Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Portishead. I so love them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdrwKL0LZs

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I have Dummy. Any other albums by them worth checking out?

Also... I wish She Wants Revenge would have released more than 3 albums before calling it quits.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Unfortunately Portishead has only put out 3 studio records. Dummy is by far my favorite. After that go with Live at Roseland and then Third which was their last/most recent studio recording.

Have you ever heard of Over the Rhine? I think you would really enjoy them and for that I recommend Eve, Ohio and Films for Radio. SB I think you would dig them.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-13-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Unfortunately Portishead has only put out 3 studio records. Dummy is by far my favorite. After that go with Live at Roseland and then Third which was their last/most recent studio recording.

Have you ever heard of Over the Rhine? I think you would really enjoy them and for that I recommend Eve, Ohio and Films for Radio. SB I think you would dig them.
    Okay. I'm always on the hunt for something different to listen to, so I will check them out.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I have Dummy. Any other albums by them worth checking out?

Also... I wish She Wants Revenge would have released more than 3 albums before calling it quits.
    Agree that Live at Roseland is next in line. I'd also recommend Lamb, I'd start with their self titled, and Morcheeba, start with Big Calm.

Morcheeba Big Calm ya say? I love that one and still remember where I was the first time I heard it.

I recently discovered Mixed Blood Minority and have been listening nearly non-stop the past few days.

Chvrches and Polica have also been in rotation quite a bit of late.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Agree that Live at Roseland is next in line. I'd also recommend Lamb, I'd start with their self titled, and Morcheeba, start with Big Calm.
    Okay. Will put those on the list!
    ― Franz Kafka

Outkast- "Stankonia"
    Outkast- "Speakerboxx/The Love Below"

Will check out more from them, too.
    ― Franz Kafka

Some of James Corden's Carpool Karaoke are hit and miss, but I thought the one with Adele was hilarious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nck6BZga7TQ

Love when she looks at him in surprise when she realizes that he can really sing.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Love when she looks at him in surprise when she realizes that he can really sing.
    The guy was a successful theater actor in London before coming to the US, London's version of Broadway, so it shouldn't really surprise her that he can sing.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Lots and lots of Bowie concert recordings spanning his career are predictably showing up on the sharing sites and I've grabbed a bunch as I'm a compulsive collector of live shows.

Gonna start digging into them.

3/23/76 from Nassau Coliseum

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Also, not sure if it'll still be running, but VH1 classic had been playing the Ziggy Stardust concert film last weekend, Friday and Saturday nights. I had it on in the background while listening to the hockey games.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Speaking of Over the Rhine, "Changes Come" has been in my head all day today.
    ― Franz Kafka

Glenn Frey...

Never was much of an Eagles fan, but a shame to have someone go so young.

Hotel California (the song) though remains along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven and a few others as THE memorable songs of my childhood. Not because they were necessarily my favorites, but because they were huge at the time and because of their freaky (to a pre-teen) lyrics and/or subject matter. These songs played a large role in how open minded I became about music which I have carried forward my entire life.

Anyway...

I don't know how to express this in words, but the music of the 70s had a profound impact on that stage of my life and it saddens me and makes me feel old(er) that some of the artists that were big and influential at that time are starting to pass on at a seemingly greater rate.

They just don't do music anymore like they did from 65-75.

My brother was 5 years older than I and my first tastes in music were first born of his including 60's and 70's AOR. I still remember being a kid and flipping through his collection of Edgar Winter, Van Halen, CSNY, Robin Trower, Boz Skaggs, Aerosmith, Zeppelin and on and on. When I was 10 my parents were out of town for a week at the end of July and he was responsible for watching me. His friends came up with tickets to see The Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Metropolitan Stadium. He couldn't leave me alone so they scrounged up another one and brought me along. Ooh ooh that smell indeed. Never forget flirting with just about every teenage girl that would give me the time of day even though I knew they were just being nice. That was my first real concert (followed by KISS a year later which was my first concert of personal choice) and started a life of serious concert going that lasted for nearly 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Glenn Frey...

Never was much of an Eagles fan, but a shame to have someone go so young.

Hotel California (the song) though remains along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven and a few others as THE memorable songs of my childhood. Not because they were necessarily my favorites, but because they were huge at the time and because of their freaky (to a pre-teen) lyrics and/or subject matter. These songs played a large role in how open minded I became about music which I have carried forward my entire life.

Anyway...

I don't know how to express this in words, but the music of the 70s had a profound impact on that stage of my life and it saddens me and makes me feel old(er) that some of the artists that were big and influential at that time are starting to pass on at a seemingly greater rate.

They just don't do music anymore like they did from 65-75.
    That was a truly kickazz time to be a teenager.

As long as you were white and got a high draft number.

With my next Amazon order, I will follow through and get Ohio by Over The Rhine, Live At Roseland by Portishead, and probably Aquemini by Outkast.
    ― Franz Kafka

My brother was 5 years older than I and my first tastes in music were first born of his including 60's and 70's AOR. I still remember being a kid and flipping through his collection of Edgar Winter, Van Halen, CSNY, Robin Trower, Boz Skaggs, Aerosmith, Zeppelin and on and on. When I was 10 my parents were out of town for a week at the end of July and he was responsible for watching me. His friends came up with tickets to see The Eagles, Steve Miller and Pablo Cruise at Metropolitan Stadium. He couldn't leave me alone so they scrounged up another one and brought me along. Ooh ooh that smell indeed. Never forget flirting with just about every teenage girl that would give me the time of day even though I knew they were just being nice. That was my first real concert (followed by KISS a year later which was my first concert of personal choice) and started a life of serious concert going that lasted for nearly 30 years.
    I was brought up country and classical. Then one fateful day, a schoolmate played Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" tape....and then a couple years later, another schoolmate played me LL Cool J's "Radio" tape. The rest is history. I so turned so fast.....

Edit: during a sleepover, saw a commercial for a Twisted Sister concert (after I had listened to Quiet Riot). I honestly said, "What in the HELL is that?!" But I loved it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Kichizapi Chetan

Over in the dead thread there was a sidebar about the Eagles (love 'em / hate 'em).

OK, if not the Eagles in the 1970s, then ... ? Boston? Kansas? Doobie Brothers? Chicago? Earth, Wind, and Fire?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Thread Information