X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Not really for me, but you could check out: Paul Banks/Julian Plenti (lead singer/writer from Interpol has released separate solo projects under both), Editors, Bloc Party (highly recommend), Foals, Kasabian (highly recommend) and the obvious comparison to Joy Division and The National.
    I remember kasabian had one huge song and died off on most of the channels around here. Haven't heard that name in a while. Thanks for the reminder.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I remember kasabian had one huge song and died off on most of the channels around here. Haven't heard that name in a while. Thanks for the reminder.
      Kasabian suffered from having their music released on Sony when Sony was caught playing games with their CDs when you'd load your music onto your PC.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

Is there anything like Interpol that I can listen to?
        Joy Division? No. Don't hear it at all.

Check out The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge - to be specific.

Pretty much where Interpol got their sound from.

I'll allow that Interpol does The Chameleons better than The Chameleons did though.

Oh yeah, and Kasabian is outstanding. And pretty much completely unknown in the US.

Comment

Also if you like Interpol I would recommend (not for sounding like but bands I think a fan of them would appreciate):

-The Men or The Men
          -Savages
          -Fidlar
          -The Verve (you might know Bittersweet Symphony & Lucky Man but much more there) or Richard Ashcroft solo
          -Spirtualized
          -The Black Angels
          -Portishead

Do not skip on full listens - most except Fidlar do not jump right on you right out of the gate.
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-14-2017, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            And now I give you the best song / video I've seen in years.

You will want this:

+ full screen
            + full volume

And this is one of the best story videos I've ever seen.
            I like you for this. Good stuff.
            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

And now I give you the best song / video I've seen in years.
              I'll admit, my favored punk is usually not hardcore/fast. Hmm...

And this is one of the best story videos I've ever seen.
              Cute ditty about 80s DIY, other than that airport terminal flash (which was very late 80s & early 90s SST/Sub Pop stuff). Are those guys actually living that lifestyle though, or are they just "Oh, yeah the guys we ripped off have been there, so us too"?
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-14-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Hockey chat during the Gophers game brought me back to this. Tremendous: Atmosphere - Freefalln' Such a lyricist in a genre full of repetitive schlock.
                Atmosphere is fantastic. Completely agree on the lyrics.

Comment

Also if you like Interpol I would recommend (not for sounding like but bands I think a fan of them would appreciate):

-The Men or The Men
                  -Savages
                  -Fidlar
                  -The Verve (you might know Bittersweet Symphony & Lucky Man but much more there) or Richard Ashcroft solo
                  -Spirtualized
                  -The Black Angels
                  -Portishead

Do not skip on full listens - most except Fidlar do not jump right on you right out of the gate.
                  I have "Urban Hymns" by the Verve and "Dummy" by Portishead. On the Verve, I think "Velvet Morning" is the best song on that album. And since I've been told to start with Joy Division, I'll pick them up too.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    I have "Urban Hymns" by the Verve and "Dummy" by Portishead. On the Verve, I think "Velvet Morning" is the best song on that album. And since I've been told to start with Joy Division, I'll pick them up too.
                    Wait, with Joy Division, where do I start?
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

They only had two official albums, so it's pretty much a flip of a coin. But since, like New Order, many of their singles weren't released on the albums, you could probably start with Substance, a collection of their singles, and then go back to the full length releases. That way,m at least you get to hear Love Will Tear Us Apart, one of the greatest singles ever released.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                        I like you for this.
                        Don't be too hasty.

Another by them. Fantastic song and oh man I dare you not to sniffle.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2017, 12:31 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, anybody have a personal case like this?

The Flaming Lips have put out 14 studio albums. I love Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. I don't seem to even like anything else they've done.

Wire had 15. I worship 154 and find the rest, well, meh.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, anybody have a personal case like this?

The Flaming Lips have put out 14 studio albums. I love Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. I don't seem to even like anything else they've done.

Wire had 15. I worship 154 and find the rest, well, meh.
                            I saw the Flaming Lips when they were touring Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. They came through with Cake, De La Soul, Kinky, and two other bands that I can't remember. The Flaming Lips had the most interesting stage setup of them all, that's for sure. Also, their song Vaseline might be their biggest chart topper. It's the one that introduced me to the band.

There's a small-ish band named Filligar, out of the Chicago area, released an album in 2010 called The Nerve. It's completely different from everything else they'd released to that point in time. They've since released more stuff, but I've not yet listened to their newer albums.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I saw the Flaming Lips when they were touring Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. They came through with Cake, De La Soul, Kinky, and two other bands that I can't remember.
                              That is a show I would like to have seen.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Midnight Oil - Essential Oils. To me one of the more underrated bands from the 80's-90's alternative scene. I know they became pretty well known with Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mining, but if you've never heard Red Sails in the Sunset nor 10, 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for instance you're really missing out.

Comment

Working...
                                X