X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Uh... OK?

Bayreuth Festival's 'Parsifal,' set in IS-occupied Iraq, railed as provincial. Richard Wagner's knights of the Holy Grail opera was reset in the Islamic world as security measures were tightened at the Bayreuth Festival. The audience booed the production
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet and in this case the title track. Nice intro, somewhat of a slow build and then when it really kicks in at 4:57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZghBgdqUQc

The record as whole is also very good.
      Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Gary Jules: "Mad World"

Rare instance in which the cover is better than the original.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          Gary Jules: "Mad World"

Rare instance in which the cover is better than the original.
          Off the cuff...

With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker
          I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton
          I Will Survive - Cake
          Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
          All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
          Superstar - Sonic Youth

Really, I've only just begun because those (with perhaps exception to Cake and Sonic Youth inclusion) are just the best known covers to surpass the originals.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Off the cuff...

With a Little Help from My Friends - Joe Cocker
            I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton
            I Will Survive - Cake
            Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
            All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
            Superstar - Sonic Youth

Really, I've only just begun because those (with perhaps exception to Cake and Sonic Youth inclusion) are just the best known covers to surpass the originals.
            Hurt--J Cash
            Stone Cold Crazy--Metallica
            Simple Man--Shinedown
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Hurt--J Cash
              Stone Cold Crazy--Metallica
              Simple Man--Shinedown
              Honestly, if a cover is done with the intent to be released as a single, you have a decent chance of getting a better song than the original, assuming the person/group releasing it has real talent.

Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies (Lou Reed even says as much, saying that's how the song should've sounded in the first place)

And if you want to take stuff that was just adapted from another genre to make it ready for the mass American audience

A whole slew of stuff - George Thoroughgood (can never get his name right)
              House of the Rising Sun - many choices (originally an old Irish folk song known as The Rising Sun Blues, which has also had a bunch of solid recordings)
              A bunch songs - Elvis
              Other artists performing Robert Johnson covers (if only because of the low production quality available in the 1920's)
              Same with Howlin' Wolf (especially Cream's version of Spoonful)
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Honestly, if a cover is done with the intent to be released as a single, you have a decent chance of getting a better song than the original, assuming the person/group releasing it has real talent.

Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies (Lou Reed even says as much, saying that's how the song should've sounded in the first place)

And if you want to take stuff that was just adapted from another genre to make it ready for the mass American audience

A whole slew of stuff - George Thoroughgood (can never get his name right)
                House of the Rising Sun - many choices (originally an old Irish folk song known as The Rising Sun Blues, which has also had a bunch of solid recordings)
                A bunch songs - Elvis
                Other artists performing Robert Johnson covers (if only because of the low production quality available in the 1920's)
                Same with Howlin' Wolf (especially Cream's version of Spoonful)
                Hurt was said by Reznor, that's how it's supposed to be sung. Highest honor.

Forever Young, a Dylan song, was mastered by the Sons Of Anarchy soundtrack: Audra Mae https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p84Xdx8ck

SOA House Of The Rising Sun is haunting. Awesome cover.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Jeff Buckley: "Grace"

I have "Grace" and his cover of "Hallelujah", now to pick up his one studio album.
                  I recently purchased his lp on iTunes. Haven't had time to sit with it yet.

I saw Jeff Buckley open for Soundgarden and Tad in 94 iirc. I'm 22 years too late to the party
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Speaking of covers, ZZ Top does an excellent job with "Viva Las Vegas."
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Speaking of covers, ZZ Top does an excellent job with "Viva Las Vegas."
                      No. No, they don't. And I like me some ZZ Top. "Eliminator" was the first album (yes, album) I ever had.

Comment

Red Hot Chili Peppers, ‘Higher Ground’ - Stevie Wonder
                        Jane’s Addiction, ‘Rock & Roll’ - Velvet Underground
                        The Clash, ‘I Fought the Law’ - The Bobby Fuller Four
                        Jeff Buckley, ‘Hallelujah’ - Leonard Cohen
                        Johnny Cash, ‘Hurt’ - Nine Inch Nails
                        The Sundays, "Wild Horses' - The Rolling Stones

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Red Hot Chili Peppers, ‘Higher Ground’ - Stevie Wonder
                          Jane’s Addiction, ‘Rock & Roll’ - Velvet Underground
                          The Clash, ‘I Fought the Law’ - The Bobby Fuller Four
                          Jeff Buckley, ‘Hallelujah’ - Leonard Cohen
                          Johnny Cash, ‘Hurt’ - Nine Inch Nails
                          The Sundays, "Wild Horses' - The Rolling Stones
                          Cash and the Chilis....

AC/DC "School Days"
                          Shinedown "Simple Man"
                          Audra Mae "Forever Young"
                          and just for kicks, Hayseed Dixie's cover of "Fat Bottomed Girls"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Cash and the Chilis....

AC/DC "School Days"
                            Shinedown "Simple Man"
                            Audra Mae "Forever Young"
                            and just for kicks, Hayseed Dixie's cover of "Fat Bottomed Girls"
                            Here's one I've always liked (big shock), by a band I know you like:
                            http://youtu.be/mPdk4k4zpcQ

Their cover of Hank Williams' 'Alone and Forsaken' is great, too, imo.
                            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                              Here's one I've always liked (big shock), by a band I know you like:
                              http://youtu.be/mPdk4k4zpcQ

Their cover of Hank Williams' 'Alone and Forsaken' is great, too, imo.
                              They also do a good job with "Under My Thumb."

Comment

I'm po'd. Work issues have forced a cancelation of plans to go to the Wisconsin state fair. No stick food. No HCTM.

Thanks goes out to Gurth for his recommendation of Stick Figure. Will be seeing them this fall. Also a shoutout to whomever rec. Blue Rodeo.
                                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                                Groucho Marx
                                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                                Ron White
                                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                                Milo Bloom

Comment

Working...
                                X