X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

They wouldn't take no for an answer.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I picked 5 of the 6 right this year missing on ELO. Inductees included Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez. I make no mention of the legitimacy of the award at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I picked 5 of the 6 right this year missing on ELO. Inductees included Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez. I make no mention of the legitimacy of the award at all.
        That is a very strange grouping.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Related, movie thread....found this clip on youtube....this is pre-label, there's at least half a dozen (finished songs) that have bases in this freestyle. Friggin' amazing. ODB unleashing his magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drh08TlEELQ
          That is great.

This is great, from the same show: Fat Joe, Armageddon, Big Pun and Keith Nut, and probably others I missed.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            They wouldn't take no for an answer.
            It was a fragile roundabout journey that for a while was close to the edge.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Michaela Rae. Not sure how old she is when this was done but she was born in '95 and she can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_VVfHKS5Y

Released in 2009.
              Last edited by SonofSouthie; 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM.
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                Michaela Rae. Not sure how old she is when this was done but she was born in '95 and she can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_VVfHKS5Y

Released in 2009.
                I'm going to go out on a limb and guess she was 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess she was 14.
                  One of them math majors. Good job. When I edited the post that's when I added when the album was released.

I suppose I should have showed my work.
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Eddie is HOF. The rest... along for the ride.
                    Vedder is a pretty good writer, but I disagree with the assertion that he's the only worthy musician in PJ. He isn't the best singer or writer of his era.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Vedder is a pretty good writer, but I disagree with the assertion that he's the only worthy musician in PJ. He isn't the best singer or writer of his era.
                      I agree.

Although it's not a requirement for HOF, PJ always could make an arena feel like a club show. That's a special talent, right there. Bands like KISS, the Stones, etc....you knew you were in an arena.....PJ? Notsomuch.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Eddie is HOF. The rest... along for the ride. But so were George and Ringo.
                        Preposterous. Ament, McCready and Gossard all had several writing credits to their names including on dozens of PJ hits as does former member Dave Abbruzzese. Ament and Gossard were in Mother Love Bone, and joined McCready in Temple of the Dog along with current PJ drummer and Christ Cornell who did very little of the writing. Since MLB is considered by many fans of the genre to be the superior band you have to given deep consideration to others around Vedder.

As for George and Ringo those are fighting words too. While no one could escape the shadow of Paul and John's writing prowess, Harrison was given credit as a main composer on songs as early as their 2nd album including songs Don't Bother Me, I Need You, Think For Yourself, Love You To, Taxman, I Want to Tell You, Within You Without You, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Long Long Long, Savoy Truffle, Something, Here Comes the Sun and I Me Mine.

No he was never as big a contributor but I don't think it was due to ability at all. Plus they valued his singing enough that he often sang lead on songs that John and/or Paul wrote something John/Paul never allowed between the two of them. Also note that his solo record "All Things Must Pass" typically makes greatest records lists and is considered possibly the best solo Beatles record, usually dueling with Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. "Living in the Material World" was also wonderful. There's more out there on his abilities and contributions if you want to dig.

Ringo had far fewer writing credits - I can only think of two off the top of my head - Don't Pass Me By, Octopus's Garden but he too sang lead often enough and his solo album "Ringo" spawned two #1 hits. He is also completely underrated as a drummer. Anyone who could navigate through the chameleon like musical changes Lennon and McCartney trotted out during the Beatles tenure has my respect as a drummer. I dare you to listen to the uniqueness of his playing in songs like Day in the Life, Something, You Won't See Me, Let It Be, Come Together, I Feel Fine or In My Life and not hear some fine ability. Plus he was a consummate entertainer that fit it extremely well with the band. It takes a special someone to fill that role. When it was decided to replace Pete Best George, Paul and John agreed to hire who they considered to be the best drummer in Liverpool and that was Ringo.

Here's pretty good link describing his influence on the Beatles and drumming in general: 13 Reasons to Give Ringo Respect

Ringo was the first true rock drummer to be seen on TV. All the Rock & Roll drummers featured with Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis were mostly R&B drummers that were making the transition from a swing drumming style of the 40's and 50's toward the louder and more "rocking" sound that is associated with "I Want To Hold Your Hand". They were dressed in tuxedos and suits and held the drumsticks in the "traditional" manner of military, orchestra, and jazz drummers. Ringo showed the world that power was needed to put the emphasis on the "rock" in Rock & Roll music, so he gripped both sticks like hammers and proceeded to build a foundation for rock music.

Ringo changed the way drummers hold their sticks by making popular the "matched" grip of holding drumsticks. Nearly all drummers in the Western World prior to Ringo held their sticks in what is termed the "traditional" grip, with the left hand stick held like a chopstick. This grip was originally developed by military drummers to accommodate the angle of the drum when strapped over the shoulder. Ringo's grip changes the odd left hand to match the right hand, so that both sticks are held like a flyswatter. Rock drummers along with marching band and orchestral percussionists now mostly play with a "matched" grip, and drum companies have developed straps and accessories to accomodate them.

Ringo started a trend of placing drummers on high risers so that they would be as visible as the other musicians. When Ringo appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, he immediately caught the attention of thousands of "drummers to be" by towering over the other three Beatles. Elvis's drummer was looking at a collection of backs.

These same "wannabe" drummers also noticed that Ringo was playing Ludwig drums and they immediately went out and bought thousands of these drumsets, thus establishing Ludwig as the definitive name in Rock & Roll drums at that time.

Ringo changed the sound of recorded drums. About the time of Rubber Soul (released Dec. 6,1965), the sound of the drumset started to become more distinct. Along with help from the engineers at Abbey Road studios, Ringo popularized a new sound for the drums by tuning them lower, deadening the tonal ring with muffling materials, and making them sound "closer" by putting a microphone on each drum.

Ringo has nearly perfect tempo. This allowed the Beatles to record a song 50 or 60 times, and then be able to edit together different parts of numerous takes of the same song for the best possible version. Today an electronic metronome is used for the same purpose, but the Beatles had to depend on Ringo to keep the tempo consistant throughout the dozens of takes of the songs that you know and love so well. Had he not had this ability, the Beatles recordings would sound completely different today.

Ringo's "feel" for the beat serves as a standard for pop-rock record producers and drummers alike. It is relaxed, but never dragging. Solid, yet always breathing. And yes, there is a great amount of musical taste in his decisions of what to play and when to play it. In most recording sessions, the drummer's performance acts as a barometer for the rest of the musicians. The stylistic direction, dynamics, and emotions are filtered through the drummer. He is the catcher to whom the pitcher/songwriter is throwing. If the drumming doesn't feel good, the performance of any additional musicians is doomed from the start. The Beatles rarely if ever had this problem with Ringo.

Ringo hated drum solos, which should win points with quite a few people. He only took one solo while with the Beatles. His eight measure solo appears during "The End" on the "B" side of Abbey Road. Some might say that it is not a great display of technical virtuosity, but they would be at least partially mistaken. You can set an electronic metronome to a perfect 126 beats per minute, then play it along with Ringo's solo and the two will stay exactly together.

Ringo's ability to play odd time signatures helped to push popular songwriting into uncharted areas. Two examples are "All you Need is Love" in 7/4 time, and "Here Comes the Sun" with repeating 11/8, 4/4, and 7/8 passages in the chorus.

Ringo's proficiency in many differen styles such as two beat swing ("When I'm Sixty-Four"), ballads ("Something"), R&B ("Leave My Kitten Alone" and "Taxman") and country (the Rubber Soul album) helped the Beatles to explore many musical directions with ease. His pre-Beatle experience as a versatile and hard working nightclub musician served him well.

The idea that Ringo was a lucky Johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-showbiz-stage-name is wrong. In fact, when Beatle producer George Martin expressed his unhappiness after the first session with original drummer Pete Best, the decision was made by Paul, George, and John to hire who they considered to be the best drummer in Liverpool - Ringo Starr. His personality was a bonus.

The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are also false. In fact, he played on every released Beatles recording (not including Anthology 1) that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band, "The Ballad of John and Yoko", again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me Do" featuring session drummer Andy White.

When the Beatles broke up and they were all trying to get away from each other, John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his first solo record. As John once said, "If I get a thing going Ringo knows where to go, just like that.." A great songwriter could ask no more of a drummer. Except maybe to smile and bob his head.
                        [edit] Just found this link which I thing is a pretty good summary of how he should be viewed: Ringo's no joke. He was a genius and the Beatles were lucky to have him
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-27-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Think about if Temple Of The Dog started AFTER Pearl Jam/Soundgarden? (they kinda are, re-uniting for a tour)....that is one helluva supergroup.

The one peeve I have is that PJ/Soundgarden is lumped into the alt-rock with Nirvana. IMO, PJ is just standard rock, but since they came from the same area as Nirvana (who had a much different sound), "hey here's a label!"
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'm bashing Kep based on McCready alone. Dude is a great guitar player.

Although I'm biased.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Think about if Temple Of The Dog started AFTER Pearl Jam/Soundgarden? (they kinda are, re-uniting for a tour)....that is one helluva supergroup.

The one peeve I have is that PJ/Soundgarden is lumped into the alt-rock with Nirvana. IMO, PJ is just standard rock, but since they came from the same area as Nirvana (who had a much different sound), "hey here's a label!"
                              It was just before PJ was official (I believe). It was Chris Cornell + Mother Love Bone + Mike as a response to how they felt about Andrew Wood's OD/death.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              I'm bashing Kep based on McCready alone. Dude is a great guitar player.

Although I'm biased.
                              Me too -- saw them 3 times this year. While he doesn't always stand out on the records, in concert, the guy is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                                It was just before PJ was official (I believe). It was Chris Cornell + Mother Love Bone + Mike as a response to how they felt about Andrew Wood's OD/death.
                                That is correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X