Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT

Since college hockey is a major development route to the NHL, it would make perfect sense for the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules Committee to approve the 3-on-3 overtime format. At a minimum, the NCAA should let the six leagues decide if they want to use the 3-on-3 overtime.
    (College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT)
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Re: Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT

No!!!!!!! It's a gimmick.

However if you play the ot differently than you play regulation, you need to adopt a 3-2-1 points system.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Heck, let's just get rid of OT until the playoffs. After 60 minutes, it's a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Heck, let's just get rid of OT until the playoffs. After 60 minutes, it's a tie.
        I like this idea a lot. I would like to see three points for a win, one point for a tie, and zero points for a loss too, just like how they do it in football. It makes the games much more exciting.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

This. Always and only this. Low scoring sports, where all of the "scores" are equal in value, end in ties sometimes. I never left a tied game thinking I was missing something. In fact, a good tie felt pretty good -- almost like a win, and a bad tie felt pretty bad -- almost like a loss.

Comment

Don't see what is wrong with a tie. The MOST popular sport in the world is quite happy with a draw. If the purpose is to draw the casual fan in, sorry but they aren't there for the game. Absolutely no reason to incorporate it into college hockey.

Comment

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! There are games where one team simply isn't better than the other and the leagues that haven't caved into the shootout have been smart enough to understand that (at least up to now). College hockey isn't broken so leave well enough alone. And for gosh sakes, stop trying to copy soccer!!
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! There are games where one team simply isn't better than the other and that haven't caved into the shootout are smart enough to understand that. College hockey isn't broken so leave well enough alone. And for gosh sakes, stop trying to copy soccer!!
                We aren't completely copying soccer. This is why, during the playoffs, we play until someone scores.

Comment

Sure, the 3 on 3 can be exciting, but why use a format in the regular season that you won't use in the post-season? Teams can win (or lose) valuable Pairwise points because they're real good (or real bad) at a type of game that they won't see once the NCAA tourney starts.

And yes, I know the NHL does it, but maybe that's why an 8 seed like LA can win the Cup, or a team like the recent Anaheim squads can finish at or near the top of the regular season standings but never make the finals.

Comment

The USHL is also going to 3 on 3 next season, at least partially.

They're going to a 7 minute overtime period that starts out 4x4. After the first whistle that's 3 minutes or more into the overtime, they switch to 3x3. I'm absolutely in the "A tie is a tie, leave it a tie" camp, but I've already lost that battle. Since the NCHC already is doing shootouts, which I am not a fan of (and not just bc my team can't score in shootouts), I'd rather have it go to 3x3 and have a higher chance of the game never going to a shootout. However, I don't like the idea of a 3x3 goal affecting the PWR. So if they did this, I'd say the PWR implication stop at 60 minutes... anything solved in OT goes down as a tie and is simply for conference points.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

No, no, no! Did I say no! I don't like this, nor do I like shootouts. I am happy with a five minute overtime and a tie in the regular season. Sometimes a late rally to tie feels like a victory.

Comment

We aren't completely copying soccer. This is why, during the playoffs, we play until someone scores.
                        Soccer at one time had the "Golden Goal" as well. FiFA nuff said

Comment

There are so many options and because there are different current rules for the different leagues, this convo kind of just goes in circles.

In the end I prefer anything that reduces the number of shootouts. This makes the old 5 minute and done format the best...

Comment

There are a number of us on this board who remember when college hockey played 10 minute overtimes. Blame the CCHA for the change.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I approve this message.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X