No announcement yet.

UCONN 2015-2016: The Hockey East Journey Continues..the Future Looks Bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCONN 2015-2016: The Hockey East Journey Continues..the Future Looks Bright

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    (Y) This is gonna be fun!!
    Dick I thought you would like these comments from Letunov:

ManthonyCourant 8:40pm via Twitter Web Client
    Maxim Letunov with a little charisma when talking about UConn: "I heard they struggled on the power player last year. Not next year."

ManthonyCourant 8:42pm via Twitter Web Client
    Maxim Letunov: "When I committed to BU, UConn wasn’t even in picture. But it’s great program because coaches have done a lot last 2 years.”

ManthonyCourant 8:43pm via Twitter Web Client
    Maxim Letunov on UConn: "It's a program doing great things. I'll just be glad to be part of the team. I'm just really excited."

Comment

Originally posted by FDNY99 View Post
      The benefits of having Cav not have a full HE roster and adding 5 scholarships this season. What ever..I'll take it. Letunov and Masonius are 2 HUGE adds to the roster late in the recruiting game. It will be interesting to see how Cav fills out the lines with the new kids this season.
      I think it's a combination of having the extra scholarships, as well as Cav's relationships with player's advisers, NHL personnel and people close to the players. To get these caliber players, there is someone they trust telling them that UConn's program is on the rise. Can't wait until 10/3/2015!

Comment

Dick I thought you would like these comments from Letunov:

ManthonyCourant 8:40pm via Twitter Web Client
        Maxim Letunov with a little charisma when talking about UConn: "I heard they struggled on the power player last year. Not next year."

ManthonyCourant 8:42pm via Twitter Web Client
        Maxim Letunov: "When I committed to BU, UConn wasn’t even in picture. But it’s great program because coaches have done a lot last 2 years.”

ManthonyCourant 8:43pm via Twitter Web Client
        Maxim Letunov on UConn: "It's a program doing great things. I'll just be glad to be part of the team. I'm just really excited."
        The second quote really captures where the program was, where it is and where it is headed. Let's hope this perception permeates throughout all of junior hockey. The next one I'd like to see is CT's own, Chad Krys!

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
          I don't quite understand how these guys could get into UConn while being rejected by the UNH and bu admissions guardians. Are the latter schools trying to prove that they have tough academic standards for hockey players? Or is UConn more "flexible" than I have believed they were? I'd like to think that each of these athletes had "baggage" (clearinghouse problems etc.) that UConn was better able to handle. Any thoughts?

Hopefully these guys blend in well, and that your program can be competitive throughout the season (except against the other Huskies, of course).

UConn has plenty of experience in this area with top notch basketball recruits who are marginal

Comment

Agreed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkStar12 View Post
              I think it's a combination of having the extra scholarships, as well as Cav's relationships with player's advisers, NHL personnel and people close to the players. To get these caliber players, there is someone they trust telling them that UConn's program is on the rise. Can't wait until 10/3/2015!
              This clip from MSG Beginnings on Brian Boyle is tell tale Hawkstar12 about your comment on Cav's rep and relationships:
              https://youtu.be/JRPBdAX9g_g?t=12m40s

Comment

Some more good news:
                A season ticket base of about 1,500 last season is already up to about 2,000. Next season, WTIC-1080 is expected to broadcast all of UConn's home games, and Cavanaugh will hold a weekly "Coach's Show" at Dave & Buster's in Manchester.
                Full article here:
                http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-uco...803-story.html

Comment

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...ml?wappref=std
                  Season ticket sales total is now at 2219.

Comment

This is nice to see about Tage Thompson: (Via Twitter)
                    Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch 2h2 hours ago
                    97 F Tage Thompson (#UConn) is a legit 6'4+ now, great vision + puck protection. Year w/ NTDP helped in a big way. #Beantown #NHLDraft

Comment

More from Twitter on Tage Thompson from Benton Classic:
                      Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 3h3 hours ago
                      '98 LC John DeRoche (Quinnipiac), '97 RC Tage Thompson (UConn) and '96 RW Tim Allen were standouts in first game of Beantown Classic.

Comment

This is nice to see about Tage Thompson: (Via Twitter)
                        Over The Boards ‏@OTBPuckWatch 2h2 hours ago
                        97 F Tage Thompson (#UConn) is a legit 6'4+ now, great vision + puck protection. Year w/ NTDP helped in a big way. #Beantown #NHLDraft
                        This is fantastic. At 17, he may not be done growing. Certainly not physically.

That has me thinking about the strength and conditioning program for UConn. In my estimation, they could have been better last year, proven by being on the wrong side of some lopsided games late in the season. Talent/amount of scholarships factor in, so I guess we will find out the program's effectiveness this year with the addition of higher caliber players. Something to keep an eye on, as players are choosing the college route due to physically maturing off the ice, meaning UConn needs an above average reputation in this area.

Comment

As far as S&C go...Matt Balis not only is the S&C coach for the football team he also runs the entire S&C program for the athletic department. Considered one of the best S&C coaches in college, I'm not worried about S&C. I'm sure he has also had conversations with Cav about what he needs S&C wise.
                          Originally posted by HawkStar12 View Post
                          This is fantastic. At 17, he may not be done growing. Certainly not physically.

That has me thinking about the strength and conditioning program for UConn. In my estimation, they could have been better last year, proven by being on the wrong side of some lopsided games late in the season. Talent/amount of scholarships factor in, so I guess we will find out the program's effectiveness this year with the addition of higher caliber players. Something to keep an eye on, as players are choosing the college route due to physically maturing off the ice, meaning UConn needs an above average reputation in this area.

Comment

Used to be (days of the MAAC and AHA) S&C facilities were spread thin and hockey was not a priority. Their session times were terrible and many days they didn't even have access. Guessing that is no longer the case.
                            Last edited by RSTuthill; 08-10-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Rumor that Letunov's NCAA approval is not a rubber stamp. Could be Coach Cav's toughest selling job yet, as the NCAA can often be a difficult illogical institution to deal with....

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                Used to be (days of the MAAC and AHA) S&C facilities were spread thin and hockey was not a priority. Their session times were terrible and many days they didn't even have access. Guessing that is no longer the case.
                                This is one reason why they need t get the new on-campus barn/team facility built. Here is the facility link to Freitas...it shows a weight room but that may be in Gampel (which is now free due to the basketball practice facility having it's own gym):
                                http://www.uconnhuskies.com/faciliti...ice-forum.html
                                The S&C Coach for both them men's & women's hockey teams is Maureen Butler (link to her bio below):
                                http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/b...maureen01.html
                                Last edited by FDNY99; 08-10-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X