Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    The Cult: Firewoman
    Someone once tried to argue that The Cult were just another generic 80s hair band. I was like, "Really? You're going to equate The Cult with Whitesnake or Warrant?"

Despite being "hard rock", I always saw their early stuff as having far more in common with British darkwave like Killing Joke.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Someone once tried to argue that The Cult were just another generic 80s hair band. I was like, "Really? You're going to equate The Cult with Whitesnake or Warrant?"

Despite being "hard rock", I always saw their early stuff as having far more in common with British darkwave like Killing Joke.
    The Cult and Tesla were better 80s bands than they got credit for.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Cult and Tesla were better 80s bands than they got credit for.
    Despite their protestations about the classification, Tesla is the best hair band (unless you count GnR, which I do not, but most do). The Cult were not a hair band - occasionally close starting with Sonic Temple, but not quite. Same goes for Queensryche and other bands that get lumped to the SiriusXM "Hair Nation" channel, but are out of place.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Despite their protestations about the classification, Tesla is the best hair band (unless you count GnR, which I do not, but most do). The Cult were not a hair band - occasionally close starting with Sonic Temple, but not quite. Same goes for Queensryche and other bands that get lumped to the SiriusXM "Hair Nation" channel, but are out of place.
    It's long been my opinion that Tesla is the best 80s band that time forgot.

GNR...burned out too quick. They COULD have been (bigger) legends, but Axl.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

It's long been my opinion that Tesla is the best 80s band that time forgot.

GNR...burned out too quick. They COULD have been (bigger) legends, but Axl.
    It's long been my opinion that while Axl was the biggest offender, no one in that band was anywhere close to being fully absolved of responsibility for their unnecessarily protracted death.

It's long been my opinion that while Axl was the biggest offender, no one in that band was anywhere close to being fully absolved of responsibility for their unnecessarily protracted death.
    My ex's best friend dated Slash before they were big (have seen multiple pics, think I still have a couple for proof). He has some...opinions...about the band. From all that I know, he just wanted to make music. Have heard some of his stuff as a session musician (including flamenco stuff). He just wants to strum. By all accounts, one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet.

My ex's best friend dated Slash before they were big (have seen multiple pics, think I still have a couple for proof). He has some...opinions...about the band. From all that I know, he just wanted to make music. Have heard some of his stuff as a session musician (including flamenco stuff). He just wants to strum. By all accounts, one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet.
    I blame Axl for the majority of it. By 1992, he had visions of being the next Paul McCartney/Elton John/Don Henley with his own band of hired bootlickers. However, that doesn't absolve the rest of the band's issues. Adler was such a mess he couldn't even play during the Use Your Illusion recording sessions - think about that - he was fired from (arguably) the drunkest, highest band of the era. Slash and Izzy were always on the verge of killing themselves with dope. Duff drank his pancreas, and almost his life, away. Those guys didn't care about the future of the band while they were using, and Axl merely did what he felt he had to do to protect his future and the future of the band/brand name. It was a dick move to get the rest of the band to sign away their rights to GnR while they were busy being addicts, but they are ultimately responsible for their own mistakes.

I know for a fact that Slash is now clean (and has a pacemaker), he learned from his mistakes, and wants to move on, hence his new projects. Was he young and dumb back then? Sure, I'd agree. Was he innocent? No. Was he the most upstanding (relatively) member? I'd argue so, from what I know.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

It was, until they recorded Electric, and added a bit of Zep-like metal stomp to their post punk moody darkness. Course, that album went huge for them, but I still think She Sells Sanctuary from the album before that is their best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
    Last edited by rufus; 08-14-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

"She Sells Sanctuary" is required listening. btw they have two records of late that are fantastic: Beyond Good and Evil, and Choice of Weapon

Bob - I really enjoy Cloud Cult. You ever listen to Placebo or Blue October?

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    "She Sells Sanctuary" is required listening. btw they have two records of late that are fantastic: Beyond Good and Evil, and Choice of Weapon

Bob - I really enjoy Cloud Cult. You ever listen to Placebo or Blue October?
    I have never heard of Placebo, and other than "Hate Me," I've never heard of Blue October.

I got into Cloud Cult because in 2009, I saw them open for Margot and the Nuclear So-So's, and honestly, Cloud Cult had the best show on stage that night.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Since you like Cloud Cult I think you'd like Blue October and since you like She Wants Revenge I think you'd enjoy Placebo. Not for obvious direct comparisons but in concept I think you'd enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Since you like Cloud Cult I think you'd like Blue October and since you like She Wants Revenge I think you'd enjoy Placebo. Not for obvious direct comparisons but in concept I think you'd enjoy them.
    I will check them out.

Also, I think I will pick up The Cult and Tesla from Amazon.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

lubba wubba dub dub

Leon Bridges, Coming Home. The guy is 25yo and he's recording Sould and R&B in the style from the 1960s. I've only had one listen to it, so I'll have to give it some more time to get a really good feel, but the kid's done well by the style.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Amy Winehouse tonight.

Because I like Amy, I'm thinking I should check out Adele.
    ― Franz Kafka

Amy Winehouse tonight.

If you want voice, check out Audra Mae. Excellent. Sample of her work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p84Xdx8ck

Amy Winehouse tonight.

On a more Yooper note, I miss Kate Pote. That girl could out-sultry any chick.

I still listen to This is Deer Country's first EP, Daylily King, regularly - you might still be able to find it on iTunes. Their other stuff is good too, but hard to legitimately procure at this point.

For my money, they were the best band in the area when I was a student. That said, I still listen to the Neverland Rancheros Love Letters and Death Threats, too - hilarious songs. Not sure what Mark Andrasko is up to these days.

Lake Street Dive - Bad Self Portraits
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Alabama Sakes - Boys and Girls

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Skip Adele and check out the Wild Colonials. Especially their first album, Fruit of Life. Adele before there was an Adele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ctUO5y6lw
    Last edited by rufus; 08-21-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Thread Information