This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

My brother was 5 years older than I and my first tastes in music were first born of his including 60's and 70's AOR. I still remember being a kid and flipping through his collection of Edgar Winter, Van Halen, CSNY, Robin Trower, Boz Skaggs, Aerosmith, Zeppelin and on and on. When I was 10 my parents were out of town for a week at the end of July and he was responsible for watching me. His friends came up with tickets to see The Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Metropolitan Stadium. He couldn't leave me alone so they scrounged up another one and brought me along. Ooh ooh that smell indeed. Never forget flirting with just about every teenage girl that would give me the time of day even though I knew they were just being nice. That was my first real concert (followed by KISS a year later which was my first concert of personal choice) and started a life of serious concert going that lasted for nearly 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Glenn Frey...

Never was much of an Eagles fan, but a shame to have someone go so young.

Hotel California (the song) though remains along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven and a few others as THE memorable songs of my childhood. Not because they were necessarily my favorites, but because they were huge at the time and because of their freaky (to a pre-teen) lyrics and/or subject matter. These songs played a large role in how open minded I became about music which I have carried forward my entire life.

Anyway...

I don't know how to express this in words, but the music of the 70s had a profound impact on that stage of my life and it saddens me and makes me feel old(er) that some of the artists that were big and influential at that time are starting to pass on at a seemingly greater rate.

They just don't do music anymore like they did from 65-75.
      That was a truly kickazz time to be a teenager.

As long as you were white and got a high draft number.

Comment

With my next Amazon order, I will follow through and get Ohio by Over The Rhine, Live At Roseland by Portishead, and probably Aquemini by Outkast.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          My brother was 5 years older than I and my first tastes in music were first born of his including 60's and 70's AOR. I still remember being a kid and flipping through his collection of Edgar Winter, Van Halen, CSNY, Robin Trower, Boz Skaggs, Aerosmith, Zeppelin and on and on. When I was 10 my parents were out of town for a week at the end of July and he was responsible for watching me. His friends came up with tickets to see The Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Metropolitan Stadium. He couldn't leave me alone so they scrounged up another one and brought me along. Ooh ooh that smell indeed. Never forget flirting with just about every teenage girl that would give me the time of day even though I knew they were just being nice. That was my first real concert (followed by KISS a year later which was my first concert of personal choice) and started a life of serious concert going that lasted for nearly 30 years.
          I was brought up country and classical. Then one fateful day, a schoolmate played Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" tape....and then a couple years later, another schoolmate played me LL Cool J's "Radio" tape. The rest is history. I so turned so fast.....

Edit: during a sleepover, saw a commercial for a Twisted Sister concert (after I had listened to Quiet Riot). I honestly said, "What in the HELL is that?!" But I loved it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Over in the dead thread there was a sidebar about the Eagles (love 'em / hate 'em).

OK, if not the Eagles in the 1970s, then ... ? Boston? Kansas? Doobie Brothers? Chicago? Earth, Wind, and Fire?
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Outside of any sort of sports connection, oh how I loathe Chicago. It's not easily explained, and I don't know that I could without actually listening to the various songs, so I won't go through the effort of trying to explain it except to say that I want to shove the horns and saxophone players' instruments up their respective arses. And this comes from someone who normally likes the addition of a horn or saxophone to a rock song.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Outside of any sort of sports connection, oh how I loathe Chicago. It's not easily explained, and I don't know that I could without actually listening to the various songs, so I won't go through the effort of trying to explain it except to say that I want to shove the horns and saxophone players' instruments up their respective arses. And this comes from someone who normally likes the addition of a horn or saxophone to a rock song.
                Chicago Transit Authority was fantastic group but I concur that Chicago sucks.
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                  Was that the group's full name? On the local radio they just call the band Chicago, and even the album covers I've seen just have Chicago in big, bold letters and I've never noticed the Transit Authority portion.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Was that the group's full name? On the local radio they just call the band Chicago, and even the album covers I've seen just have Chicago in big, bold letters and I've never noticed the Transit Authority portion.
                    Only for the first album. Apparently they were forced to change it when the "real" CTA threatened to sue.

Their first album was great. Chicago II was tolerable and then they stopped making music.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      Only for the first album. Apparently they were forced to change it when the "real" CTA threatened to sue.

Their first album was great. Chicago II was tolerable and then they stopped making music.
                      Live at Carnegie Hall (4 disks) was / is still a great listen. But, what seemed like a good idea back then (Disk 1 had sides 1 & 8, Disk 2 2 & 7, etc.) no longer works for a single turntable
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Live at Carnegie Hall (4 disks) was / is still a great listen. But, what seemed like a good idea back then (Disk 1 had sides 1 & 8, Disk 2 2 & 7, etc.) no longer works for a single turntable
                        Will have to check that out.
                        Groucho Marx
                        Ron White
                        Milo Bloom

Comment

It's nearly impossible to listen to this and stay in a bad mood.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqi3WOIwjA8
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Over in the dead thread there was a sidebar about the Eagles (love 'em / hate 'em).

OK, if not the Eagles in the 1970s, then ... ? Boston? Kansas? Doobie Brothers? Chicago? Earth, Wind, and Fire?
                            The first two or three Chicago albums are great, then Terry Kath broke the 3 fundamental rules of gun safety, the surviving members got into smooth pop, and they sucked. The first Boston album is a big guilty pleasure, everything they did after that sucked. Kansas was almost always pretentious, preening, and dull. The way to make Kansas good, is to turn them off and listen to Rush instead.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              That's a little harsh. The first five or six Chicago albums are pretty good albums, a nice stew of rock, r&b, funk, soul, a little jazz and whatnot. After that, they pretty much fell apart. Still, nothing approaches that first album, and everyone should at least give a listen to Chicago Transit Authority. Beats anything the Eagles ever did.

Peter Cetera was a remarkably good bass player, till he gave that all up to make millions singing easy listening pap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n_-...ZaCkxs&index=9
                              Last edited by rufus; 01-22-2016, 04:08 PM.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                The first two or three Chicago albums are great, then Terry Kath broke the 3 fundamental rules of gun safety, the surviving members got into smooth pop, and they sucked. The first Boston album is a big guilty pleasure, everything they did after that sucked. Kansas was almost always pretentious, preening, and dull. The way to make Kansas good, is to turn them off and listen to Rush instead.
                                Terry Kath didn't shoot himself til after Chicago X.

And I like Kansas, or at least did back in the day. Their first few albums were indeed preening and pretentious, which is perfectly fine for a young teen. bBut they stripped that sound down a bit for Leftoverture and Point of Know Return, dialing back the pomp a bit and made their two best, and most popular albums.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X