X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So far tonight, I've rolled through all of my STP (d@mn do I love "Wicked Garden") and Doors (self-titled debut and Strange Days) stuff.
    STP's Core has perhaps the best opening three tracks to open a CD from the 90s.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I've always considered "Dead and Bloated" to be a hilarious parody of the metal side of grunge (AIC, Soundgarden, TAD), but "Sex Type Thing" and "Wicked Garden" are very good. Also, "Where the River Goes" is very underrated.

As for the rest of their albums, that solo in "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" is downright groovy.

EDIT: And if we're debating the merits of the opening 3-4 tracks of 90s albums, I put in my vote for Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger. That was the album that cemented my man-crush on those guys.
      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-03-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I've always considered "Dead and Bloated" to be a hilarious parody of the metal side of grunge (AIC, Soundgarden, TAD), but "Sex Type Thing" and "Wicked Garden" are very good. Also, "Where the River Goes" is very underrated.

As for the rest of their albums, that solo in "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" is downright groovy.

EDIT: And if we're debating the merits of the opening 3-4 tracks of 90s albums, I put in my vote for Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger. That was the album that cemented my man-crush on those guys.
        Nah, "Dead & Bloated" was a strong song and a little edgy for the era, though it certain was the weakest of the three. Really, the sound was harder and the lyrics a little weird to open the track that it helped soften the reception for "Sex Type Thing," which had some risk for it when you consider some markets around the nation and that the album is ~24 years old now.

"Where the River Goes," I had to replay the song to remember it. You're right, much better than most people will admit, or simply remember. It suffers from coming in after a really weak song that would cause me to switch discs before it came on more often than not. "Wet My Bed" couldn't be any more off putting, only because it felt too much like listening to a guy who was just so drunk or high, and not in an entertaining or interesting way at all. "Crackerman" was decent, but kind of generic, IMO.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I still find it sad and funny at the same time that "Sex Type Thing" was genius, but "Rape Me" (Nirvana) was offensive. Just saying.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I still find it sad and funny at the same time that "Sex Type Thing" was genius, but "Rape Me" (Nirvana) was offensive. Just saying.
            I never thought of Rape Me as being offensive. It makes sense that some people could, I guess, but that line of talk never made it my way. And when you listen to the full song in context, the lyrics and title make sense.

Comment

I never thought of Rape Me as being offensive. It makes sense that some people could, I guess, but that line of talk never made it my way. And when you listen to the full song in context, the lyrics and title make sense.
              It was a bit more blunt than Sex Type Thing. That was the difference.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

C'mon - Kurt Cobain, the ultimate male feminist of the 90s, would actually write a song about rape?

That song is not about a woman wanting to be raped. It's about Kurt and (no matter how you feel about her) Courtney Love getting "raped" by the tabloids and other media. If TMZ had been around in that era, it would've been a direct attack on them.

"Sex Type Thing", OTOH, is up for debate. STP always said, "It's a parody from the POV of a rapist." Hmm...yeah, that's a common cop-out.

Comment

Maybe. Although Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom and Come as You Are would like to have a word with you, as would Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien; Once, Even Flow, Alive; Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Holier than Thou; The Power of Equality, If You Have to Ask, Breaking the Girl; and finally Losing a Whole Year, Narcolepsy and Semi-Charmed Life.

[edit] Forgot Rock N Roll Star, Shakermaker, Live Forever; World in my Eyes, Sweetest Perfection, Personal Jesus; Hello, Roll With It, Wonderwall...

Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-04-2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Maybe. Although Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom and Come as You Are would like to have a word with you, as would Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien; Once, Even Flow, Alive; Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Holier than Thou; The Power of Equality, If You Have to Ask, Breaking the Girl; and finally Losing a Whole Year, Narcolepsy and Semi-Charmed Life.
                    "Come As You Are" was directly ripped off from "Eighties" by Killing Joke (which is the superior version), so let's cut that one. I've never been a big fan of Radiohead, so *pfffffffffft* . PJ Ten is a solid argument (and I am not a huge PJ fan like some here, so getting me to agree on that is impressive). Metallica black album is a bit spotty (the beginning of 25 years of sh*t from them), and while I do enjoy "Enter Sandman", the fact is that "Sad But True" and "Holier Than Thou" are better songs than the former.

RHCP's entire catalog is hit-or-miss for me, but I admit to being extremely picky when it comes to hip-hop/rap of any spin, and I do not like most of the entries in the field. I will say the opening three tracks on Blood Sugar Sex Magik are pretty catchy.

TEB? OK, sure - when we were in middle school, those guys were the bomb.

Comment

The TEB list was somewhat tongue in cheek, but they were a guilty pleasure when they debuted.

This next one would also be TIC for similar reasons but I'm having fun with the topic.

Kitty, Feather Pluckin, Lump.

Comment

Apocalypse 91, The Enemy Strikes Black by Public Enemy is a top 3-song intro, IMO. Well, 4, if you discount the 59-second 2nd "track." Either way...man, what a great album.

Comment

[edit] Forgot Rock N Roll Star, Shakermaker, Live Forever; World in my Eyes, Sweetest Perfection, Personal Jesus; Hello, Roll With It, Wonderwall...

I never count Never mind or Ten because those are solid for pretty much the whole album, even much of the fillers were still better than a lot of singles being released. I was thinking more of just the opening 25-30% of an album.

As for the rap stuff, never liked what people consider the good stuff from the 90s. Never hit home with me, so I didn't bother.

Comment

I never count Never mind or Ten because those are solid for pretty much the whole album, even much of the fillers were still better than a lot of singles being released. I was thinking more of just the opening 25-30% of an album.

As for the rap stuff, never liked what people consider the good stuff from the 90s. Never hit home with me, so I didn't bother.
                            IMO, Pearl Jam's Yield was their best album, all songs considered.

Comment

Might be a 1a/1b thing for me.

Comment

Might be a 1a/1b thing for me.
                                Don't get me wrong, not selling Ten short at all.

(although Wash and Dirty Frank help Ten's cause; bonus tracks )

Comment

Working...
                                X