual decade, not its movies. Generally speaking, the decade reminds me of junior high school. I don't think anybody has good associations with that.
      Seriously, most decades style does not develop immediately at the turn of the decade. It's usually something like 3, or even five years in, before you really see the styles, trends and fashions that everyone comes to associate with that decade.

So the 60's ran a bit over in the 70's, probably till about '72-73. The 70's held on pretty strongly through the early 80's. I found my old college yearbooks online, and was looking through the senior portraits and such for old friends of mine and stuff. Now I graduated in 1983, but you really didn't see the typical '80's haircuts and clothes on people until about 1985 or even '86. And even then, mostly the girls and not the guys. Now granted, this was the backwoods of Maine, but there were enough kids there from the civilized states like Mass and NY.

But the kids from 1980-1983 looked just like the kids in my high school yearbooks from the late '70's.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Maybe, but this is the greatest spray hair in history, and it's the 80's.
        naw, this is the greatest spray hair in history.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8af5eae09c.jpg
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Seriously, most decades style does not develop immediately at the turn of the decade. It's usually something like 3, or even five years in, before you really see the styles, trends and fashions that everyone comes to associate with that decade.

So the 60's ran a bit over in the 70's, probably till about '72-73. The 70's held on pretty strongly through the early 80's. I found my old college yearbooks online, and was looking through the senior portraits and such for old friends of mine and stuff. Now I graduated in 1983, but you really didn't see the typical '80's haircuts and clothes on people until about 1985 or even '86. And even then, mostly the girls and not the guys. Now granted, this was the backwoods of Maine, but there were enough kids there from the civilized states like Mass and NY.

But the kids from 1980-1983 looked just like the kids in my high school yearbooks from the late '70's.
          The 90s changed pretty quick in style, thanks to the massive difference in hair rock and grunge styles, IMO.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Watching the Lego Movie. Well worth the $19.99 I spent on it.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              Watching the Lego Movie. Well worth the $19.99 I spent on it.
              It's brilliant all the way to the end. You will not be disappointed.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's brilliant all the way to the end. You will not be disappointed.
                It's AWESOME!
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Sleepy Hollow:

Eh, it was ok. A little out there for me with the supernatural and such, even if it was just a legend. Kind of overdid it.

Focus:

I like a good con-man movie, this bordered between good and "Oh Jesus, really? Come on, you can do better than that!" Worth a watch, but I've seen much better. It went a bit downhill starting with the cliched "xx years later" transition. A major fault in this genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    It's AWESOME!
                    Everything is awesome.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Movie Thread: Grab Some Popcorn, Enjoy The Show

I'll tell you something that's AWESOME!!! And I hope most of you are one step ahead of me and have already seen this movie, but tonight I watched Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. I can't believe I waited 57+ years to watch this film. Very good from start to finish. Inspiration for Lucas's Star Wars. Must see. Enjoy!

The life of man
                      Burn it with the fire
                      The life of an insect
                      Throw it into the fire
                      Ponder and you'll see
                      The world is dark
                      And this floating world
                      Is a dream.
                      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

A Walk in the Woods

Maybe a little overly reliant on the dirty old man jokes, but it was still a decent popcorn flick/coming-of-death story.

Comment

Spaceship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own The Lego Movie as well. But as a collector of Lego, I am disappointed in myself that I did not see it in theaters.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                            I'll tell you something that's AWESOME!!! And I hope most of you are one step ahead of me and have already seen this movie, but tonight I watched Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. I can't believe I waited 57+ years to watch this film. Very good from start to finish. Inspiration for Lucas's Star Wars. Must see. Enjoy!

The life of man
                            Burn it with the fire
                            The life of an insect
                            Throw it into the fire
                            Ponder and you'll see
                            The world is dark
                            And this floating world
                            Is a dream.
                            Akira pretty much rules. I have his box set "25 Films Of Akira Kurosawa" and it's well worth the price (although I did get it for a helluva bargain, about $250 during a sale).

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Akira pretty much rules. I have his box set "25 Films Of Akira Kurosawa" and it's well worth the price (although I did get it for a helluva bargain, about $250 during a sale).
                              Unfortunately, that box set is now Out Of Print. (I'm envious.) On Amazon it goes for $2499.00 New, $300.00 Used.
                              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                                Unfortunately, that box set is now Out Of Print. (I'm envious.) On Amazon it goes for $2499.00 New, $300.00 Used.
                                JESUS.

When I bought it, I had only seen a couple of his movies, and doing the math: buying those movies on their own vs the box set, the box set was worth the chance on the other movies. Glad I pulled the trigger on that one!

Comment

Working...
                                X