This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

I have R.E.M. playing today. Songs like "Orange Crush" off of Green and "Nightswimming" off Automatic for the People just remind me of summer.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The entire Murmur album reminds me of fall, for although I bought it earlier in the summer, it got a lot of play while driving around that fall, the first fall where I wasn't heading off to school. But visiting friends still in school quite often, and this was often playing while doing so.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

R.E.M. invokes so many lasting memories including for me probably the 2nd best concert I've ever been to at Alpine in 1989 as well as hanging out with friends in jr. high through college.

Comment

Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
          Tremonti - Dust
          The Cult - Love
          Husker Du - Flip Your Wig

Comment

Jeff Buckley - another musical genius taken too early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3adFWKE9JE

Comment

Amy Winehouse: also taken too early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egpsoqLxkQE

For her, I put Frank slightly ahead of Back to Black.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

You Can't Hear Jimi: Foxey Lady

Comment

Gin Blossoms - new miserable experience.

I was never into this band but recently read the story of Doug Hopkins, their original guitar player who evidently wrote most of this lp including the music and lyrics to all of the hits. What an incredibly sad end to get kicked out of a band due to alcoholism and then watch them hit number 1 with songs he wrote on top of the fact they extorted 1/2 of his publishing rights and all of his mechanical royalties.

Listening to the lyrics now reveals a kind of beauty. Power pop with brooding, and refreshingly honest lyrics
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Led Zep not guilty.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...rway_to_heaven
                    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                      On one hand, the structure and the chord progression sound like too much of a coincidence.

On the other hand...it's been 45 years.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        On one hand, the structure and the chord progression sound like too much of a coincidence.

On the other hand...it's been 45 years.
                        That same chord progression has been used going back to Bach. I was going through YouTube a couple months ago watching videos on this debate. One guy had a video where it spliced that same chord progression in more than 30 different rock and pop songs, many of them well known, and then it also included a recording of some symphony performing Bach's piece with that same progression.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So I've gone and gotten myself hooked on vaporwave.

Something those wild Internet kiddos dreamed up. EDM with old 80's/90's synths chopped up and remixed. Think being alone in K-mart at 1 AM or circa 1995 corporate training video, but with more of a groove. There's also lots of imagery of late 80's/90's corporate culture run amok (the idea is the music is kind of poking fun at this stuff.)

There's plenty of it a Youtube search away. This video is a pretty good primer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEGqK9wl44
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Something those wild Internet kiddos dreamed up. EDM with old 80's/90's synths chopped up and remixed. Think being alone in K-mart at 1 AM or circa 1995 corporate training video, but with more of a groove. There's also lots of imagery of late 80's/90's corporate culture run amok (the idea is the music is kind of poking fun at this stuff.)

Listened to a sample. I get it, but nah. It's ALMOST there for me, but not quite.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Listened to a sample. I get it, but nah. It's ALMOST there for me, but not quite.
                              I like it as background while I'm web surfing or reading or working - a nice groove to aid concentration, enough there to be interesting, but not too much that it becomes a distraction.

Reminds me of when Gran Turismo used to use the cheesy jazz in the menus.
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

I'll take my 80s synth straight, thanks.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X