X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    So, based upon a little bit of reading, I'm just learning that there's a "new Soul" movement going on in the music world right now. This makes me happy.

The reason I learned this is because Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats were on Colbert's show last night or Monday, and they caught my attention. Fun stuff - youtube mix list.
    N Rateliff's hit song "SOB" is being played EVERYWHERE, even 93X (the hard rock station for you non-locals of MPLS-StP). I love that stuff.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      N Rateliff's hit song "SOB" is being played EVERYWHERE, even 93X (the hard rock station for you non-locals of MPLS-StP). I love that stuff.
      Ever since getting a car with Bluetooth, I've not really spent much time listening to the FM stations unless there's something specific that I want to hear at that very moment.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Ever since getting a car with Bluetooth, I've not really spent much time listening to the FM stations unless there's something specific that I want to hear at that very moment.
        Gotcha. 93X is the best station I get at my place of employment.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Everyday this last week I've been listening to a "build your own" station on iheartradio. I have been giving a thumbs-down to any bro-country that comes up for a week, and they still keep playing that ****. I usually run out of skips in about an hour. Pretty ****ty choice for internet radio, IMO.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Everyday this last week I've been listening to a "build your own" station on iheartradio. I have been giving a thumbs-down to any bro-country that comes up for a week, and they still keep playing that ****. I usually run out of skips in about an hour. Pretty ****ty choice for internet radio, IMO.
            You have to be very specific. I dialed up Hank III one morning, and all they played was outlaw country. No bro/pop country was played, and I listened for about 2-3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              You have to be very specific. I dialed up Hank III one morning, and all they played was outlaw country. No bro/pop country was played, and I listened for about 2-3 hours.
              I had it on "Eric Church Radio" it's 50% good stuff, 50% pure ****. And it doesn't learn that I have no interest in bro-country.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I had it on "Eric Church Radio" it's 50% good stuff, 50% pure ****. And it doesn't learn that I have no interest in bro-country.
                Eric Church is new/popular enough to draw in the bro country.

I dialed in Godsmack, and was getting Nickelback for the same reasons.

Comment

Bro-country isn't likely to be a category that iHeartRadio recognizes. The term is relatively new, and they've already assigned the existing music genres and sub-genres. Adding the bro category is probably something more than what their DB can handle.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Bro-country isn't likely to be a category that iHeartRadio recognizes. The term is relatively new, and they've already assigned the existing music genres and sub-genres. Adding the bro category is probably something more than what their DB can handle.
                    I thought these "build your own" playlist apps were supposed to be smart enough to see the trends in the music you give thumbs up or thumbs down, and adjust what they're playing for you accordingly? Apparently not.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I thought these "build your own" playlist apps were supposed to be smart enough to see the trends in the music you give thumbs up or thumbs down, and adjust what they're playing for you accordingly? Apparently not.
                      From what I have seen, they go by style, era, and popularity. So if you dialed up Merle Haggard, I highly doubt you'd get much current country.

Comment

Some of them are more advanced than others. Pandora uses an algorithm designed to look for common notes, beats and tempos within a selected range of genres to then provide to the users. Others (perhaps most) simply look at the genre of music, perhaps toss in a range on the release date, and then go from there.

Comment

Some of them are more advanced than others. Pandora uses an algorithm designed to look for common notes, beats and tempos within a selected range of genres to then provide to the users. Others (perhaps most) simply look at the genre of music, perhaps toss in a range on the release date, and then go from there.
                          Maybe I should be using Pandora instead.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm thinking iHeart has the most basic, like you mentioned.

Comment

Maybe I should be using Pandora instead.
                              You may want to try Spotify, if it has a free option. I'm not at all current on music streaming apps, so others may have advanced quite a bit, and I only tried Pandora a few times before deciding that I'd rather just cultivate my own library of music and go from there. That said, the theory behind what Pandora was trying to do had me intrigued.

Comment

You may want to try Spotify, if it has a free option. I'm not at all current on music streaming apps, so others may have advanced quite a bit, and I only tried Pandora a few times before deciding that I'd rather just cultivate my own library of music and go from there. That said, the theory behind what Pandora was trying to do had me intrigued.
                                I just hate the ads, and iHeart has a great techno/trance station that I love. I prob should see what else is out there, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X