This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Good stuff Kep. For me an underrated band in that while they're often mentioned in lists maybe not as often as they should be.

Bloc Party - Helicopter. Is it dance, electronica, guitar rock? I don't know but I want to dance
    Len - Steal My Sunshine. One of my favorite one-hit wonders. Took me years to realize they weren't signing, "It's still my century".
    The Sundays - Wild Horses. This cover reminds me of homecoming senior year and might be the only thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary. The song that got me into the first summer fling I ever had
      Rarely has a video been simultaneously so 80s, and so 60s.

Comment

Ozzy - Diary of a Madman bonus disc

Concert from Bizzard of Oz Tour.

Don't listen to Ozzy more than a couple times a year, and it's almost always something live with Randy. Hard to explain why it brings me so much joy but I've had a big stupid grin on at my desk for the last 30 minutes.

So good...

Comment

Maybe coz it harkens back to a time when the term "rock 'n' roll" still meant something.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Black Sabbath 13 - best 'comeback' record ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Maybe coz it harkens back to a time when the term "rock 'n' roll" still meant something.
              I guarantee there are kick-as-s rock and roll groups out there right now. We don't hear about them because once you're past 25 you will never, by definition, know about anything good as it is happening.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I guarantee there are kick-as-s rock and roll groups out there right now. We don't hear about them because once you're past 25 you will never, by definition, know about anything good as it is happening.

I have an 18 year old who is as big a music fanatic as I am. You'd be surprised at how much current music I have heard because I usually give him the aux in the car as he's always excited to "show me something new that he's been listening to." And I'm happy to let him have it as I remember being that excited kid. He's turned me onto quite a few artists that I now like - and vice versa.

We also will hang out in the basement and just listen to stuff - while I work on the computer and he does homework or while we have a muted game on.

Music is one of our shared bonds.

Anyway, the point isn't just hard rock music. It's the place that music and the artists occupied in pop-culture or in our lives at the time.

Something "rock 'n' roll" died about the time MTV came along. And maybe it needed to die by that point or maybe it had run its course. Possibly? Probably?

Point is, artists like Sabbath, Pre-rehab Aerosmith, Ozzy solo, pre-1984 Van Halen, Zeppelin, pre-keyboard RUSH etc, etc ceased to exist at some point in terms of new blood and many of those artists got old and/or cheesed out.

In their place we got Bon Jovi, Poison, the Crue and any number of other pretenders – guys acting a part, mostly for money and ***** – not that there's anything wrong with that, but they were still pretenders.

Was Guns the last great ROCK band to come along?

I realize there are bands still making that kind of music, but they fail to occupy the same cultural relevance in society and in my life.

Listening to Ozzy takes me back to an era that simply no longer exists. Dark arenas and LOUD guitars. Drum solos. Groupies. Black concert t-shirts with imagery that would offend Grandma. I miss it in a fond way.

It's not just nostalgia though. Sabbath (sans Dio) and early Ozzy still holds up for me and Randy is still worth hearing after all these years.

Comment

Don't get me wrong either - I rode the MTV wave and got into all kinds of music.

Hard rock is a very small sliver of what makes up my musical taste.

But it's essential.

Comment

I have an 18 year old who is as big a music fanatic as I am. You'd be surprised at how much current music I have heard because I usually give him the aux in the car as he's always excited to "show me something new that he's been listening to." And I'm happy to let him have it as I remember being that excited kid. He's turned me onto quite a few artists that I now like - and vice versa.
                    My point is different. If we know about it, no matter how we came by our knowledge, it isn't interesting.

The music that will in retrospect define an era starts as youth rebellion. If it's the kind of thing that leaks out to us, it's not going to be what mattered.

3 years after its peak, music critics will find out about it as it's in its death throes. 5 years after the peak, music aficionados will find out about it as the bands that were influenced by it are starting to gel. 10 years after the peak, one of the songs by one of the groups will become a hipster trivia answer.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There are still good rock n' roll groups out there, but you have to find them and they won't rise to prominence the way they did few decades ago. It'll take something of a sea change for that to occur.

There's a band called My Goodness out of the Seattle area that I've been listening to for a couple years now. I like what they're recording, but don't expect to see them tour my way anytime soon.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Black Sabbath 13 - best 'comeback' record ever?

I'd have to give that some thought. Maybe...

Comment

Ugh... for some reason, that long post put the keyboard solo from Jump in my head on a loop.

Need to find something else to listen to - and fast!

After Ozzy, I did Scorpions World Wide Live - nowhere near as good but now the itch is sufficiently scratched.

Let's see...

Zeppelin BBC Sessions disc 2

Comment

Oh yeah and you lovers of alternative - check out Sticky Fingers.

Caress Your Soul
                            Land of Pleasure
                            Westways...

All 3 are outstanding albums by a great young band.

Which I turned my kid onto btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              My point is different. If we know about it, no matter how we came by our knowledge, it isn't interesting.

The music that will in retrospect define an era starts as youth rebellion. If it's the kind of thing that leaks out to us, it's not going to be what mattered.

3 years after its peak, music critics will find out about it as it's in its death throes. 5 years after the peak, music aficionados will find out about it as the bands that were influenced by it are starting to gel. 10 years after the peak, one of the songs by one of the groups will become a hipster trivia answer.

Valid.

Comment

Ozzy - Diary of a Madman bonus disc

Concert from Bizzard of Oz Tour.

Don't listen to Ozzy more than a couple times a year, and it's almost always something live with Randy. Hard to explain why it brings me so much joy but I've had a big stupid grin on at my desk for the last 30 minutes.

So good...
                                I find Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde are more my taste. Bark At The Moon. The Ultimate Sin. No Rest For The Wicked.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X