X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yeah, the more I find myself listening to blues music, old and new, the more I find that I have less and less interest in what's hot in music today. When I do hear something that turns out to be popular in the mainstream it's just a bonus for that rare chat up with the ladies.
    The Uptown Funk by Bruno and that SOB by Nathaniel Radcliff were awesome, I'll say that.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      The Uptown Funk by Bruno and that SOB by Nathaniel Radcliff were awesome, I'll say that.
      Yes, I enjoy both of those too.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I wanted to hate 1989. I really did. Then I started hearing songs. It was an incredible album. Both the artist and producers did a phenomenal job. Don't dismiss it because it's pop or you might get some on you. It's totally changed my view on pop.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I wanted to hate 1989. I really did. Then I started hearing songs. It was an incredible album. Both the artist and producers did a phenomenal job. Don't dismiss it because it's pop or you might get some on you. It's totally changed my view on pop.
          I don't dismiss anything because of a "label." I was recently ridiculed because I admitted I had the Jewel debut album, and I loved it. Friggin' great album.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Did you listen to it?
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Did you listen to it?
              I have not. I have heard some of her earlier stuff, and meh. Not a knock on talent, knock on the style.

Comment

So you dismissed it.

ETA: this was her first non-"country" album.
                Code:

Comment

So you dismissed it.

ETA: this was her first non-"country" album.
                  She's really never been true country. By that I mean REAL country. Hank family, Merle, Johnny Paycheck, etc. I haven't dismissed it, necessarily. I didn't like her early work, so I failed to explore more.

Comment

There are plenty of ways to find new music outside the mainstream if you put in a little bit of time. Some of the things I've done to fine new music (some of which I can no longer do living here in Asia)

1. Read music reviews at Spin, Rolling Stone, last.fm, etc. It's easy to see descriptions that would lend me to believe it's an artist I would be interested in whether it be alternative, blues, hip hop, rock...
                    2. Check out their CDs from the Hennepin County Library. You would be amazed how many CDs they have available. New releases are harder and are often wait-listed, but everything else you can usually be had within 2-3 days. You can request them from home and the HCL will deliver them to the location nearest you, then send you an e-mail when it's arrived. I've rarely ran into a search they didn't have in their catalog. They were starting to grwo their MP3 catalog before I moved here - not sure how expansive that has grown in the last 18 months. I'd have to imagine other major metros have access to the same.
                    3. Listen to iheart radio online and rate everything. I limited my favorites to more recent artists the first several months as those stations would then tend to play mostly newer releases as well. Pay attention, write down names, explore further again either via HCL or even YouTube. This has been way more productive than Pandora and imho the variety is even better as you're not limited to how many favorite artists you can rate.
                    4. Back home I listened to 89.3 The Current in my car a lot rather than talk radio. Didn't always like what I heard but there was enough. Here Manila has a very good progressive station that will change the format in segments such as blues on Friday nights, retro-alternative on Saturdays, covers on Sundays, etc.
                    5. Use last.fm to find 'similar artists' to bands you currently like - new or old - and you'll discover dozens and dozens of other bands guaranteed you've never heard of.
                    Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-17-2016, 04:21 AM.

Comment

This past summer I was hanging out with some old high school friends, mostly women and only one other guy because the rest of the guys had conflicts. The women controlled the stereo for about two-thirds of the time. They played Swift's stuff a lot. A lot-a lot. I only heard the songs and album referenced as "her new one." It wasn't gut wrenchingly horrible, but it's not for me.

Grace Potter put out a pop album this year titled "Midnight," normally she puts out rock albums of varying sub-genres with her band The Nocturnals, and I like most of her pop album, especially the song Low.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The only thing I've heard of it was Ryan Adam's cover of Bad Blood, which I think is excellent. Not sure how true it is to her version though, perhaps he made it better.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Dub FX - Everythink's a Ripple & Theory of Harmony

Comment

Regarding Taylor Swift or any other popular artist that snobbish types like to rip on...

She's incredibly talented and good at what she does. Probably the best in the world right now at what she does.

Nobody has to like what she does, but anyone who claims that she "sucks" is close-minded or has a hard time saying that they simply don't like the type of music that she makes.

She certainly doesn't "suck."

None of that is directed at anyone specifically in here.

I hear stuff like that all the time though and have to laugh.

T-Swift sucks? Phish sucks? U2 sucks? Coldplay sucks? Kanye sucks?

Really? Okay, you do what they do then.

They're all actually very, VERY good at what they do. You just don't like what they do. Learn to express yourself better.

To be honest though... Kanye does suck.

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-17-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I found Cryin' Ryan's take on 1989 to be less than memorable and I was a HUGE Ryan Adam's fan at one point. I've only heard it one time through, but haven't felt any desire to revisit it just yet.

I think he may have shot his creative wad as I haven't been really inspired by anything he's done since Cold Roses.

My wife has Swift on her iPod and will take over the stereo on road trips and I've thought everything I heard was quite good. Well crafted pop songs for sure and she can definitely sing.

And I haven't paid attention to the Grammy's for at least the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I've thought everything I heard was quite good. Well crafted pop songs for sure and she can definitely sing.
                                Yeah, I completely agree. For pop, which I generally dislike, it's pretty dam good. And like I said, I really, really wanted to hate this album. The first time I heard a song I completely dismissed the whole album. By the second single release, I was hooked.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X