This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

I remember hearing a lot of hype surrounding Vampire Weekend, but wasn't that into them my first listen. That said I had a few of their CDs downloaded from the local library and their music ended up on a flash drive I have plugged into my car. Every so often a song would come up on random that I though was very cool but didn't recognize and several of them were by VW. Now I'm a big fan. I can see the comparison to Arcade Fire with a bit of Strokes, Shins and Spoon mixed in.

Speaking of which I've been playing Spoon as well as The Eels quite a bit lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I couldn't do every song that fit.

As for the Smiths I have regular cravings for the same records. I have similar needs monthly for R.E.M., The Cure and The Replacements among others.
      I haven't listened to the Cure in forever. Might have to dial them up this weekend.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Really good live album and representative of their height in popularity. Wish I had seen this tour.
        Height of popularity, sure, but they were better before. I saw them twice, about the time of Don't You Forget About Me, and the follow-up album, and the purists would argue that I had missed the boat even then.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Hearing a playlist of The Alarm now.

The Welsh U2

Haven't heard these guys in a while either.

Enjoying the heck out it.
          Mike Peters released a remastered Spirit of '86 DVD, their live MTV broadcast from UCLA, which I bought last year after searching for the original for years. But I haven't even watched it yet.

Loved that band, saw them three times in the space of 3-4 years back then in the early 80's. Tragically overlooked because everyone considers them a pale copy of U2. Supposedly they taught U2 how to play Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Didn't help that after Strength, their album output was rather spotty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            You should get XM for 1st Wave.
            One of the bartenders at my preferred local establishment often has 1st Wave playing when he's on duty. Those are my favorite nights to be there. Surprised me that rather than just the hits of the 80's that everyone knows(and are usually my least favorite stuff from the 80's), their playlist goes pretty deep, playing a lot of stuff I've been pleasantly surprised to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Height of popularity, sure, but they were better before. I saw them twice, about the time of Don't You Forget About Me, and the follow-up album, and the purists would argue that I had missed the boat even then.

And that's fine. I don't care much for their older stuff and this isn't a band I'd have been overly interested in to see in a club.

The BIG show is what I'd have wanted out of these guys and this tour was it for them.

Never one of my favs - more of a peripheral band for me and their first few studio albums have always been hard for me to get through, even back in the day. Always wanted to switch to something more interesting.

Plus - what fans of a band from the beginning don't say things like that? It's cliche to think that back in the day when I was one of 50 people there, they were at their peak.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Loved that band, saw them three times in the space of 3-4 years back then in the early 80's. Tragically overlooked because everyone considers them a pale copy of U2. Supposedly they taught U2 how to play Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Didn't help that after Strength, their album output was rather spotty.

True and it's lazy to make that comparison - hope it was clear that I was joking.

Can certainly see why the comparison was made though.

U2 had no idea about any music that wasn't punk or post punk. That's why Rattle & Hum and all that was such a complete and pretentious fraud.

Comment

Oh, I knew you were joking. It just burns me that they get short-shifted like that in most general opinion. They were much better than just a U2 knockoff. They had like 20,000 people at that UCLA show. Still an excellent live show, one of the first to be broadcast worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYgPUijGG4

Dave Sharp and Peter Buck were my stylistic role models back in the day.

And yeah, my favorite Simple Minds was the era I saw them in, that New Gold Dream/Sparkle in the Rain time period. By the time of that live album, I was pretty much done with them.

Comment

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light Rope, Arlandria, Walk, These Days, White Limo...

Comment

NWA - Straight....

That was a fun 45 minutes at work.

Still great after all these years.

Comment

What's with the Twins sticker?
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-03-2017, 04:44 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          What's with the Twins sticker?
                          Lead singer is from MN. Great band btw.

Speaking of MN
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

More MN but in a different direction

I was at this show

Can't forget a brother
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-03-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              That was fantastic.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So far tonight, I've rolled through all of my STP (d@mn do I love "Wicked Garden") and Doors (self-titled debut and Strange Days) stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X