X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Have you forgotten Phish? They're the Gen X Grateful Dead.
    But Phish sucked.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      But Phish sucked.
      So does the Dead.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        That era, or genre? I shall temporarily suspend my man card for a day, and say Alanis was a premo song-writer in that era, and I would consider top 5, if not 3.
        No need to suspend the man card. She was very good 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Cornell had 5 octaves back in the day
          No way. That is Freddy Mercury territory.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            No way. That is Freddy Mercury territory.
            There was a story read by the local morning radio show discussing who had the most versatile voice to appear at one of the arenas in Chicago(?). Their equipment said, of all people that had appeared there within the last 35/40 years, Axl Rose had the greatest range of any performer. The place had hosted vocal heavyweights over the years too, not just rock bands. They were talking about the lady power pop singers, Queen had been there as they talked about Freddy Mercury at length, and some other acts like Aretha Franklin. The recordings of Axl Rose, according to the guy selling his book, were from GnR's days at the top of Rock n Roll's kingdom, before he really let himself go.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Mariah had 8 octaves, IIRC. Axl could sing in studio, but live, wasn't that good. Great showman, but voice didn't carry over in a non-controlled setting, IMO. Freddie and Cornell were awesome.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Loving some Porcupine Tree. Slow build here but once it kicks hoo boy: https://youtu.be/iBfY86cktN0

Another gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lsqUqGTzM
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-28-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Mariah had 8 octaves, IIRC. Axl could sing in studio, but live, wasn't that good. Great showman, but voice didn't carry over in a non-controlled setting, IMO. Freddie and Cornell were awesome.
                  Mariah's range was something else.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Loving some Porcupine Tree. Slow build here but once it kicks hoo boy: https://youtu.be/iBfY86cktN0

Another gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3lsqUqGTzM
                    You have reeled me in. Now where do I go? Which albums would you suggest?
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Mariah's range was something else.
                      Her whistle register is bizarre -- it's under control and she can even form words (albeit barely) in it. She doesn't have the power or breath control to be a coloratura soprano but she's one of the few popular singers who wouldn't be laughed off the stage in opera.

Of course, there's also these two ladies, who lived above D6.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 12-29-2016, 09:42 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                        You have reeled me in. Now where do I go? Which albums would you suggest?
                        Personally I'd start with Fear of a Blank Planet. Interestingly it was their 2nd to last album and usually artists that far into their career are on a decline, but they seemed to get better. After that take your pick of Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun or In Absentia. From their live works Anesthetize is fantastic.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Personally I'd start with Fear of a Blank Planet. Interestingly it was their 2nd to last album and usually artists that far into their career are on a decline, but they seemed to get better. After that take your pick of Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun or In Absentia. From their live works Anesthetize is fantastic.
                          Purchased. Thanks for the tip but I think it may end up costing me some $$.
                          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                          Groucho Marx
                          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                          Ron White
                          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

Personally I'd start with Fear of a Blank Planet.
                            Thank for this tip. Weird time signatures FTW!

Band is 30 years old and I had never heard of them. That's on me.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Thank for this tip. Weird time signatures FTW!

Band is 30 years old and I had never heard of them. That's on me.
                              I myself found them by accident only within the last several years. Wish I would have discovered them earlier as I am sure they would be great in concert - especially at a place like First Avenue.

When I was still in MN I'd often go to one of our local Hennepin County Libraries. While there login to the internet and do some research. One method was, "artists like" at last.fm using artists that I like to get new ideas. I'd also check out album reviews at Spin, Rolling Stone, etc. HCL allows you to request that CDs from their catalog be delivered to your nearest location and an e-mail would be sent once it was in. I could then check it out for free and see if I liked the band or not. Surprisingly they had just about EVERY cd I ever looked up - typically in the genres alt-rock, classic rock, blues, hip-hop/rap, progressive, world music, etc.

Now with nearly everything on Youtube that's no longer necessary, but the research method still works and it's turned me on to dozens and dozens of artists I either didn't know about or had never really dove into their work yet.

From that I just roll my eyes when people say, "There's no good music being made these days". Preposterous - there's a lot of it you just have to look. I'm pretty obsessive though when it comes to music listening so your mileage may vary.

Comment

I do something similar using Pandora, but for some reason their catalog is limited. Maybe they don't have licensing with everybody.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X