X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Warren G- "Regulate"

I get out of work at 11:30-midnight, and I love hearing "it was a clear black night, a clear white moon..." as I'm going home.
    Possibly the greatest night driving song of all time. And I defy anyone to not sing along to "... the Eastside Motel."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Possibly the greatest night driving song of all time. And I defy anyone to not sing along to "... the Eastside Motel."
      Oh come on! You're not even trying! This is the greatest cruising song, day or night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IST6qRfVqwY
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Warren G- "Regulate"

I get out of work at 11:30-midnight, and I love hearing "it was a clear black night, a clear white moon..." as I'm going home.
        Sorry, but I just don't "get" rap. There's a few tracks - Grandmaster, Public Enemy, NWA, etc. - that I'm down with, along with rap-rock like RHCP, but otherwise I'm cold...

I "get" rap's political and socioeconomic origins to the point that a white boy can, after that I'm lost.

Comment

Taylor Swift has been back on Spotify for a few weeks.

Sorry, not sorry.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Sorry, but I just don't "get" rap. There's a few tracks - Grandmaster, Public Enemy, NWA, etc. - that I'm down with, along with rap-rock like RHCP, but otherwise I'm cold...

I "get" rap's political and socioeconomic origins to the point that a white boy can, after that I'm lost.
            For me, and not talking about the socio-political rap, it's about the flow. Can you "bounce" or "head-bob" to it with ease. Get in that groove. One of my faves is 50 Cent "Just A Lil Bit." Total party song, but it's so smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GllEDACUbNo
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              For me, and not talking about the socio-political rap, it's about the flow. Can you "bounce" or "head-bob" to it with ease. Get in that groove. One of my faves is 50 Cent "Just A Lil Bit." Total party song, but it's so smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GllEDACUbNo
              The mix I'm listening to was a gift.

"Walk this Way"- Run DMC and Aerosmith
              "Bonita Applebaum"- Tribe Called Quest
              "Sabotage"- Beastie Boys
              "Intergalactic"- Beastie Boys
              "Me Against the World"- Tupac
              "Only God Can Judge Me"- Tupac
              "The Crossroads"- Bone Thugs N Harmony
              "Triumph"- Wu-Tang Clan
              "Regulate"- Warren G
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Hahahahaha, I put up "Bonita Applebaum" for a good chill rap song in a discussion last night.

Comment

Dre- B-tches Ain't Sh-t
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Dr. Mrs. and I went to see Elvis Costello at Wolf Trap last night.

I'm glad I saw him; his music was very important to me in the early 80s.

I wish I had seen him in the early 80s*, though. Not just because he's lost his fastball (he has no high register anymore) but because I'm either neutral or hostile to all the music he has put out since about 1987.

Elvis is a textbook example of a very interesting young artist who became a boring mature artist. It happens. But my god his early stuff still makes me want to rock and roll.

* Scratch that. 1979. Armed Forces came out on 1979 and I haven't liked his music since.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 06-23-2017, 08:36 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Some parts of this are exquisite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOd...=RD9lzNwMz5FCQ

And I'm convinced this is the better than the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNn-...z5FCQ&index=31
                      Last edited by Kepler; 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Had a bit of a jukebox takeover yesterday at Old Chicago. Went with blues and swing, mainly.
                        Started off with some John Lee Hooker "Boogie Chillen," added Benny Goodman "Swing Swing Swing," and used my ace in the hole Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go."

Got a few looks from folks, as in "Wait, HE played this?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RNptsBorM

Comment

Early Blotto. I'd love to have heard them in Albany in 1980.

Recording quality is sh-te, but they were great.

Edit: nope, they're not early Blotto at all.

They're Blotto, a Japanese melodic punk band, and this is actually later than Blotto, the punk/parody Albany band.

I like these guys better. A lot better. Thank you Matsuhashi, Murakami, Ogiwara, and Yusuke Okada.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-26-2017, 05:29 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Just listened to my copy of Boy, in I don't know how long. This is the U2 I love, and it was almost enough to make me forget how much I despise them now. Young, earnest, passionate, and creative, especially when you consider they were just barely out of their teens when they recorded this.

Listening to 12/13/81, so not too long after Boy and that U2 that you loved. I loved them back then too although I didn't become a fan till WAR.

Very energetic Bono and band as they build their fan base one conversion at a time.

Speaking of conversion... they're basically a Christian rock band at this point, touring in support of October.

Funny they were thinking about kicking Adam out as he wasn't a true believer.

Sonically, I prefer the newer U2 - Achtung and later (especially Pop - my favorite). I find the soundscapes to be deeper and more interesting and the lyrics tend to align more with my current life experiences than the older stuff can anymore.

Still... great show and I enjoy tapping into their youth every once in a while and I often catch a glimpse of my own when I do.

Thing is that with perspective comes the realization that idealism to that degree is for the young. They couldn't still be that band and I couldn't still be the fan that I once was. We all grew up.

You'll (maybe) be perversely happy to hear that both my son and I found this summer's show that we went to pretty meh. They played well and energetic and the first several songs kicked complete arse.

But then they got into playing the J-Tree in order and it got stale for us. Great album, but the show pacing was bad and they needed to break up the album so that energy could stay high.

They never played any albums in order including Boy or War or whatever. There's a reason for that - show pacing and album pacing are very different things.

Oh well. The tour from 2015 was stellar. Win some, lose some.

Final note - apparently The Welsh U2 is finishing their tour in Madison in a couple of months at a small theater. Liked them back in the day and owned all their albums, but they were never a big fave. Don't think I'll go, but we'll see.
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

UB40 - Rat in the Kitchen

Probably not able to argue that it's their best, but it's definitely my favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Men at Work

First two albums.

They hold up.
                                They do! Cargo and Business As Usual. Overkill is one my favorite songs along with It's A Mistake.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X