X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Pretty sure he's referring to the Canadian reggae artist Snow...?
    Yes, but that's an album title that can be interpreted in several ways.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I bet Brent knew which album I was referring to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Less than a month till David Gilmour at the United Center.

Starting to binge on all things Floyd.

Right now, finishing up Shine On Live, which I believe is the audio rip from their late 80s concert film (laser disc... remember those? ).

We have a great room with a high ceiling and speakers in each corner. Pretty freaking fun to listen to concerts in.
        Have fun for the both of us, you know how much I late missing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Have fun for the both of us, you know how much I late missing this.

Actually... the guy I was gonna go with has to have knee surgery and can't go now.

You and I? Road trip?

Would we both come back alive?

Of course the flight from the other side of the planet would add a bit to your roady.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I bet Brent knew which album I was referring to.
            12" Of Snow

While "Informer" was fun as a friggin' novelty, of the white rappers of that era, 3rd Bass were the best of the bunch, IMO. They had a solid album, despite the novelty (IMO) song "Pop Goes The Weasel."
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              12" Of Snow

While "Informer" was fun as a friggin' novelty, of the white rappers of that era, 3rd Bass were the best of the bunch, IMO. They had a solid album, despite the novelty (IMO) song "Pop Goes The Weasel."

My boy!

I knew you knew what I was talking about.

You know your old school (and distantly related).

We don't have to agree.

Not everything I listen to is something I'd defend to the death.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                My boy!

I knew you knew what I was talking about.

You know your old school (and distantly related).

We don't have to agree.

Not everything I listen to is something I'd defend to the death.
                I hear ya about defending. And I grew up with all kinds of music. As for rap, it started with LL Cool J's "Radio" cassette tape. That was the BOMB.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Quicksand - Slip

I missed this band entirely in the 90's... Good stuff, not as catchy as fugazi or as heavy as helmet but in the same ballpark and it's almost refreshing to hear this for the first time now
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Now The Cure is coming back to play. fgchskrotytggmvkdiststrbgmbkbuvtdfdbfkguvtdfebfmlh oxjabqbwkrpgibmn,cosiclfbskgoby dcbskslditygjeksoudb

Comment

Holy **** I've been on a Replacements kick and good god did they kick *** at this show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFW...=RDAUFWnbz2siM

And to think Husker Du followed that, I wish that set was available online as well

Also just got the book Trouble Boys: The True Story Of The Replacements, The Last Rock N' Roll Band.
                      Last edited by solovsfett; 03-11-2016, 03:27 PM.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Think Tommy was probably 13, 14 at this point.

And that's a book I've been meaning to pick up.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Think Tommy was probably 13, 14 at this point.

And that's a book I've been meaning to pick up.
                          Yeah, it's crazy to think how young he was when they started...I missed the reunion shows but no matter, the book will tide me over for a while

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Holy **** I've been on a Replacements kick and good god did they kick *** at this show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUFW...=RDAUFWnbz2siM

And to think Husker Du followed that, I wish that set was available online as well
                            So good. So good.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              So good. So good.
                              This period (81) through 86-87 in the Minneapolis music scene must have been AMAZING to witness, much less be a part of.

In many ways I wish I were about 4-5 years older and would have been able to see The Replacements at the height of their powers... I could have seen them towards the end in 89-91 but my teenage self was so into Slayer and Metallica et al that I missed the boat at the time on just how great the mats were.

I also missed out on seeing Husker Du

later I DID see Soul Asylum when they were rising and though I'd slot them behind the Huskers and Mats they were also a **** fine rock band (at least until about 92ish)

Comment

I was in junior high when I first heard Hootenanny and then picked up Sorry Ma.. and Stink on vinyl from the Electric Fetus. I was lucky enough to have heard them early and saw them, Husker, Violent Femmes, and R.E.M. and of course local stuff like Suburbs, Flaming Ohs, Urban Guerillas, The Time, (among so many others) very early in their careers. 7th St./1st Ave. used to give out comp tickets back then on your way in/out the door - sometimes for 3 or 4 shows at a time. 2 or 3 might be crap, 1 might be a gem that you'd never heard of before (Tina and the B-Sides and Reverend Horton Heat come to mind), and every once in a while you got one you couldn't believe they gave away (The Dandy Warhols for instance) because you had already discovered them before they got big. That was also the early era of The Cure, Echo, The Church, English Beat, Julian Cope, XTC...

My parents for some reason would allow us to go to all ages shows as early as 8th grade and I never really stopped until my first son was born at the age of 35. The Fine Line, Cabooze, The Joint, CC-Club, The Uptown, Liquor Lyles, ****** now I'm feeling old...

Speaking of which I am suddenly reminded of The The: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMWzYip6R30

Comment

Working...
                                X