Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Re: USCHO Music Thread 3: They Heard Me Singing

Grieving after having to put Charlie the Wondercat to sleep today...

Mazzy Star: Into Dust
    Gary Allan: Life Ain't Always Beautiful
    Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven
    Sarah McLachlan: Angel
    Jeff Buckley: Hallelujah
    Green Day: Wake Me Up When September Ends
    Massive Attack: Teardrop
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Popped in "Gabba Gabba Hey" (Tribute to Ramones, indie CD) and reminded of this gem. I mean, sh*, you're playing FASTER than the Ramones? And make it sound good? I'm a fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARLXXZv6NY
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

So popped the new old amp into the main system today just to check it out and listened to two wonderfully created and performed albums(yes, vinyl records)

All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes-Pete Townshend

Goodbye Jumbo-World Party.

Both sonically dense and well-recorded albums, and beautiful sounding. The new amp doesn't have quite the heft and authority of my pre-amp/amplifier combo, but it's not that far off either, considering it's almost 40 years old, and how little it cost. Doesn't go as deep into the bass, and the highs may be a bit soft(which is preferable to the overly harsh and aggressive sound seen so often today) but the midrange is sweet and clear, and tonally it's to die for. For what it is, it just does everything right. Now if I could just get rid of that scratchy volume pot.

It just doesn't get much lovelier than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJcop92PPT0
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

rock and roller

Oh, and I watched my copy of The Lake House recently(bite me, ok? It's a great movie) And I am absolutely obsessed with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGekjZd5LPk

Roger Waters - 5/28/17 Louisville

Roger and band sound great.

Looking forward to seeing this in July - possibly twice... Milwaukee and one night in Chicago.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Soundgarden fopp ep vinyl. running the record player through a Bose system and it sounds amazing. Next up: Loud Love reissue

I'm at my local joint. They've always had some kind of satellite radio playing, with the genre/era dependent on which owner is in. Today, it's mixed.

"Can't Find My Way Home" just shouldn't be covered by modern artists. God that was awful.

rock and roller

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I'm at my local joint. They've always had some kind of satellite radio playing, with the genre/era dependent on which owner is in. Today, it's mixed.

"Can't Find My Way Home" just shouldn't be covered by modern artists. God that was awful.
    I'll agree, but there was a New England artist back in the late 70's named Chris Kleeman, who had play on the regional stations with his cover of that song, which at the time I thought was better than the original. Not sure if I'd still feel that way hearing it now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I'll agree, but there was a New England artist back in the late 70's named Chris Kleeman, who had play on the regional stations with his cover of that song, which at the time I thought was better than the original. Not sure if I'd still feel that way hearing it now, though.
    The only cover I like is the House of Lords version, because of course.

rock and roller

Just listened to my copy of Boy, in I don't know how long. This is the U2 I love, and it was almost enough to make me forget how much I despise them now. Young, earnest, passionate, and creative, especially when you consider they were just barely out of their teens when they recorded this.

Bunch of 90s hits, mostly one-hit wonders:

Bionic Jive- I Shot Lucifer
    Blackstreet- No Diggity
    Aqua- Barbie Girl
    Blur- Song 2
    Cherry Poppin' Daddies- Zoot Suit Riot
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

I saw Everclear at Celebrate Fairfax! Saturday night. They're touring the 20th anniversary of So Much for the Afterglow, which is a genuinely great album.

Art Alexakis is the only original still in the band which is fine because none of the other guys matter. 80% of their set was from the album, with the rest split between really old pre-fame songs for the hard core fans (there were several in attendance) and a few later releases which were as awful as you would imagine. They brought the house down with "Father of Mine" (Christ, Art, you're 55 -- get over it) and a hundred drunk Virginia good ol' boys were openly weeping about their deadbeat dads.

The opening acts were Fastball and Vertical Horizon. I had absolutely no memory of the latter. When the former did "The Way" I commented that it was the worst cover of the (in 1998, amazingly kick-as-s) song I'd ever heard, and then learned it was the original band doing it. Sad!
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I saw Everclear at Celebrate Fairfax! Saturday night. They're touring the 20th anniversary of So Much for the Afterglow, which is a genuinely great album.

Art Alexakis is the only original still in the band which is fine because none of the other guys matter. 80% of their set was from the album, with the rest split between really old pre-fame songs for the hard core fans (there were several in attendance) and a few later releases which were as awful as you would imagine. They brought the house down with "Father of Mine" (Christ, Art, you're 55 -- get over it) and a hundred drunk Virginia good ol' boys were openly weeping about their deadbeat dads.

The opening acts were Fastball and Vertical Horizon. I had absolutely no memory of the latter. When the former did "The Way" I commented that it was the worst cover of the (in 1998, amazingly kick-as-s) song I'd ever heard, and then learned it was the original band doing it. Sad!
    So Fastball didn't age well.

As for Vertical Horizon, they had a couple hits with "Everything You Want" and "You're A God."
    ― Franz Kafka

Speaking of third-rate grunge ripoff acts, let me know when Seven Mary Three is reuniting. They might still be worthy of opening for Creed and/or Live.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Speaking of third-rate grunge ripoff acts, let me know when Seven Mary Three is reuniting. They might still be worthy of opening for Creed and/or Live.
    Them and Our Lady Peace
    ― Franz Kafka

Pink Floyd - P.U.L.S.E.

As I drove from Eveleth to International Falls at night in a downpour with quite the display of lightning.

Sorrow was particularly cool with that backdrop.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    As for Vertical Horizon, they had a couple hits with "Everything You Want" and "You're A God."
    Dr. Mrs. was amazed I had never heard either song.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Dr. Mrs. was amazed I had never heard either song.
    "Everything You Want" is also known as "Super Cock Block Frustrations."
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Drove home from work tonight with "Green" by R.E.M. in the CD player. "Orange Crush and "Turn You Inside Out" are excellent driving songs. Good reminder that summer is here.
    ― Franz Kafka

Thread Information