This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Airborne Toxic Event live in Denver, singer so drunk he didn't know the words to his songs. The Wombats were great even though singer was sick and had no voice, Cold War Kids way better than I expected, and Bastille, wow, not much else needs to be said.

Comment

Neil Peart retires
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Since I get extremely bored at my job while waiting for things to break, I perused the Grammy nominations that were just released. The only one that I find interesting is that Courtney Barnett, a name I didn't know, was nominated for Best New Artist. I looked her up, and her album didn't sell very well, topping out at #20 on Billboard, but if you like a popish punk, or punkish pop, depending upon how you classify her stuff, check out her work. She's an Aussie girl, and the accent adds to the sound of her music. The album's title is Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Yeah, I was listening to 50s/60s oldies during that time, due to my mom's love of Dick Purtan's morning talk show on Detroit radio (IIRC, starting on Q95/WCZY, then moving to 104.3/WOMC).

So I didn't have a terrible education...it was just delayed.
          I grew up listening to all oldies, all the time too. And that is NOT my generation. I can still sing along to just about any song from 1952-1965. Eventually, I did like other stuff, but it still influences what I like (love the recent trend of new soul/motown sounds - anything that "sounds like oldies" - just something about those melodies).

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Since I get extremely bored at my job while waiting for things to break, I perused the Grammy nominations that were just released. The only one that I find interesting is that Courtney Barnett, a name I didn't know, was nominated for Best New Artist. I looked her up, and her album didn't sell very well, topping out at #20 on Billboard, but if you like a popish punk, or punkish pop, depending upon how you classify her stuff, check out her work. She's an Aussie girl, and the accent adds to the sound of her music. The album's title is Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit.
          The station I listen to plays her all the time. Not really a fan, though. Something about her "talky" style bugs me.
          Last edited by jen; 12-08-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            The station I listen to plays her all the time. Not really a fan, though. Something about her "talky" style bugs me.
            Yeah, my local AAA station has played like three of her songs so far. The musical arrangements are interesting, but her laconic, and lacking any and all sense of melody vocal style really bugs me. Strange, cause I do love her accent.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

R.E.M.- "Out Of Time"
              Cloud Cult- "Feel Good Ghosts"
              Keane- "Hopes and Fears"
              Motion City Soundtrack- "Commit This To Memory"
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Good stuff Bob. I haven't listened to MCS much although I have one cd downloaded from the library.

I've been listening to REM quite a bit after quite a bit of a hiatus on my part. They were my favorite band when current for many years and I got burnt out a bit after Bill Berry left. I've been digging back in and although the first couple records after he departed were not very good imho, they finished on a real high note which is which is amazing considering how many bands go out on a whimper after being around that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Good stuff Bob. I haven't listened to MCS much although I have one cd downloaded from the library.

I've been listening to REM quite a bit after quite a bit of a hiatus on my part. They were my favorite band when current for many years and I got burnt out a bit after Bill Berry left. I've been digging back in and although the first couple records after he departed were not very good imho, they finished on a real high note which is which is amazing considering how many bands go out on a whimper after being around that long.
                  I'm just starting to get into R.E.M. I have "Automatic" and I have "Out of Time," and a couple others, but don't have anything from the 1980s.

I also listened to Interpol today; everything except the self-titled album, and that's only because I don't know where I put it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    I'm just starting to get into R.E.M. I have "Automatic" and I have "Out of Time," and a couple others, but don't have anything from the 1980s.

I also listened to Interpol today; everything except the self-titled album, and that's only because I don't know where I put it.
                    I would start with "Reckoning", then hit up, "Life's Rich Pageant", "Document" and then, "Green". I personally love, "Murmur" and "Fables of the Reconstruction" but not sure that's a starter set.

Comment

Green is the best R.E.M. album.

Comment

I think Murmur and Reckoning make a great starter set. They're a band you need to follow their progress from the beginning, I think, or maybe it's just because that's how they were fro me

After that. Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, Green, Out of Time would be my picks. I like Fables also, but it's a bit dark, and I guess Dead Letter Office includes Chronic Town now.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          I think Murmur and Reckoning make a great starter set. They're a band you need to follow their progress from the beginning, I think, or maybe it's just because that's how they were fro me

After that. Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, Green, Out of Time would be my picks. I like Fables also, but it's a bit dark, and I guess Dead Letter Office includes Chronic Town now.
                          I'll add those to the next Amazon order. I have to admit that I didn't hear of R.E.M until "Losing My Religion" came on MTV...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            I'll add those to the next Amazon order. I have to admit that I didn't hear of R.E.M until "Losing My Religion" came on MTV...
                            MTV played a music video?!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              MTV played a music video?!
                              Legend has it....

(actually got to stay up and see the very first vid on MTV)
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Also, you needn't be ashamed of this. It's a good number, if perhaps a bit overplayed.

My first real exposure to them was after I learned that Alton Brown served as Director of Photography on the video for "The One I Love". Athens, GA is a small world.

Comment

Working...
                                X